Skip to content

iPad Mini Retina

Would the game also benefit from the retina display of iPad Mini? iPad Mini with no retina is very pixelated even when just slightly zoomed in, I wonder if it's still the same in the newly released iPad Mini retina?

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    This is the graphics quality of the game, not the device. The über large pixel would be clearer, but still über large. Graphics are not exactly the strength of this game.
    Illustair
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    The graphics on PC is significantly better, I bet almost the same is on iPads. So I thought maybe the resolution is lowered in iPad Minis, like maybe it is set/made to suit its native resolution. Ah yes, maybe that's it. I believe iPad. Mini with retina has higher resolution, so I guess the graphics on that device would improve as well? Can somebody please confirm that? I'm not that graphics-conscious, it's just the areas in BG2EE are improved if I'm not mistaken. I would want to fully experience that enhancement as well.
    meagloth
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    No difference. The iPad version is hideous in terms of graphics.
    Illustairlolien
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Illustair said:

The graphics on PC is significantly better, I bet almost the same is on iPads. So I thought maybe the resolution is lowered in iPad Minis, like maybe it is set/made to suit its native resolution. Ah yes, maybe that's it. I believe iPad. Mini with retina has higher resolution, so I guess the graphics on that device would improve as well?

Retna display means higher resouloution. Retna means you can't see individual pixels on the screen. The retna mini actually has a higher pixel density, because it has the same amount of pixels as the iPad air in a smaller space. I don't beleive the iPad has any way of lowering the resolution of the game, or if it did, would. The mini is capable of much better graphics than baldurs gate, the 15 year old game. I don't know if the resouloution on the iPad version is deferent than the PC, perhaps for smaller app size or the limitations of the device, but it's possible.
    Illustair
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    One of the updates to the original BG:EE game was to make it playable on the higher density pixel screens of today. Way back when, 1024x768 was a pretty damned good resolution and only the BEST monitors were getting 1280x1024 ... TV's were 480i and we were all still using video tapes in our VCRs.

One of the issues with this game was that the original art work could not be obtained. If you dig back through to the earliest of posts on these forums, you'll find several talking about the loss of the original artwork...they have the rendered stuff but not the originals that could have been enhanced. Thus there is a lot of the art in the game that could NOT be updated to today's standards...leaving some / much of the game fairly grainy.

From what I understand, this actually gets WORSE on higher resolution screens...the closer in (read Zoom, which also wasn't in the original game) to the artwork you get the blockier and blotchier it gets.

From a resolution perspective, the game plays at the resolution of the screen...in the case of the iPad Retina that would be 2048x1536. However, the original art is NOT rendered to this scale...probably not much past 1024x768. That is going to leave a lot of rough edges and blocks.
    Illustair