Skip to content

Regarding touch gestures

I've posted about this a few times in the "Ask Us Anything"-thread but received no answer.

Does anyone know if:
1. The've gotten user feedback on how to improve the ipad controls?
2. The ipad controls will be enhanced/improved somehow with the new patch for BG:EE and/or in BG2:EE?
3. It will be in a near-future patch?
4. There will be new touchpad control options?

Comments

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @Vintrastorm:

At this point I think the answers I can give are as follows and all of them should be Caveauted with the fact I am under NDA...so even if something were discussed internally / within closed ranks, I couldn't tell you. :)

1) Yes, there has been PLENTY of user feedback on this forum about the need/request/requirement for additional/enhanced touch gestures/controls. There have been several very detailed suggestions on additional gestures for the game.

2)

a. I have not seen an iPad build of the BG:EE beta so I'm doing little more than grasping at straws with my answer. However there has been no official mention of enhanced touch controls for the iPad. Further, I have not seen any public conversations regarding enhancing the touch controls on the iPad.

b. As with the iPad/BG:EE, I have not seen an iPad/BG2:EE Beta build either. The comments in (a) above apply to BG2:EE as well.

3) See (a) above. I have no knowledge of enhanced iPad Gestures. There's been no public announcement or discussion about adding these.

4) I think this is already answered above, but in case 2 and 4 are different questions, the answer is the same...there has been no public discussion or announcement about new touchpad control options.
    VintrastormBestopher
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    Thank you. :)
  • ljboljbo Member Posts: 177
    @ Illydth
    Illydth said:

@Vintrastorm:
    3) See (a) above. I have no knowledge of enhanced iPad Gestures. There's been no public announcement or discussion about adding these.

What about @Cerevant's answer to me here then?
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    Well technically it seems more lika a bug fix than a new gesture/feature. But thanks for the link. :)
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    So let me re-answer @Ijbo's question:

There has been an official statement that the new iPad patch has switched to native gestures instead of raw input. There's a thread out here somewhere identifying what that means (it pulls up a tech/programming doc from Apple), but the basics of it would seem to be that native gestures will fix the tap/drag issues...or at least make them A LOT better.

As noted many times in threads about Tap/Drag, most apps in on the app store handle gestures such as tap and tap/drag differently and we don't have the same problems. My ***guess*** to this is because they were using non-standard input management (read Raw input)...probably handling the gestures with the same methods as they handle mice and trackpads in the Windows/MAC versions of the game.

With the switch to native iPad gestures, however, they should be playing by Apples rules now, meaning they'll have the same functionality and ability as the rest of the apps on the app store.

I would surmise as well that whatever changes they've made to the iPad version of BG:EE they will also make to BG2:EE Before release to ensure BOTH games get the updates.

This is actually why I'm holding off in submitting any of the ideas that came up in the UI Updates thread I started...I want to see what HAS changed so we can figure out whether or not there's more needed...and what still needs to be fixed.