Skip to content

Sword Spider Lore

VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
I've always been interested in learning more about these creatures since I started playing these games. My efforts to find more info about them though haven't gone so well, I was wondering if anyone might know of a place I could read more about them or had some info to share on the thread?

To give you an idea of how limited my knowledge is of them, I don't even know if they are 100% organic, cybernetic (the legs being swords and all?), or if they are considered constructs.

All I know is I like them and would like to learn more :)

Comments

• KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Sword Spider
    This giant hunting spider is native to jungles, but has been introduced into the Underdark by drow traders. It has a sleek, hairy, black body with brown stripes. Its legs have bony plates with sharp, raised ridges that cut like sword blades.
    Against formidable prey, a sword spider leaps horizontally as far as 30 feet, and lands legs forward, impaling its prey. Only one attack roll is made for the creature. If the attack is successful, the victim is struck by a number of legs based on its size: size S, three legs; size M, four legs; size L, five legs; size H, six legs; size G, all eight legs. If the spider's leap is greater than 20 feet, each leg receives a +1 bonus to damage. Any upward attack against the leaping spider receives a -4 to the attack roll, due to the impaling blades which protect the spider.

Source: http://www.dotd.com/mm/MM00271.htm
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited November 2013
    I can say they are very fast, very susceptible to Fireball after Fireball, like all the enemies, well, almost!
    And they are spiders, so their ugliness level suppresses that of Mind Flyers.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    @Kurumi
    Thank you, that is quite a bit more info than I was able to dig up. Still a bit less than I hoped for, but very nice bit of information there :)

@CrevsDaak
    Spiders need love too! XD Seriously though, loved the comment :)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Varwulf I think the only thing I'm afraid of, are spiders. No, really.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    @CrevsDaak And Sword Spiders take the top of the list for me :)