Skip to content

I'm no computer wiz...

happslapphappslapp Member Posts: 53
edited September 2012 in Site Resources
Hi Everybody,

im sure this is annoying but i just want to make sure ill be able to run BGEE with my rinkydink laptop.
If someone could be so kind as to head over to this link---->http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c02542735&lc=en&product=4308201 and just make sure for me ill be able to enjoy this amazing game in a month id greatly appreciate it.

Lord HappSlapp
Post edited by Coriander on

Comments

• DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    It will run like a charm.
  • happslapphappslapp Member Posts: 53
    Thank you very much!
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    how many background programs do you run. Worse case, if you have alot of mini programs that boot up with your comp, such as yahoo/skype/aim/excell/etc etc etc, it could cause lag. Those programs can eat up alot of your system resources. it's all the stuff in the bottom right corner of the screen. if you've got 20 plus, you might have an issue. If not, no worries.
    gonna sound dumb but how do i check/turn them off?
    okay, according to your specs, you're running windows 7, so all you have to do is this. beside the time and date in the bottom right hand corner of the screen is a few icons, and there should be a little arrow pointing up. Just click on that little up arrow and it will show you all is running. as i said, if you've only got about 12 or less things in there, won't be an issue. if you are at the 20+ icons, let me know and will go over that with you.
    yea i got a bunch
    i know this will be annoying, but can you type me out a list of what all you have? some things you need to have there, some you don't. to see what it is, just let your mouse hover over an icon, and it will display it's name. On another note though, if you want to take an easier route, if you have baldur's gate 2: ToB, install it, see how well it runs on your comp, and that's how well bg:ee will run for you.
    iCloud, Skype, Yahoo, sypantics pointing device, realtek HD audio manager, color:32 bpp, WLAN: on, new updates available, updates ready to install, iTunes. i know its not 20+ but ToB can get alittle buggy on me if theres alot going on and id like to know anything i can do to run smoothly.
    yes there is. Go to start (the windows icon in the lower left hand corner of the screen, click that and just above it you will se a little bar that says search. type in 'msconfig' without the ' marks, just the words. Press enter and it will find it, and then press enter again it will pop up a window. This is what determines what starts up with windows, and sadly, most programs are auto set to start with windows.

On this window that popped up, it will say some info. There will be tabs as well that say general, boot, services, start up, and tools. Click on the one that says start up. Anything on there that you know 100% what it is, uncheck, like yahoo, msn, itunes, etc. Programs that you don't use all the time. This will free up some system memory. IF YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT IT IS, DO NOT UNCHECK IT. Once you're done, click the okay button at the bottom of the window. it will tell you that windows needs to restart for the changes to take effect, tell it to restart. Now, once windows restarts, make sure the basic functions work, such as sound, inet, etc. COPY AND PASTE THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO A WORD FILE AND SAVE TO YOUR DESK TOP ON THE VERY SMALL CHANCE INET WON'T WORK ON REBOOT. SHOULD THAT BE THE CASE, SIMPLY GO TO THE WINDOWS ICON, IN SEARCH TYPE IN MSCONFIG, AND ON THE FIRST TAB (GENERAL TAB), SELECT THE OPTION THAT SAYS NORMAL START UP AND CLICK OKAY, REBOOT AND EVERYTHING WILL BE AS IT WAS BEFORE.

If everything seems to work fine, come back and i will you the next step, which will be much much easier. If you have any questions about the files in msconfig, shoot me another message, i'll be here for a few mins. Don't mess with anything under the services tab, as those are windows standard fuctions and you could possibly cause an error. You won't mess anything up, but if you feel that you have, just don't click the okay button at the bottom. Until you click that, you can always click the cancel button and any changes you've made will be undone.

Sorry if any of this is confusing, but as you do it you will see that the details will guide you though each step. I would rather give you alot of details so that you won't be confused rather then then give you a quick run down.

Last note, when you uncheck yahoo and itunes, you are NOT uninstalling them. They're still on your computer, and you can still use these programs, but this will prevent them from always being in the system memory when you're not using them.
    thank you so much. I hate having to ask questions like this but you were a big help. already running smoother and now im sure ill be ready for BGEE.
    sweet, if tob works fine, then no need for further steps, and just happy if i was able to help. God bless my friend. :)
  • EvilVikEvilVik Member Posts: 1
    I would say that as long as you can run Win7, BG will work lika charm anyway. :-)