Skip to content

I never really cared for Korgan...

VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
But for some reason, in BG2EE I can't stop quoting him and find him absolutely hilarious, even if I find it annoying that my female dwarf can carry 120 pounds more crap than he can :P

My first attempt at playing BG2 goes back to the early 2000s, and I didn't get far before Icewind Dale 2 and other games took my attention away from it. Early this year I started playing through as a chaotic good archer (perhaps my reason for talking myself out of using Korgan), but now that I am using him with my chaotic neutral character, I just can't stop thinking about how awesome the bloody bibulous dwarf is!

Even compared to the new characters he stands out for me :)

The way he speaks of Lady Delcia endears him to me as well lol. I consider myself "neutral/chaotic good" with some neutralish tendencies irl, but he seems like a character I wouldn't mind having a pint or two with, haha.

Does anyone else have a character they never really cared for much before but now can't get enough of? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts! :D

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I've never been one for this thing RPG players do where they hate a particular companion for flimsy, often imaginary reasons, honestly. I like all the companions, but whether or not they actually get in a party slot is another story.
  • ArktosaArktosa Member Posts: 73
    Went in corronet copper, got in fight in the arena. Casted a lvl 2 fire spell, killed the man and korgan at the same time. That was pretty neat
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I never liked Korgan because I always found him kind of dull and stereotypical. I admit i am appreciating him more this time. =)
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564

I never liked Korgan because I always found him kind of dull and stereotypical. I admit i am appreciating him more this time. =)

Glad I am not the only one :P

I've never been one for this thing RPG players do where they hate a particular companion for flimsy, often imaginary reasons, honestly. I like all the companions, but whether or not they actually get in a party slot is another story.

I guess I fall into the category of RPG players who respond to NPCs in a certain way, in the case described above, largely because my chaotic neutral archer, is a female and not particularly fond of the sexist types of characters :P Or evil ones for that matter. Fun lass, she be.
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    It wasn't recent, but I had a similar experience with Valygar. Never cared much for him originally, but then after a couple years decided I wanted to try something new so I grabbed him. Then I took him to the DeArnise keep and realized that his bleed on his katana kills trolls (which is sadly fixed now with BG2:EE) so I decided to keep him a bit longer and give him a fair shake. Now, he's always in my party. I get him Celestial Fury and the Girdle of Hill Giant Strength, and he becomes a monster. Plus, I love his dialogues in my mage-heavy party, especially in ToB with Nalia. :)
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    He is my favorite npc
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    When I first played with Viconia in my party I couldn't stand her. I romanced her and she became so needy and acerbic.

The second time I chose her was a far more enjoyable experience as she wasn't in a relationship with charname.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    My first play through ever had him in my party, and now I will get a chance again with my evil party. I can't wait...he is such a beast!
  • The_MageThe_Mage Member Posts: 19
    In BG, in never gave Viconia a chance because she was, well, Evil (with a capital E), and since I was playing an all-good party, I never let her join my merry band of adventurers. You also lose hard-won reputation to boot!

However, she's one of my main party members in BG2, because I have the feeling Charname and NPC interaction is a bit more fleshed out in the second installment.

Which is why I take Imoen with me as well (most of the time)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    The_Mage said:

You do realise that Imoen has almost no interaction with anyone until ToB?
    edited November 2013

The_Mage said:

You do realise that Imoen has almost no interaction with anyone until ToB?
    And that her constant musings in the beginning usually leave me breaking out of character and saying to myself: You know, let that girl cool her heels in Spellhold for awhile. I'm going to go explore while she sweats it out a bit :)

It's funny that my CHARNAME usually only pays the fee to initiate her escape well after I am passed the 60K+ gold line lol

CHARNAME: Oh yeah, we were saving up some gold for something weren't we?
    Minsc/Jaheria: *facepalm*
  • The_MageThe_Mage Member Posts: 19
    Oh, I do realise that.

It's worth the wait.
  • selkyraselkyra Member Posts: 54
    Korgan is pretty good at killing illithid with his berserk/rage whatever. He is a bit on the rough side but Even Evil Has Standards as he detests slavery.

To this point I had always underestimated Jaheira, but as I looked into her spells she started to kick ass with Insect Swarms and iron skin.
    He detests slavery and anyone who hurts children. He is a great character. He loves killing and needs little excuse for a bloodbath. He is tough and fearless. He is funny as hell

Ah a good day... (read some of his quotes)

He is my favorite npc in the whole bg saga
    Oh and his ending slide. So great

The legend turned a hero because of his crusade in the underdark
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    selkyra said:

He is a bit on the rough side but Even Evil Has Standards

Unless you're Dorn. Terribly unrealistic character, what a let-down.
    Korgan is also a great npc when it comes to power. Rage protection, Incredible saves, good str and fantastic con
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    Korgan is good but I prefer Kagain. Kagain (I judge him according to NPC project) is one of my favourite NPC. Less bloodthirsty than Korgan, seems to be more trustworthy. Although he is evil, he behaves more like greedy neutral.
  • TaevikTaevik Member Posts: 38
    Strangely I've never really used him for a full game. I'll have to do that at some point.
  • selkyraselkyra Member Posts: 54
    velehal said:

Korgan is good but I prefer Kagain. Kagain (I judge him according to NPC project) is one of my favourite NPC. Less bloodthirsty than Korgan, seems to be more trustworthy. Although he is evil, he behaves more like greedy neutral.

Kagain becomes a killing machine if you give him the new belt which increases his strength (and lowers intelligence but he doesn't need that!) and the dexterity gauntlets. Regenerating and hard to hit top-notch axe killer? Yes, please! His attitude is pretty funny too.
  • TaevikTaevik Member Posts: 38
    I never really understood what it was that madee Kagaim 'evil' as he always just seemed sorta greedy to me more than anything.
    Kagain is a great npc but he has no rage. And korgan has so many funny comments to cooky people you met. He is the best
    And Korgan has a thing for Mazzy which further endears him to me :D
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    Korgan by far has some of the best banters with characters - I love picking him up if I am in need for fighters AND banters.

But the best Banterer imho is Jan.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Varwulf said:

I guess I fall into the category of RPG players who respond to NPCs in a certain way, in the case described above, largely because my chaotic neutral archer, is a female and not particularly fond of the sexist types of characters :P Or evil ones for that matter. Fun lass, she be.

Not what I meant. Obviously, you should only recruit the party members your character would be willing to put up with. That's part of roleplay. I was referring to people who, as people and not their characters, literally hate an NPC. For instance, some people genuinely hate Morrigan, Isabela, Ohgren, Grunt, and apparently Hexxat these days.
    edited November 2013
    @Schneidend
    My mistake! I for one can't figure why anyone would hate Morrigan, my own self :)

There are some NPCs I hate (Edwin's constant snobbery and berating of others, irl, would eventually warrant my punching him in the gut lol), but it also makes me quite fond/fascinated with him when having him in a neutral/evil party. One of those characters you love to hate :D Totally incompatible with my irl personality, but fun to have along for the ride when RPing characters not of my personality :) Good character design/writing in general.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Quartz said:

(The game needs friendship paths, why do we have to get in bed with everyone or else shun them. -_-)

This, so much.

On topic, I'd say Valygar and possibly Anomen. With my Eldoth Charname not ready for export, I started BG2 with my Blackguard lady and got attached to the idea of her in the role of Brienne of Tarth - lawful (though evil), pragmatic, not much of a talker - and putting up with Anomen as Jaime Lannister to redeem him. I've never played the romances because meh, but this concept was interesting enough to give it a try, so I'm seeing Anomen as less annoying now.

Valygar always seemed bland in comparison with more colorful NPCs like Haer'Dalis or Jan and I rarely even kept him alive. Now, my mage-hating jester is in the picture, who definitely will become best friends with Valygar.

in BG1, Skie. Never bothered with her before EE, I either didn't get her or instantly killed her to keep Eldoth. She's way more capable than I thought, good stats and profs and her voiceset is not as annoying as it seems at first. She's meant to be a brat and annoy you, and she does exactly that. Plus, it's not so bad if she's on a script and doesn't have to be clicked so much for traps and locks.