Skip to content

Baldur's Gate 2 bring it on! --- Help needed

Hello bros, i am gonna try BG2 tomorow morning and i dont think i quite remember much from BG1 about characters and classes.

Which class do you recommend? I thinking i want to make an archer.
Is it better to be Good, Neutral or Evil ?
Which of the characters i run into are OP ?
Who is the best tank/healer ???

Any more help from you if you think i left something out would be nice!

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Archers (missiles weapons in general) are pretty weak in BG 2, in sharp contrast to BG 1, where they dominate the battle.

I have really enjoyed Fighter/Mage multi-class. It's very powerful, and doesn't require as much metagame knowledge as dual-classing, and thus good for a beginner.

The generally generally rewards you for choosing Good options. So for a beginner, I'd recommend Good.

NPC wise. Anomen is arguably the most powerful single NPC a good party can get, but his personality annoys some people. Aerie covers your magical needs as she is a Cleric/Mage, which is technically an illegal combination. She is also one of the romance options available for Good characters. Both Aerie and Anomen are easy to get at the start of the game.

Keldorn is very popular, but his equipment needs kinda clash with Anomen, so most people pick one or the other. Keldorn is very good against enemy mages and is the only NPC who can use one of the most powerful weapons in the game. He can be a combat monster, but isn't as flexible as Anomen (in my opinion).

I think that covers the 'Powerhouses' for the Good side. Of course a lot depends on itemisation, and all the NPCs genuinely bring something awesome in their own way to the party.

Oh yeah, best tank for a Good party? Fighter/Mages can be very tanky, Anomen is pretty good too, but truth be told, I think best tank NPC is Korgan, but he's evil.
  • SedgeSedge Member Posts: 29
    If archers are "bad" i might need to change my mind.
    I want my char to deal tons of damage but i do not like mage or using magic in general.
    Im thinking of a 2H class or a monks. Any suggestions??

Moreover, i will have a thief in my party but is the pick pocket worth it at all ???

P.S: I never finished the Pits1 what happened in the end ?? Does pits2 start where 1 was finished or is it a brand new/similar story ???
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    The problem with archers is that
    1) The best weapons in the game are melee, and you will struggle to hurt some of the high level enemies with archery. I haven't got to ToB content yet, but I think it gets worse the deeper you get into the game.

2) I think the rate of attack for missile weapons depends on the weapon, and doesn't increase as characters level up. This is why missile weapons were OP for low-level battles in BG 1. But in BG 2, melee characters get more and more APR as they level up, and do more damage thanks to superior weapons and strength enhancing spells/items. So missile weapons are increasingly out-classed by melee.

You will need a thief as always, but pick-pocketing isn't really worth it unless u are willing to repeatedly save/load and spend a lot of time trying to pick-pocket everyone, or use a walkthrough to find who to target specifically. I don't think there are any important items that u can only gain through theft.

I'm afraid if u wanna get far with BG 2, u are gonna have to get used to magic. The correct use of magic is pretty much central to high level combat, and most of ur most dangerous enemies are spellcasters, and u'll need spellcasters of ur own to strip them of defences in order to hurt them. (Not to mention use protections to protect ur own party.)

I never played Black Pits much either, but I think Black Pits 2 is related to Black Pits 1, so u probably don't wanna play BP 2 until u finished BP 1 if the plot matters to u.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

Aerie covers your magical needs as she is a Cleric/Mage, which is technically an illegal combination.

A common misconception. Avariel (which is what Aerie actually is) can indeed be cleric/mages.

Source from The Complete Book of Elves;

"Avariel can become fighters (not rangers or paladins), mages, and clerics, as well as
    the multiclass combinations available to these three. There are no recorded instances of
    avariel rogues."