Skip to content

[Multiplayer] Crash during area transition

knasknas Member Posts: 50
edited November 2013 in Fixed
Starting since the latest patch we're experiencing crashing when moving between map transitions. Only on the world map transitions. The game just freezes in the loading for all of us. We're three players currently.

It's frustrating since it happens in 3/4 cases :(
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• spadefootspadefoot Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2012
    When playing multiplayer, entering or leaving the Friendly Inn will cause the non-server players (in this case 2 other people) to drop from the game about 90% of the time. There is a longer than normal pause during the transition and then, when it returns control to me, I have the whole party and my friends that I'm (trying to) play with are knocked out of the game.
    Post edited by Dee on
  • PshlosPshlos Member Posts: 41
    same here
  • RylornRylorn Member Posts: 1
    Same thing for my group of 3, the game is hardly playable yet in online multiplayer.
  • LoneOtakuLoneOtaku Member Posts: 3
    Same thing here. It's worse when we try getting into the friendly arm inn, it crashes plain and simple for everyone but the host. The rest of the time when the game "hangs" in transition between areas, if a player exits the game, everything goes back to normal...
  • knasknas Member Posts: 50
    Works fine on 2 people, soon as you play 3 player you get the issues. :(
    It's been mentioned elsewhere, but here's what works for me and my group: Have the hosting player take control of all the characters before you transition. The other players don't have to drop from the game, they just won't have any characters under their control until you hand them back to them. This worked tonight for us for almost 4 hours of play.
    Thanks Spade! Will try that
    Pshlos, I've found that you can get round this by transferring control of the whole party to the host, letting him do the transition and then you can give control back to the other players after the transition. This worked for several hours worth of play last night for my group.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It seems to be tied to the Auto-Save; either way, it's been reported.
    This is related to the area-transition bug. It seems to be related to auto-save.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @spadefoot / @rylorn do you have a savegame you can send me where the crash is easily reproducible? I'm trying to get this happening in-house consistently.
    @Nathan
    To reproduce:

Start a multiplayer session between yourself and someone else. Navigate to an area where you know there's an auto-save area transition (between maps, for example), and without taking control of all the characters try to exit the area.

The game seems to crash--at least if I understand it correctly--because it's trying to auto-save all of the players at once, rather than just the host.
    @nathan
    As Aosaw says, it's reproducible at any transition that requires you to gather your party before leaving. I did find that I had to have 3 players in the game for it to be a problem (Me {the host}, and 2 others). If the other players are in control of their characters when you transition, they will be dropped from the game when you get to the other side of the transition. If the host takes control of all the characters, it'll transition fine. If you'd like one of my savegames, I'll be happy to send it.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @spadefoot please, nathan (at) beamdog.com :)

@Aosaw thanks for the information.
    We took a break from BGEE, but we're hoping to continue our campaign now, has this been patched yet? Couldn't find any mention of it in the patch notes.
  • goldstubblegoldstubble Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Hey there, just wanted to add here that my friend and I are experiencing this issue with patch 1.2 (and had not experienced it when we last played MP around release time). I will attempt to use the host controls all characters "hotfix" for now. Thanks.

Note: We are using the non-steam PC version with no mods.