Skip to content

Update System Requirements

EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
Based on this quote from Trent, I think the system requirements should be eventually re-written and updated for BG:EE and BG2:EE. I was able to run BG:EE seamlessly before 1.2 and BG2:EE has the same FPS issues as 1.2 with my hardware. The fact of the matter is that certain hardware that met the posted requirements for the game can't run it smoothly anymore since 1.2 and many people who met the BG2:EE requirements have the same issue with slowed down gameplay.

We've re-written major chunks of the file and memory handling, so performance choke points have changed.

These are the listed System Requirements for BG2:EE from the website

Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent
Memory: 256 MB
Storage: 2.5 GB of hard drive space
Video Card: Direct X 9.0c capable videocard

And these are the listed System Requirements for BG:EE from the website

Required System Memory (MB) 512 MB
Minimum Graphics OpenGL 1.1 compatible
Processor Speed (GHz) 1 GHZ

I guess the system requirements aren't exactly based on running the game smoothly, but the minimum hardware required to run it in general.. I don't know. I think it should be updated in the future

Thoughts?
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    any comment on why this was moved to "new members section"

...lol
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400

any comment on why this was moved to "new members section"

...lol

There's no "edited" tag on your post, so it doesn't look like it has been moved after you originally posted it. And yes, editions like that (also when done by mods/admins) are noted on the post.

"New Members Welcome Area" is the standard selection when you hit "New Discussion", so most likely you just forgot to change it, or somehow it defaulted back after you changed it.
    edited November 2013
    thanks for moving the thread whomever
    Post edited by EnterHaerDalis on
    Guess I'm the only one with this issue then. I've reached a point where the game is completely unplayable. Fights are too big, too many spells and effects and the FPS drops to a sloths crawl.

I had fun while the smooth gameplay lasted - I'm very curious what the actual minimum requirements are for lag free gameplay though
    Is anybody else still having this issue with the drastic reduction in frame rate/gameplay slowdown?

It's highly disappointing when you purchase a game and it runs perfectly smooth then a patch, in this case 1.2, makes the game completely unplayable. I feel the least Beamdog can do it update the system requirements so that they are accurate in relation to a smooth gaming experience...

Maybe there is a way I can revert to the patch prior to 1.2 because it was actually playable

• TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Unfortunately- and I know this is of no help to you- this happens a lot with games. Especially MMO's. Game runs fine, then a patch happens, and suddenly the game won't run anymore.

You can reinstall the game and block it's connection to the internet (heck, if you're running windows, you probably had to give it access to the internet in the first place because window's is so paranoid). That will prevent it from patching at all, and will allow you to run the base game with no problems. Of course, you won't have Baeloth, the latest kits, and the latest improvements... but you'll at least have a stable game. =/

I have a good machine, so this runs with no problem, but I feel for you. I've had that 'game suddenly upgrades, and suddenly becomes unplayable' issue before.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    The update v1.2 for BG:EE as well as BG2:EE introduced new texture formats among other things, so it might be a graphics card issue. Updating the video drivers or setting the video settings to max. performance may help somewhat.
    Twani said:

Unfortunately- and I know this is of no help to you- this happens a lot with games. Especially MMO's. Game runs fine, then a patch happens, and suddenly the game won't run anymore.

You can reinstall the game and block it's connection to the internet (heck, if you're running windows, you probably had to give it access to the internet in the first place because window's is so paranoid). That will prevent it from patching at all, and will allow you to run the base game with no problems. Of course, you won't have Baeloth, the latest kits, and the latest improvements... but you'll at least have a stable game. =/

I have a good machine, so this runs with no problem, but I feel for you. I've had that 'game suddenly upgrades, and suddenly becomes unplayable' issue before.

Really? Like what games? I don't know of a single game where a patch actually increases the system requirements. It just seems strange that they would do this, and especially strange they essentially did it under the table with no announcement. What was wrong with the game pre 1.2 that actually required re-writing of major components like memory handling and textures or whatever they did. I can't wrap my head around it
    argent77 said:

The update v1.2 for BG:EE as well as BG2:EE introduced new texture formats among other things, so it might be a graphics card issue. Updating the video drivers or setting the video settings to max. performance may help somewhat.

My video card is old, but it is up to date. Still, I was able to play the game flawlessly for around a year with no issues at all
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    edited January 2014
    What are your computer specs @EnterHaerDalis ?

What are your computer specs @EnterHaerDalis ?

they are god awful, but they meet the system requirements and worked perfectly for a year so it's kind of irrelevant. Clearly I don't meet the system requirements for 1.2 and BG2:EE despite technically meeting them. They need to be updated, it's simply dishonest