Skip to content

Cannot import character

SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
edited November 2012 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.2)
Current behavior:
When trying to import a pre-generated character with only basic statistics (as per the multiplayer option) it seems impossible to 'finish' the character. The 'skills'-button looks available, but when pressing it nothing happens.

Expected behavior:
The mentioned option should allow a character to be imported with only race, class and ability scores, thus allowing the re-allocation of proficiency points, skillpoints and spellpoints.
Post edited by Sjerrie on

Comments

• SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    Okay I really hate to do this... but anyone out there?

I duly recognize that are way, WAY, more bugs out there, more annoying and/or game-breaking. It would be so nice however if someone, anyone would take the time to look at this, even if just to see if they have this same problem. I feel so alone lol.

I have played around with a few characters in multiplayer at first, to check out some of the changes/improvements etc. Some of those I'd like to do the singleplayer with, and since they now have xp, I'd like them 'fresh' to start with a clean slate. I used the method of importing them as discribed in the above post (then immediately exporting them again) to accomplish this in the game's previous incarnations.

One might argue that it's easier to just roll the character again in singleplayer, but ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away. It may not sound like a big deal, but it is seriously frustrating to me, adding up to the other "tiny" frustrations I have about the EE.

I hope I'll be heard lol.
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    Could you give more specifics ? I can't reproduce your bug... It works fine for me
    Thanks for the response. I roll a few character in a solo multiplayer game, to try new (and old) stuff in the game out (it's been a while since i played). Let's say two of the characters just "feel pretty good", and I want to use them in singleplayer. Problem: they have xp, items, spells, etc. now on them.

My solution was always to import them again, in a new multiplayer game, with just their most basic stats (the bottom option in the import options screen I believe). That way you would have to pick their skills and spells anew, appropriate for starting out a 1st level character. That is where I'm stuck. I get the available skills button when I import this way, but when I click it it doesn't go to the next screen...
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    I'll try someday in the week. Don't worry of there is no response, we are kinda overwhelmed by the overflow of bug reports (most of them are duplicates/non issues >.>)
    Appreciate it Medillen! I totally understand sorting out the bugs can be quite a job. I know my problem isn't exactly looking like high priority... but still... Thanks again. ;-)
    Just thought of something, may or may not be significant... Most of my personal files and folders are automatically put on my network drive, including, by extension, the BGEE saves and characters. Could be that this interferes with importing? (Haven't had problems like this before though...)

Will try to find a way to change the paths without messing up my whole system, to see if the problem persists. Any other ideas will be welcome.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    This doesn't sound like a bug. When importing a character, you aren't able to re-choose their proficiencies or skills, just their appearance and name. I believe that's how it's always been for all the infinity engine games. I guess this could be considered a feature request though.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @TJ_Hooker It's a real bug.
    Coriander said:

@TJ_Hooker It's a real bug.

Ah, sorry, my mistake.
    @TJ_Hooker I'm not sure about the IWD series, but at the very least in BG2 you were able to import a "previously used character" for multiplayer in the way I described. Presumably to even the odds.
    @Sjerrie
    Huh, I never knew that. Is there something you have to do differently? Because I actually decided to check it out in BG2, but I can't seem to get it to work (I'm only allowed to choose appearance and name).
    The clean slate I spoke of you can only get when importing your character in a multiplayer game. In the 'character arbitrations screen' there is a button 'permissions'. After that there is an 'options'-button where you can choose the style of import.
    Sjerrie said:

The clean slate I spoke of you can only get when importing your character in a multiplayer game. In the 'character arbitrations screen' there is a button 'permissions'. After that there is an 'options'-button where you can choose the style of import.

Ah, I see. Thanks.
    *Shameless kick*

The last few weeks I have been trying to see if this issue persists on multiple machines/configurations. Sofar, yes, there hasn't been a single time I have been able to normally import a character in the way I described. Presumably that means others may experience this as well. Can anyone else confirm? Maybe @TJ_Hooker?
  • VagabondVagabond Member Posts: 6
    I am reviving this thread, as I am suffering from this glitch as well. Any time I try and import a character into a multiplayer game, the screen moves to the skill button, which does nothing when pressed. Nothing's wrong with the single player character import - just the multiplayer character import. A full re-installation and the built-in repair tool have not fixed the problem.
    Follow-up: Actually...I think I fixed it. In the My Documents folder, open the Baldur's Gate file, and then open the Configuration file. At the very end of the document, There should be:

'Multiplayer', 'Import Character', '1'

Changed that 1 to a 0, and the glitch seems to be fixed.
  • PyroPatPyroPat Member Posts: 35
    I tried to import a character in multiplayer with the options to reset skills, xp and items checked. However in the character creation screen, after importing the charracter, you have to choose new skills, but when i click the "skills" button nothing happens :(
    Sounds like you're having the same problem as described here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8249/cannot-import-character

If you look right at the bottom, someone has posted a possible solution. No idea if it works though.
    Thanks @Vagabond, I will try this out ASAP.
  • PyroPatPyroPat Member Posts: 35
    Vagabond said:

Follow-up: Actually...I think I fixed it. In the My Documents folder, open the Baldur's Gate file, and then open the Configuration file. At the very end of the document, There should be:

'Multiplayer', 'Import Character', '1'

Changed that 1 to a 0, and the glitch seems to be fixed.

I tried this, but it didnt work for me :(
    Update: Doesn't work for me either. When I tried importing a character immediately after editing the .ini it went straight to the appearance-button (so presumably an import WITH exp...)

After that I went to the import options and all 3 buttons were greyed out, but clickable. All that seemed to do was reset the '0' to '1' in the .ini.
    That's disappointing...quick question though - did you modify and save the .ini while the game was running? I found that if done that way, the running program will rewrite the .ini to its previous setting. The edit needs to be done while the game is off.
    I closed both the game and the BeamDog client before editing the .ini, i also tried to make it read-only.
    I'm a happy camper! The latest patch resolved my issues as far as I can tell.