Skip to content

Durlag's tower worth doing?

Hi,

So tonight I finished off Sarevok, I thought Durlag's Tower would of been something to do afterwards due to it being an expansion but it seems it isn't.

My question is it worth the bother? BG2:EE is waiting for me so should I just carry onto the next expansion?

I have missed the majority of the map off but now it's completed it almost seems pointless going back to finish anything I've missed as you can't take items across to the next game. Does Durlag's Tower or any parts of the map not included in the main storyline offer anything thrilling that would be worth doing before carrying on into the next game?

Cheers

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Durlag's Tower is a great and lengthy dungeon, but apart from the experience of playing through it there's nothing your character can bring over to BG2. I'd recommend all BG players to go through it at least once.

On the other hand, if you want to go to BG2, go to BG2. No point in doing old content if there's something else you'd rather do.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Tome of Wisdom FTW.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited November 2013
    Ulgoth's Beard offers several brand new quests, of which Durlag's Tower is just one of them. There is also the Isle of Balduran and the Shandalar's Island.

Personally I really enjoyed the experience. Some of it is pretty challenging and there are some epic battles to be had. But in terms of preparation for BG 2 EE... No you don't need to do any of the Ulgoth's Beard quests. I don't think u gain any new items that can be carried over, but you do get a bit more xp (161k cap) and maybe some extra spells if your Charname is a mage of some sort.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Oh, yeah - that's absolutely right. Don't even have to go very far into the tower for it.
  • RyshardRyshard Member Posts: 51
    maybe ill go in for the wisdom tome then as I'm a Druid and will benefit from it :)
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    The experience is a great reason to fully explore the dungeon, so you can have the maximum possible strength character, which will benefit you in BG2 as well.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited November 2013
    Durlag's Tower (and the battle with Aec Lectec that comes afterwards) are totally worth doing. The tower its an enthralling dungeon which will challenge your BG-playing skills and reward you handsomely with XP and items.

From a power-gaming perspective:
    The Doppelganger monsters, found in level 2 of the dungeon, probably have the best XP value in the game (4000).
    There is a tome of Wisdom in the above-ground portion of the tower.
    There are a number of awesome items (Staff Spear +2, Mace +2, Longsword of Flame + 1, Two-handed Sword +3). The Longsword + 1 is probably the best longsword in the game as it receives a big bonus against certain types of enemies.
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    Shin said:

there's nothing your character can bring over to BG2.

Apart from a +1 to wisdom

If the OP doesn't care about that, then by all means skip it
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    It can be quite rewarding, but it's not something I care to tackle every playthrough. Though I would suggest that if you do then take on Durlag's Tower before you try out the werewolf island you set off to from Ulgoth's Beard as you collect some good treasure in the tower that will prove useful on the island. Not to mention it will help make the loot feel less pointless than had you completed everything else and were left with nothing but Sarevok to fight with your new nice gear.
  • RyshardRyshard Member Posts: 51
    Cheers Guys,

I think I'll ignore the fact the BG2 is available and carry on enjoying what this one has to offer. I'd like to think that I'd completed everything at least once.

:)
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577

Shin said:

there's nothing your character can bring over to BG2.

Apart from a +1 to wisdom

AND the experience... his character can most certainly bring that with him into BG2! I'm repeating myself because it seems like some folks are overlooking this.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    I've said this before but...

It's fun try at least once, but once you're familiar with it it's basically just a dungeon crawl. And the best part of a dungeon crawl is the loot. However, you don't get to keep your loot for long, which basically defeats the purpose of going through it in the first place.

And BG2 throws so much exp at you that the extra 50k or so exp you get from completing Durlag's isn't going to matter outside of Irenicus' dungeon.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah, I usually skip the basement of Durlag's for the sake of time because I've already seen it and I don't need another dungeon crawl. If you're strong enough to roll through then you don't need the experience, and if you're not then there are easier places to get stronger. I like the werewolf island and I usually do that for an exp boost.

But if you've never done it definitely do it, it's the best dungeon in the game.