Skip to content

Best Suggestion for a Homemade Physical Copy

Can anyone give me some good strategies for making a homemade physical copy of BG:EE and BG2:EE? Specifically, what I'm looking for is a way to dl both games at some point, most likely a bit into the future when they have been patched as much as they are going to get patched, and transfer all of the game data onto separate disks or a flashdrive. I'm doing this simply as a backup in the event that the downloader is no longer able to connect to Beamdog's servers, for whatever reason.

Is creating a physical copy as simple as copy/pasting the contents of the game folder onto a disk/FD, or is there data outside of the game directory that I need to make sure I capture in order to have a playable version of the game on my disk/FD? I seem to remember trying to make copies of games back in the day and the simple copy/paste method never seemed to produce a fully functioning game.

Thanks for any tips guys.

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited November 2013
    You just need to copy the contents of the game folder, i.e. 00766 for BG:EE and 00783 for BGII:EE.

If you have any custom portraits or saves you'd like to back up, those will be in your Documents folder.
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    Are you talking about JUST the "data" folder?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    No, everything in the numbered folders I mentioned.
    Ah ok, I see what you're saying, I didn't know the actual baldur.exe file was in that numbered folder. Thanks for being patient w/ me here and walking me through it.

The game directory goes BG2:EE (bunch of misc files in here) --> Data (bunch of misc files in here) --> 00783. So I don't need all of those misc files in the levels above the 00783 folder, are they just related to the downloader?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It might be a good idea to grab all of it, just so you'll have the launcher ready to go. The launcher will let you install updates as they become available.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    Don't forget to add the OpenAL installer to your backup as you might need it when you install later. You can find the installer in C:\Program Files (x86\OpenAL, or C:\Program Files\OpenAL if you have a 32 bit version of Windows.
    Gotcha, thanks guys!