Skip to content

I used all tomes on my PC. Can I re-import the char and play again to boost stats for bg2ee?

Is there a 'cap' on stats when I import a character into bg2ee?

Lets say I want to play BG EE one or two more times, with a single character all the time (for boosting stats before playing BG2EE). Or maybe just run to the tomes of CON and CHA (that are pretty easy to run for with a lvl8 PC in early game) and reimport? Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    That's actually the idea. Stats boosted on NPCs by those tomes do not carry over, but they do on your PC.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    There's no cap to the import. The only cap that exists is the hardcoded maximum value to ability scores (25).
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    You can do it, but CON and CHA give fairly limited returns after a point. There's not much point having Charisma beyond 20, for example. Similarly, only Warrior classes really benefit from CON greater than 16 (apart from some shorty saves and very slow regeneration) and even then the benefits slow down a lot after 20.

You don't really need to boost a lot of your stats if you begin with a decent roll. Getting +1 to every stat (and +3 to Wisdom) over the course of BG:EE should be enough to turn any normal character into a bit of a wrecking machine.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    If you want to boost your stats, you may as well do it using EEKeeper to edit your BG2:EE savegame. Saves you time, does the same thing.
  • melakonmelakon Member Posts: 26
    Wouldn't it be simpler to just edit your char?
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    There's no cap, but if you go beyond the limits imposed by the game, it's basically the same as cheating. The limits in this case are +1 to each stat except wisdom, which is +3. If you go beyond that, it's your call, but most people would agree that it's kind of a waste of time to do extra playthroughs just to do that. It's far easier and quicker to cheat code your stats to however you like them.
  • Pancho1987Pancho1987 Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2013
    Wow, thanks for all info here guys. I searched a lot in the web and did not find anything about it, exactly this case.

I finished game, exported the character, and reimported on a new game. Then, I ran across the CON tome, south of candlekeep, right after the beggining of the game. After using it (I had 19 CON, cause I used it on first run on me), exported the char and re imported it, for doing again (20 CON currently).

Then, I did it again and get to 21 CON. But on reimporting, BG tells my PC has 20, instead of 21.

I did this testing to find out if full runs on campaing would allow me to export the character with these 'cheating-like' buffs on stats.

Sure, it would save a lot of time just editing, but I would like to know if a really fan that plays over and over with a character would benefit from it in BG2EE.

Thanks!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    No, because it's not much fun to play the entire game with a godmode charname. It's way too easy and boring, if you can simply edit your stats in a minute for the same result. What's the benefit?
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    But charname is meant to be a godspawn, therefore he should have godly stats.

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    You can have pretty godly stats without re-importing. If you manage a roll of 90 you can have a 98 by the end of BG1, plus the stat-ups from the end of BG2, plus Watcher's Keep. If you roll above 92, you can have a stat average of 100 before starting BG2 at all, which is pretty godlike.
  • Pancho1987Pancho1987 Member Posts: 5
    Mungri said:

But charname is meant to be a godspawn, therefore he should have godly stats.

Hell yeah man! husuhasuhasu
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I guess I'm just greedy. I try to have mid 80's (plus) before I accept a character. Highest I ever rolled was a 94. Anyway, I can't imagine BG with 25 STR/DEX/CON (I generally play melee). I'd probably be chunking strong opponents with regularity, almost never get hit and (if I play a shorty) would save against almost everything.
  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    Yep if you are that interested in having crazy stats hen just use EEkeeper.