Skip to content

How Do I Import My Game?

For the love of God, I feel like an idiot.

I've been using computers since the late 80's. Why is it that I can't figure out where the file needs to go so I can import my game in BG2:EE? It didn't automatically show up, so I went looking and... I can't figure out this weird Beamdog directory. I don't even know if I'm looking the right place. I am so frustrated with Windows 8 I can hardly type straight, and this is really irritating me. I have no idea what I'm looking at or where BG2:EE is installed.

Comments

• acw18acw18 Member Posts: 62
    edited November 2013
    Granted I use windows 7 but I just went to start -> documents -> Bgee -> save, then I copied my save game (was called Final Save as that is the auto save that is made after the final battle of bgee).

Then I pasted it into the save folder in the bg2ee directory which for me was much like bgee's: start -> documents -> bg2ee.

I had to make a save folder to put it in. Just create a folder that is called "save" with no caps. then paste your final save into there and it should show up when you click new game and click import from saved game. Hope this helps.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Every time I loaded my final save the game crashed...

I just created a Characters folder in the BGIIE folder in My Documents and pasted my exported .chr and .bio files. That is working.
    JLee said:

I just created a Characters folder in the BGIIE folder in My Documents and pasted my exported .chr and .bio files. That is working.

I don't think you load the game, but you are supposed to go to new game then import from saved game.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Thanks, the almost file-less directory had me confused. I'm going to try it now (when I made a test character and saved the game, the folder showed up magically).
    acw18 said:

JLee said:

I don't think you load the game, but you are supposed to go to new game then import from saved game.
    Do you mean there is a "import from saved game " option somewhere? It does not show up anywhere after the new game option, only character generator, at least from what I am seeing.
    JLee said:

acw18 said:

JLee said:

Do you mean there is a "import from saved game " option somewhere? It does not show up anywhere after the new game option, only character generator, at least from what I am seeing.
    Once you click new game, and go to create character, in the bottom right hand corner there is a button that says "import" if you click that you get an option to import character or saved game. That's how I was able to to do it anyway.

acw18 said:

JLee said:

acw18 said:

JLee said:

Once you click new game, and go to create character, in the bottom right hand corner there is a button that says "import" if you click that you get an option to import character or saved game. That's how I was able to to do it anyway.

Ahhhh...gotcha!

Same steps as pasting .chr files, but thanks for clearing that up!
    Just to confirm, once the save game folder was in place I was able to copy/paste my final save in and it worked by importing. As a separate note, after I copy/pasted my custom portraits folder into the base directory of BG2:EE it was able to recognize the custom portraits on my incoming saved games with no problem.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    edited November 2013
    Where do the custom portraits go? I was having issues with that last night.
    I have Windows 8. I copied the folder named Portraits I made and pasted it into Libraries/Documents/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition right in the base directory.
  • MarkyBoyMarkyBoy Member Posts: 1
    I used the "save file" method described earlier. I copied the save file I wanted from BGEE1, and pasted it into BGEE2. Does this work the same as using the character file? I want to make sure the game knows I did certain things (romanced Neera, completed Dorn's quest, etc.) Copying and pasting this save game should do that?
    MarkyBoy said:

I used the "save file" method described earlier. I copied the save file I wanted from BGEE1, and pasted it into BGEE2. Does this work the same as using the character file? I want to make sure the game knows I did certain things (romanced Neera, completed Dorn's quest, etc.) Copying and pasting this save game should do that?

Well, in my game using the Final Save still netted me the golden pantaloons, chainmail +3 and the helm of balduran. I'd say that it carries any flags over.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Step by Step instructions for Importing a Game are included in the Comment Below.

Note, it looks like there's a current bug with importing that keeps your main character from speaking (actually voicing over sound) his general lines.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/400152/#Comment_400152

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Plot flags don't carry over yet.