Skip to content

Party AI in BG2EE - Seems to work haphazardly

Is it just me, or is the party AI really unpredictable in BG2EE? It worked really well in BGEE. But in BG2EE sometimes my party will attack, other times they will just stand there until I tell them to attack the enemy that's 2 feet away from them.

Comments

• styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    The 1.2 patch fixed the AI in bgee for me. It works great. But yeah I know what you mean, my party was doing that too. If they brought the same AI from 1.2 of the first game to bg2ee (which hopefully they will with this first patch when it comes out) then I'll be a happy camper.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    They tend to get tired of hitting the same target, yeah :/
  • RazaDelromRazaDelrom Member Posts: 149
    edited November 2013
    I have to agree, the BG1:EE scripts do their job, but the BG2:ee are rather random. Sometimes the mage decides to cast the defence spell, then runs for his life even though she was not attacked, then does nothing. Or she stands around and starts to cast the defence the moment I drop the last enemy.
    Also I do miss the Ranged thief script, where your thief will look for traps while no enemy is present, and shoot the enemy if he comes into sight.
    Actually I think I turned the AI off for all but the melee chars. And even then they need some encouragement.
    KidCarnival
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    I should point out that I'm just using Custom (Default) for everyone. I'm not expecting any spells to be cast or anything, just wanting melee guys to attack when an enemy is nearby and the archers to launch their missiles.

That is happening unreliably for me. It was working great in BGEE. I'll decide when my party casts a spell, so no need for that.
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    Hmm, so Standard Attack seems to work okay. But Custom (Default) is pretty hosed in BG2EE.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    NPCs do the "non-combat" parts of scripts, like search traps, but the "will defend themselves with ranged or melee weapon" part is random. Mages will cast, but there's no guarantee when (script says "casts strongest defensive spell, then offensive spells --> mage casts Armor, then strolls to next target and attacks with quarterstaff or --> mage attacks with ranged weapon, then casts Mirror Image and just stands there). Huh? But I have only few issues with melee scripts, standard attack, defend caster, attack caster works ok, except that "attack caster" results in attacking the caster a few times, then changing the target.
    elminster
  • ParoniParoni Member Posts: 10
    Same here, sometimes I have trouble getting fighters to attack a specific target, or mages to stay back, or archers to fire at a specific target. It gets really annoying, so usually I just turn AI off for tough battles.