Skip to content

Modding Tools

CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
edited June 2012 in General Modding
I have never done any modding for this game but would like to get into doing so, could those who have some experience with it suggest some good beginner tools and if possible where to get them (legally of course).

Comments

• ElysElys Member Posts: 100
    There is certainly tools to begin with but not really beginner tools :p

You could check for one: http://www.shsforums.net/forum/389-modding/
    Cadros
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    Many thanks both of you, I will start to have a rummage.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I´m realy curious about how you (you the devs) proceed with areas for BGEE and what tool you are using to implement them. You will tell us will you?
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @NWN_babaYaga Like the whole process of making an area or just the basic stuff?
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @NWN_bapaYaga They most likely have the original area editing tools (boy I would love to get my hands on those). I would like to know this too @Coriander... if you will tell? More insight into the process can only help us out!

...and Hurray!!! there is now a modding forum!
    NWN_babaYagasalomonkane
    edited June 2012
    @Coriander What technical process step-by-step takes the area backdrop (can I say so?) when artistically completed right up to game. The tools you´re using surely is something internal but any kind of little info may be helpfull for the future for us/ me. And many many thanks for your respond realy appreciated!

edit: ok that step-by-step is a bit to much right now and the basic routine would do it for now;) thanks again!
    Post edited by NWN_babaYaga on
    I hope my answer/question is adequate and that you @Coriander are writing a nice tutorial/ documentation for us nice area designers right? Man am I cheeky lol. Be sure it´s not for nothing;) But before I realy want to start it´s essential to know a few more details.
  • ScottBrooksScottBrooks Member Posts: 687
    @NWN_babaYaga: No tutorial, but our work flow is basically:
    1: 3DSMax create the world and render the result.
    2: load it into DLTCEP(we found doing the search maps easier in gimp/photoshop and then import the bitmap rather then doing it in DLTCEP)
    3: do the clipping in DLTCEP
    4: export it out.

@Cuv: we don't have the tool source/binaries that work. From what we've heard from people that used the tools, DLTCEP is better, or at least has less sharp edges(Isn't that scary?).
    @ScottBrooks I am still a believer in IETME, heh... but then I dont do it all in there. I do the same... the height and search maps in PS. Cool! Thanks for the info. That is a real shame about the original tools.
    @ScottBrooks thanks many and I´m making myself familar then with the DLTCEP tool asap.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    I'm still trying to decide between DLTCEP and IETME. I'm not really doing anything more special than the modders as far as clipping areas and setting up doors.
    I realy have a hard time breaking out of the tileset system once again, technically and in my mind. It´s a bad habit to think nwn style and break up everything. Damn all these years now I notice it:D But I´m sure I can come up with some cool stuff in the future. And here some unrelated areastuff I did again for...

From now on I will just post areas that can be used for BGEE then. Must overcome my old habit!!!

Flauschig
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    If you are looking for a dude who has worked extesively with DLTCEP on wholesale area creation, (besides Cuv, of course), check out Yovaneth and his Fishing For Trouble mod. Adds a huge set of new areas with changed graphics, movement maps, ec. - and he has some area creation tutorials out too. http://www.shsforums.net/forum/550-fishing-for-trouble/
    My experience was that DLTCEP was better working with doors than IETME... the polygon tool in IETME is very touchy.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I'm a bit surprised that the original tools have been vanished and that some of you use IETME :)
    Part of IETME's crashes motivated me to add the area editor to DLTCEP. At the time we worked on DLTC aka Glory of Istar (hence the name).
    I prefer a stand alone area editor:P
    +1

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    +1

commandline (or link) :DLTCEP.exe -s TOB -f .are

is starting dltcep's area editor with the TOB setup.
    @Avenger_teambg thanks you;)
  • ValendaleValendale Member Posts: 34
    edited November 2013
    WeiDU
    How do I run this and what does it do?

Near Infinity (NI)
    Also how do I run this and what does it do? There are plenty of download links but getting information about what this is seems challenging.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    @Valendale

WeiDU
    that link is old, current version is 236, you can find it here.

For an introduction to WeiDU read this and the official README.

Near Infinity (NI)
    You need Java to run NI. If Java is installed, just double click the Near Infinity jar file, no installation is required. If you don't see any jar file and you are using Windows, be sure to enable file extensions.

You can use NI to browse, edit or create all kind of files related to the game (items, creature, scripts, dialogues, etc.). NI is not suited to create redistributable content like WeiDU, but it's more user friendly and very useful to familiarise oneself with the game resources or to mod one's own game.
  • ValendaleValendale Member Posts: 34
    Erg said:

@Valendale

WeiDU
    that link is old, current version is 236, you can find it here.

For an introduction to WeiDU read this and the official README.

Near Infinity (NI)
    You need Java to run NI. If Java is installed, just double click the Near Infinity jar file, no installation is required. If you don't see any jar file and you are using Windows, be sure to enable file extensions.

You can use NI to browse, edit or create all kind of files related to the game (items, creature, scripts, dialogues, etc.). NI is not suited to create redistributable content like WeiDU, but it's more user friendly and very useful to familiarise oneself with the game resources or to mod one's own game.

I can get NI to run and everything but I get an error whenever I click an item and it won't let me save any changes, and I don't think it's recognizing where EE is installed at properly. How do you use it with the Enhanced Edition?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Valendale said:

I can get NI to run and everything but I get an error whenever I click an item and it won't let me save any changes, and I don't think it's recognizing where EE is installed at properly. How do you use it with the Enhanced Edition?

Which version are you using? The last one is v1.33 w1.3.0 and works fine (mostly) with the EE. Only thing missing AFAIK is support for some of the new opcodes or new file formats (e.g. pvrz compression of MOS files).

I'm not experiencing any of the issues you described.