Skip to content

Proficiency Analysis Paralysis

As the topic name suggests, I'm having a hell of a time deciding what proficiencies to select for my fighter/thief I'm going to take through BGEE and continue with in BG2EE. Part of the problem is that I'm so used to playing cleric type characters that I'd gotten used to the choices practically being made for me. In any case, here are the parameters to keep in mind:

1. The character will start out carrying a shield, and may transition to dual-wielding in BG2, so all weapons must be one-handed.
2. The proficiencies must be useful in both games.
3. This character will be the tank, and therefore will mostly be rushing at enemies to draw fire. This means no purely ranged proficiencies. However, I do need a ranged option for times when there is a persistent AoE spell (e.g. cloudkill).
4. Being able to backstab with the weapon doesn't matter.
5. NPCs in the first game will be Imoen, Jaheira, Neera, Minsc, and Dynaheir. In the second game it will be Imoen (with Nalia substituting), Jaheira, Minsc (with Sarevok possibly replacing), Aerie, and Neera. I try and avoid overlapping proficiencies, especially among my frontliners (Jaheira and Minsc). It should also be noted that I modify Jaheira's proficiencies so that she replaces quarterstaff with scimitar, and replaces sling with either dart or dagger. Minsc also gets a modification, replacing mace with quarterstaff.

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Longswords.

Oodles of good ones around (Daystar, Dragonslayer, Adjhata the Drinker, etc).
    Basic, but effective. By the time you've got Grand Mastery in Long Swords, Sword and Shield Style and Dual Wielding, you'll be touching ToB content and probably have picked a favorite weapon for your next proficiency.
  • SpiffyMcBangSpiffyMcBang Member Posts: 160
    I wouldn't bother with points in S/S, as tanked out your AC will be just fine against missile weapons. Go for the weapon type and then DW. Also, slings get a strength bonus whereas darts and thrown daggers don't, so I'd rethink changing Jaheira's proficiency. Give dart prof to one of your mages (love the three mage setup btw) and let her use the Crimson Dart.

Anyway, for your f/t I'd recommend axes. There are more long swords, but you can get some +3 axes fairly quickly, and with the returning throwing axes you won't need to use points separately for a ranged weapon.
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    @Drugar
    I guess I should have been a little more specific. My character is a fighter/thief multi, not a fighter/thief dual, which means no grand mastery.
    @SpiffyMcBang
    I came to the same conclusion about sword and shield. I put together a test character in EE Keeper to calculate my AC against missile attacks. When it reached over -20 without counting in the bonus from the weapon style, I knew I'd be fine without. :-P
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    edited November 2013
    Two handed, UAI and carsomyr maybe? Or staff of ram for that backstab when you need it.
    @Shar
    While undoubtedly powerful, your suggestion violates parameter 1 (one-handed weapons only) and 5 (because two-handed weapons are Minsc's domain).

@Shar
    While undoubtedly powerful, your suggestion violates parameter 1 (one-handed weapons only) and 5 (because two-handed weapons are Minsc's domain).

Hm i did not finish reading that. Would you go for a bland and boring scimitar?

@Shar
    While scimitar proficiency is tempting, I'll leave them to Jaheira (parameter 5).
  • magpiemagpie Member Posts: 79
    Longswords are basically what you're looking for, right? There are a lot of really cool longswords.
    After that go for whatever.

I get the feeling you are over-thinking this a bit :D
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    edited November 2013
    If you only are allowed 2 pips in proficiencies then you will have tons of skills.
    Avoid weapon style in at the beginning of bg1 and pick long sword and a ranged weapon. Throughout bg1 start with bastard sword then katanas so you are ready for werewolf island in bg1 and CF in bg2. Now get two-weapon style and then consider what you want for late game SoA and ToB weapon.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Mace, Club, and Longsword sound like your best bets for whole-EE-trilogy effectiveness. Flails get awesome in BG2, but are lackluster in BG1. Thanks to BGEE, clubs and maces are now pretty good throughout the entire trilogy! Longswords have always been really good in all three episodes.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    While undoubtedly powerful, your suggestion violates parameter [...] 5 (because two-handed weapons are Minsc's domain).
    Except that the item in question cannot be used by Minsc

@Shar
    While scimitar proficiency is tempting, I'll leave them to Jaheira (parameter 5).

Yeah thats cool man, but i think there are about four good end game scimitars should be enough for you and Jaheira.

@Schneidend
    Clubs are for Jaheira, but otherwise I like your suggestions.
    @ambrennan
    You miss the point of parameter 5 entirely. It isn't whether or not a particular NPC can use one particular weapon, it is whether or not there is an overlap in proficiencies.

Thanks to all your suggestions, I think I have come up with a plan of action. At level 1, I'll take one point in bastard sword, long sword, axe, and mace. Since those will serve me well through the first game, I'll put the next two points I get in to two weapon style. When I reach BG2, I'll put one point each in katana and flail (not sure which first), then put my third point to finish out two weapon style. After that I just need to decide which of my existing proficiencies I want to specialize. I had considered adding hammers, but in the end (unless BG2EE has really changed things) there isn't enough in that category to be worth it. I welcome further comments and suggestions; after all, it will take me some time to get through the first game.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I think splitting proficiencies is a bad idea. Specialize in one weapon at the start and add new weapons on the side after you finish one.

If you're not interested in ranged weapons I would start with two pips in one weapon and two pips in dual wielding. Should give you 2.5 APR and some damage bonuses which is a hell of a lot better than 1 APR and no bonuses.
  • magpiemagpie Member Posts: 79

@ambrennan
    You miss the point of parameter 5 entirely. It isn't whether or not a particular NPC can use one particular weapon, it is whether or not there is an overlap in proficiencies.

But.. what's the point of avoiding overlap in proficiencies if not to prevent two characters from wanting to use the same weapon?

Anyway, you really should focus on one weapon at a time. Two ** in one weapon is much more useful than One * in two weapons.

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

@Schneidend
    Clubs are for Jaheira, but otherwise I like your suggestions.
    @ambrennan

Thanks to all your suggestions, I think I have come up with a plan of action. At level 1, I'll take one point in bastard sword, long sword, axe, and mace. Since those will serve me well through the first game, I'll put the next two points I get in to two weapon style. When I reach BG2, I'll put one point each in katana and flail (not sure which first), then put my third point to finish out two weapon style. After that I just need to decide which of my existing proficiencies I want to specialize. I had considered adding hammers, but in the end (unless BG2EE has really changed things) there isn't enough in that category to be worth it. I welcome further comments and suggestions; after all, it will take me some time to get through the first game.

I think you're making a pretty significant mistake in not specializing in at least one weapon type as soon as possible. Axes also aren't that great in BG1. You pretty much have to buy the +1 axe, and the +2 axe is not available until fairly late in the game.

Clubs are for Jaheira? I thought she was using scimitars.