Skip to content

SoA starts in mysterious forest

KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
edited November 2013 in Not An Issue
Starting a new SoA game results in this:

Starting area, camera zoomed where green square is...
http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/KirisahSuns/Black Pits/Baldr013.png

...character gets attacked in visible area:
http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/KirisahSuns/Black Pits/Baldr014.png

I imported my Blackguard; she has full inventory and can't hit the 2 mists with anything. There's also a bunch of orcs that I can hit and kill for 95 XP and some gold. I tried to create a new charname and the same thing happens.

Maybe I'm missing something very obvious here, but shouldn't I wake up in the dungeon...? I looked at some Let's Play videos and apparently, this doesn't happen to other people.

Beamdog launcher, Win 7, no mods, no console.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    nah those are the misty figures that are coming to capture you :) (sarcasm)

that is very strange. I've started my character twice in hopes to fix something myself but neither time have I experienced that. what if you console yourself into irenicus' dungeon?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited November 2013
    Eudaemonium guessed it's the forest outside Suldanessalar... I doubt I get captured there. The absence of Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, Dynaheir and Imoen gave it away. :P

I first thought it's maybe a tutorial or something of the ambush, but alas... it's game over as soon as I die, and there's nothing to do but killing those orcs, a cave I can enter, a deer or something... and death. :|

Oh and I don't have console enabled. I had at first, then disabled it again and created a new ini, thinking I messed something up. But that didn't change anything.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I concur--it looks like outside Suldanesselar. The tutorial area is ar0015 and the multiplayer start area is ar4000. I did a reverse lookup on Crimson Death and sure enough they are present in ar2600, which is outside Suldanesselar. I can't imagine how your game starts there unless startare.2da has a mistake in it.
  • WateversWatevers Member Posts: 25
    Hahah! That's honestly a LoL bug. Reminds me of Ultima 9.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    I can't... even begin to imagine what is going on here.

Is there anything in your override directory at all?
  • tobajastobajas Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2013
    Okey I just tried to check out the multiplayer part and every single time I started one I ended up in the forest aswell did'nt matter if I made 1 or 6 new characters. Single player still puts me in the dungeon.

You sure you are trying to start a singleplayer game correct?

Also Mathsorcerer you sure about multiplayer start area is ar4000? Because that is the Spirit Heads from Throne of Bhaal aka the starting area for TOB unless they changed it now.

I am however pretty sure the starting area for multiplayer is the same as before.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    tobajas said:

Also Mathsorcerer you sure about multiplayer start area is ar4000? Because that is the Spirit Heads from Throne of Bhaal aka the starting area for TOB unless they changed it now.

Let me double-check startare.2da.....yes, it says start_area_mp is ar4000. Yes, that is the stone head area which begins ToB. No, I do not know why it would start a multiplayer game there. Let me check one other thing....no, a new MP game started in SoA began in ar602, which is referenced by start_area. Perhaps, then, the stone head area will begin only a ToB mp game. I don't normally play mp,which is why I had to double-check.

I still don't know how @KidCarnival's game is beginning in ar2600. That is simply odd.

The cosmetic revisions is in my override and works fine in BP2, except for some - possibly unrelated - weird strings and spell descriptions.

I just click "Shadows of Amn", Single Player, New Game. So ya, not starting a multiplayer, definitely.
    What happens if you temporarily remove everything from override? Does the issue still occur?
    LiamEsler said:

What happens if you temporarily remove everything from override? Does the issue still occur?

O.o Now it starts in the dungeon.

Just checked what else is in there; apparently I was a bit hasty to say "no mods" (I copied the BG1 override folder because it's just itm files):

- a couple of items: wizard staff, black ankheg, black elven chain by Pecca (pre-WeiDu version, though they are added to High Hedge - maybe area ID conflict from this?)
    - colorless arch magi robes (basically the same as cosmetic revisions, just itm files)
    - Hades Hand / Ebon Lash (pre-WeiDu, also just itm)
    - a temp fix for a crash in BG1 in the city (if I'm not mistaken, it's also only an itm, but might do something regarding area ID)
    - cosmetic revisions

I shall try adding things one by one and hopefully find the evil.

Yeah, you'll need to delete any BG1-related files, sorry! Item files may not work properly anyway, as they'll have incorrect strings and the effects may differ.
    Black Elven Chain / Wizard Staff / Black Ankheg / NoColor Arch Magi Robe / Hades Hand / Ebon Lash: no issue

I'm guessing it is the BG1 fix for the crash in a city area. @tobajas, did you copy your override with that fix, too, by any chance?
  • tobajastobajas Member Posts: 77

Black Elven Chain / Wizard Staff / Black Ankheg / NoColor Arch Magi Robe / Hades Hand / Ebon Lash: no issue

I'm guessing it is the BG1 fix for the crash in a city area. @tobajas, did you copy your override with that fix, too, by any chance?

Hmm no I did'nt have anything added for BG1 this time around I did add in the xp cap remover for BG1 last night to see if it works, and it did but yeah my singleplayer starts correctly and my multiplayer starts in the woods.
    Oops, I had XP cap remover, too. It's gone now, guess it counts as BG1 file.