Skip to content

BG2:EE - My Elven mage character's weapon choices...

CorganoCorgano Member Posts: 14
edited November 2013 in Not An Issue
Ok, so I chose an Elven Wizard. According to him being an Elf he should be able to use: long swords, short bows, and long bows. But, as far as I can tell, he can't. So... is this a bug? I know wizards can't use much, but I think him being Elven should allow him to use those three weapons, right? Or am I missing something?
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Races have their proficiencies based on their class, so no Longsword Short Bows and Long bows no matter your race. In DnD 3e and 3.5 all elves were proficient in those weapons but BG is 2e. If you want an elf wizard that can use those weapons you can make an Elf Mage/Thief or Fighter/Mage multiclass.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    In case @GoodSteve wasn't clear: In 2E Restrictions override allowances unlike in 3 and 3.5 where allowances override restrictions.

In 2E: Wizard restriction on NOT being able to use bows and swords overrides Elven Allowance to use those weapons.

In 3E: Elven Allowance to Use those weapons overrides Wizard Restriction.

In this game, no Weapons for you. :)
  • CorganoCorgano Member Posts: 14
    Ahh, thank you both for the responses. I understand now. I guess I've been playing too many games that use the 3E rules. No worries though, still loving the game. :)