Skip to content

Am I missing something, or BG2EE truly does not keep any variables from imported games?

I might be just a wee bit thick, but iirc the developers said back at BGEE days that the Neera romance can be continued in BG2EE, and I've always assumed it meant carrying over the NEERA_ROMANCE=3 variable. now, with a bit of dicking around (copying char/save files), I've managed to import my BGEE character into BG2EE... but according to EEKeeper, no such variable was carried over. Am I missing something, or is said variable wholly unimportant then?

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Variables don't carry over.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    thank you.
  • lemonjuicelemonjuice Member Posts: 18
    What are variables exactly, does it mean it makes no difference whether you import a save game or create a new game?
  • tithintithin Member Posts: 31

What are variables exactly, does it mean it makes no difference whether you import a save game or create a new game?

Think of variables as flags on your character, saying what quests you've done, what options you've taken in the story, etc etc.

As variables don't carry over from BGEE to BG2EE, it essentialy means that any options taken (Bar one item from the original game) don't have any effect on BG2EE.

You could have killed all of the new characters and made them your mortal enemy - and when importing it won't recall that.

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    This will be fixed in a forthcoming patch. :)
    LiamEsler said:

When are we playing borderlands, Liam? >:(
    tithin said:

Think of variables as flags on your character, saying what quests you've done, what options you've taken in the story, etc etc.

As variables don't carry over from BGEE to BG2EE, it essentialy means that any options taken (Bar one item from the original game) don't have any effect on BG2EE.

You could have killed all of the new characters and made them your mortal enemy - and when importing it won't recall that.

Will the romance continue in this specific case where you left it? Does it make any difference, or how does it work?

• SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    for some reason, the only variable that carried over for the original is if Drizzt died or not.
    edited November 2013

tithin said:

Will the romance continue in this specific case where you left it? Does it make any difference, or how does it work?

Until the proferred patch mentioned above, the romance won't continue, because the game does not import those variables related to the romance. To Neera, you're some dude she had an adventure with for a time, but not any "adventures" with.
    No, no, no, you'll be able to romance her now still—she just won't acknowledge that you two had a fling in the first game. When variable importing works, she'll say something extra to you if you romanced her.
    Jalily said:

No, no, no, you'll be able to romance her now still—she just won't acknowledge that you two had a fling in the first game. When variable importing works, she'll say something extra to you if you romanced her.

Will the BG2 romance be the same as BG? Will it be the same but extended? Will it just extend to ToB?

I am sorry for all these questions, but I want to figure out if I am going to play both games, cause I don't really want to "have to" play BG.

In short, what will I miss if I don't play BG but just BG2?
    edited November 2013
    @lemonjuice There are 3 romance dialogs in BG:EE that are not replicated in BGII:EE, so you will miss those. But that's all :)
    The romances in BGII:EE are much longer and do continue in ToB.

If you start with BGII:EE, you'll miss very little in terms of the romances. However, if story is important to you, the second game will be much more enjoyable if you've played the first at some point and know what happened, both in the main plot and in the new NPC's questlines.
    edited November 2013
    LiamEsler said:

@lemonjuice There are 3 romance dialogs in BG:EE that are not replicated in BGII:EE, so you will miss those. But that's all :)

That's something I can live without.

So with no variables and story being kept, I can start "clean" with BG2EE. Sweet.
    Jalily said:

The romances in BGII:EE are much longer and do continue in ToB.

If you start with BGII:EE, you'll miss very little in terms of the romances. However, if story is important to you, the second game will be much more enjoyable if you've played the first at some point and know what happened, both in the main plot and in the new NPC's questlines.

I had played BG before many years back, so I know stuff more or less, although can't remember much.

The characters are too weak at that level, especially with the party I want to make. That's the main reason I want to skip it.

• JoeJoe Member Posts: 6

The characters are too weak at that level, especially with the party I want to make. That's the main reason I want to skip it.

Ah, but that's half the fun! There's not many times in the series you'll want to run from a Kobold, or Hobgoblin archer; relish those moments :-)
    Joe said:

Ah, but that's half the fun! There's not many times in the series you'll want to run from a Kobold, or Hobgoblin archer; relish those moments :-)
    You're probably right.

The other reason was because I would want to rush through it to get to what I really want to play, but I shouldn't think like that.

I'll think about it still, but you almost convinced me :D
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    LiamEsler said:

Is there a new magic at work in the exported CHR files to support variables or will this be restricted to importing from a save game?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2013
    Yeah Liam, come on, when are we playing Borderlands? >:(

... And yikes. Maybe I should just wait until said patch comes out before playing ... Not carrying over the variables is kinda sucky. My smooth, swashbuckling Shenanigan Flanagan very much enjoyed making out with Neera and it cannot go ignored! I guess for the first go I'll just start a new character in BGII instead of taking one of my ready-for-BGII BG1 PCs into the game. /shrug
    @Isaya It will be restricted to savegame imports.
  • RazaDelromRazaDelrom Member Posts: 149
    edited November 2013
    Isaya said:

LiamEsler said:

Is there a new magic at work in the exported CHR files to support variables or will this be restricted to importing from a save game?
    Why would there be any changes on the .chr - oh wait that is a great question.

If I start a Shadowdancer in BG2, can I import it via .chr back to BG? The SD should have a much friendlier backstab modifier in BG2.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Any plans to extend this to carry over stat changes, accumulated exp, proficiencies and spells?
    I know it's easy to edit on your own, but I think it'd be a small change with a large immersion impact, still.
  • RazaDelromRazaDelrom Member Posts: 149
    On terms of immersion it might actually be acceptable that you forget some things, since someone is not very gently messing with your head that is.
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    It would also be nice that if a certain character got chunked back on the Sword Coast, they wouldn't magically be back alive in BG2. It would add a nice little bit of continuity
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

On terms of immersion it might actually be acceptable that you forget some things, since someone is not very gently messing with your head that is.

I meant NPC stat changes etc. Your own character already imports fully.
  • kissoffkissoff Member Posts: 27
    LiamEsler said:

@Isaya It will be restricted to savegame imports.

Does that mean that all games created before that patch is released will not carry over the variables and the new games created after the patch will do so?

• ChipDelHazardChipDelHazard Member Posts: 7
    Uh, choices carying over. Heck, I won't say no for another reason to replay the game, again:p
    @kissoff Old saves will be fine.
  • t4st4s Member Posts: 1
    Jalily said:

Is there a way to turn this variable on with the console in the meantime?