Skip to content

Elmunchkin

What's the point of Elminster?

Why does one of the realm's most powerful men stalk a level 1 character? Why doesn't he pester Sarevok or some other child of bhaal? They're all more dangerous, and a more immediate threat to his Harper ways.

He pops up everywhere, he's in almost every chapter. NPCs mention him, the main character can mention him... You can't even buy a drink in most taverns without seeing his name(Elminster's Choice beer...) And after all his encounters, he never actually helps in any way. He also shows no interest in avenging his friend Gorion's death. So why does he exist? He wont stay dead if you manage to kill him either.

Should have just replaced him with someone like Firebead Elvenhair, atleast he's likeable and helps you out.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    He's a plot device. His presence supposedly gives you, the player, a sense of importance and destiny. I agree that the way he's implemented into the story is weird, and at times even hypocritical - but this is a story, and some artistic liberty can probably be excused.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    His minimal intereference apart from pointing you in the right direction is meant to be because him becoming directly involved would actually cause Evil Deities to get their knickers in a twist and join in against you.

He's also a recognisable Forgotten Realms character, like Drizzt. Having him make just a few cameos doesn't distract from his own core story or cause deviations in FR Canon.
  • GreenpaktoGreenpakto Member Posts: 80
    edited November 2013

What's the point of Elminster?

Why does one of the realm's most powerful men stalk a level 1 character? Why doesn't he pester Sarevok or some other child of bhaal? They're all more dangerous, and a more immediate threat to his Harper ways.

SPOILER:
    Why you ask? Becasue you will become ONE of the most powerful men in the realm. He knows this. Why would he pester Sarevok when he is way weaker than you in the end? Think of elminister as a sort of man with knowledge of the past and future. He follows you cause he see potential in you.
    And thats exactly what happens. You defeat sarevok and you defeat every single last baalspawn eventually, and that is why he pesters you.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    I understand he's a famous FR character, and that's mostly the problem. His beaknose is forced into too many FR stories. His and Drizzt's books are quite bad. They could solve all the Sword Coast problems within a week, but they'd rather just stalk noobs and get bullied by gnolls.

If you know where you're going you can run into Elminster, Drizzt, and Volo within 5-10 mins of starting a new game. Are the Forgotten Realm's really so small?
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    In my games, I meet them because they are starstruck and want to meet a soon-to-be god of the FR.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Class levels are a game mechanic. People do not measure themselves or others in levels or classes. Why should Elminster do it?
    There's nothing to be grateful for... The fat hermit in the area where Gorion dies tells you the same things as Elminster, with half the ramblings and no deception.

Even if he wasn't Elminster he still doesn't come across right. When you first run into him after Gorion's death, he straight up asks if you're desperate or deranged... How can anyone possibly respond to that in a good way.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Just Ctrl-Y him everytime you see him... and pretend he didn't exist. :P
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Obviously by telling him that his pestering of strangers makes his own mental status questionable. Works every time, and it gets you respect points with the Big E.
    Elendar said:

I like your style :) Just pretend the Xvarts killed him before I got there

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Elendar said:

Or Time Stop + Shapechange + Mind Flyers change if you want to kill him being an HL Mage... :P

• There's nothing to be grateful for... The fat hermit in the area where Gorion dies tells you the same things as Elminster, with half the ramblings and no deception.

You call Klossed a fat hermit?? You bastard (sword)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316

elminster said:

Some people just aren't grateful. Basically you have a high level character who for once isn't trying to kill you. In fact occasionally in his ramblings he points you in the right direction (or tells you you can trust Scar).

As for the fact that he doesn't help other spawns of Bhaal well he is helping a spawn of Bhaal whom he knows was raised by a Harper. Maybe he is hoping that either he or Jaheira and Khalid can have some positive influence on you in your early stages of adventuring.

Gee, I'm not even playing the game right now and here he is, sharing his wisdom!

Now that's spooky!
    I poke around threads from time to time :p
  • EleassarEleassar Member Posts: 11
    edited November 2013
    Adul said:

[...]

Any why do you meet both Drizzt and Volo within a week of leaving Candlekeep? Because they're famous FR heroes and every 12-year-old D&D fan wanted to meet them. Myself included.

Call it destiny or something.

Strange...as a 12-year old I would have rather met the Simbul or any orther of the (supposedly hot) daughters of Mystra. ;)

Edit: But to post something on topic: I just always pretend, he actually closely monitors Charnames progress and would interfere if deemed necessary.