Skip to content

So, now that both Enhanced Editions have launched successfully, what about BG3?

Both enhanced editions are out and moving! With a solid fandom, followers, cult and playerbase. With devoted 2nd edition crazies and dicemongers. So, now that those prerequirements and plans are already set both in stone and in motion, what about Baldur's Gate 3? Is the income enough for its funding, either as a rough estimation, or as a simple future possibility? Will Beam Dog make it happen? Do we have something good to wait for, or this is as far as the line goes...?

Comments

• marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    I believe BG3 is scheduled for release in March of 2014. Almost there!!

But seriously, no one knows yet.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I think they should just skip BG3 and go for BG4. It'll throw people off...and then they can do a prequel for the game called BG3. :p
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    Guys, I already said this in another thread. They're totally doing Half-Life 3 next.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2013
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    *Bang*
  • DeathKnightDeathKnight Member Posts: 93
    No. BG3 does not already exist. BG3 was supposed to be this: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound". Not the dark alliance byproduct... Anyway, let's simply hope for the best.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I don't think it can be The Black Hound, actually, as the rights to that storyline, as I understand it, are not fully owned by Overhaul. Anyway, I'm stuck in a dichotomy, as I want to know what cool story ideas are bouncing in the heads of the devs, but, at the same time, do not want the story spoiled (assuming some follow-on comes). I know those are contradictory, and I can't help it.
  • jones0901jones0901 Member Posts: 51
    id love to see something in faerun, but the sword coast has been done. so has spine of the world and neverwinter.
    lets go somewhere new...preferably some frontier between cultures...new landscapes, different armor and weapon types....Id love to see these guys do something new in this gaming world
    @jones0901

I can understand why you'd feel that way. I've become extremely cynical over the years seeing a number of very sub par games being made in this world, or worse yet... MMOs! I just think that when you bring companies like Atari/Hasbro/WotC into the picture, you have little to no hope of seeing a game that honors the originals. I would love to be wrong, of course.
  • jones0901jones0901 Member Posts: 51
    edited November 2013
    true...it amazes me how after how beloved the infinity games were, and fallout, these companies changed the formula so drastically- till we're getting kingdom of amalur or, even worse, dark alliance. still, Faerun is a great ip, and one id love to return to. hopefully, these guys get a shot somehow
    Game publishers tend to only want to make big budget games, geared for the greatest amount of mass appeal possible. That means that games will be made as simplistic as possible, so that players won't have to get "bogged down" with any reading, or thinking.

It also means that the IE style game, which is very much a niche genre, is just pretty much off the table from the beginning. Publishers are king in this industry, NOT developers.

Well, that is, until Kickstarter came around and showed us that in some cases we could replace publishers with fans. And all of the sudden we have 3 highly promising 2D Isometric games under development (Project Eternity, Torment, Tides of Numenera, and Wasteland 2).

In truth, I'd love to see a game made in the Forgotten Realms as much as any D&D lover and CRPG gamer, but if it has to come with the huge concessions that I expect that it will, I'd rather have nothing. Crowdfunding is just about the only hope our niche appears to have, unless we can convince some publishers out there that it's worth having a few lower budget, lower return games in their offerings to appeal to fans such as us.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    All I ask for is no changes to BG2s classes and spell systems, its the most perfect stategic combat I ever played in an RPG.
    Mungri said:

All I ask for is no changes to BG2s classes and spell systems, its the most perfect stategic combat I ever played in an RPG.

Then allow me to dash your hopes early. If this game is made in the D&D setting it's going to reflect 5th edition, which means that classes and spell systems will conform to that system. If it's not made in the D&D setting, they won't be able to copy verbatim without legal issues. So either way, expect changes to classes and spell systems.
  • Paradigm_of_MemoriesParadigm_of_Memories Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2013
    I think what is more important is that if Baldur's Gate 3 was going to be made, then which company should be the one to make it?
    This is a highly beloved franchise, and if the sequel does not live up to, or surpass, it's predecessors, then it will most likely fail.