Skip to content

Single class shadowdancer?

Hi, I'm interested in the new shadowdancer and his HLA abilities, but I question his usefulness later on? I had a single class assassin and he was really strong when it came to insta gibbing people thanks to the multipler, and with assassination he was a monster.

But SD only goes to 4x, granted, he can use it much more often per combat. My question is does the class die out once he reaches 13? Or is he viable to carry over until I reach the HLAs and get those powerful abilities (barring the trap, seems kinda weak!)?

Comments

• AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Well, it's probably OK to play a single class SD. You lose on traps, but you do get some nifty abilities.
  • LjustoLjusto Member Posts: 2
    But could I get his HLAs if I multiclass it instead of dualing?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    It's tough, (not impossible), to multiclass with a kit. Maybe someone around here can help with this? If you pull it off, you should eventually end up getting HLAs, (as long as its a two class setup, not three, I believe).
    No HLA if you dual class, no.
    Kit multiclassing requires some character editing using a tool.

But as a pure Thief, a SD is probably pretty fine, beeing able to backstab every round is pretty powerful.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Still, when you have loads of invisibilty potions and/or improved invisibilty spells/scrolls, hiding in plain sight becomes less and less valuable.
  • NachtiNachti Member Posts: 89
    btw....assassination is now only once selectable at HLA screen.
  • InfiltratorInfiltrator Member Posts: 121
    edited November 2013
    You can't multiclass kits by default AFAIK, but I haven't tried it in BG2:EE.

As for dualing, you can dual FROM fighter, best spots are 7 (good prof points, 1/2 apr), 9 (+1 prof, max hp) or 13 ( max apr, additional prof).. BUT you can't dual to a kit.. only base thief.

I am not sure if you can get grandmastery with multiclass fighters in BG2EE (someone confirm?). If so, and if you can get a kit + core class multiclass than it's best to multi figher/SD hands down as the HLAs are based on total XP.

Single class should also be ok - you can get good thaco from stealth and you can stealth multiple times per engagement.
    Post edited by Infiltrator on
  • SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    I dualclasses fighter > Priest of lathander ... And I got GM in Flails ... Not sure if this is a bug or not, but it worked for me.

(Note) I was Multiclass up until BG2 .. it annoyed me, so I made it human and went DC instead...
    Nachti said:

btw....assassination is now only once selectable at HLA screen.

It has always been that way.
    Only multiclassed Thieves were bugged and allowed to take that HLA multiple times (IE : Fighter/Thief)

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Spungi said:

I dualclasses fighter > Priest of lathander ... And I got GM in Flails ... Not sure if this is a bug or not, but it worked for me.

(Note) I was Multiclass up until BG2 .. it annoyed me, so I made it human and went DC instead...

Dual-classed Fighters can reach GM. Its a thing they can do. My F>T has Grandmastery in Quarterstaff, High Mastery in Longsword, and Mastery in Crossbow. XD
    I think it's rather stupid that you can't dual into a kit, but can dual from one. Fighter 9 > SD would have been great.
  • notbatmannotbatman Member Posts: 11
    shadowdancers are pretty radical. imo it is the best thief kit by far, you can really cheese a lot of encounters by backstabbing, waiting 6 seconds, hiding again, backstabbing etc. They nerfed it so you couldn't immediately hide again and you have to wait but honestly it's still really strong
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    starting a parallel solo run with an SD. What do you think? Is it feasible to do it as a standalone SD or do I have to dual to Fighter at 13? That was my original plan but I hate to miss use any item... From powergaming of course dual is better with grand mastery etc. but would thief THACO be enough esp. for those enemies that can't be backstabbed? no traps either... but I just love UaI :)

I think it's rather stupid that you can't dual into a kit, but can dual from one. Fighter 9 > SD would have been great.

Through the power of Shadowkeeper, all things are possible. So says my Fighter>Assassin.

Through the power of Shadowkeeper, all things are possible. So says my Fighter>Assassin.
    I know, but that's like cheating, somewhat.

It's completely legal according to PnP rules, if that makes you feel better =P

Also while it is pretty powerful I don't really see it as any more inherently powerful than a lot of other DC options.

It's completely legal according to PnP rules, if that makes you feel better =P

Also while it is pretty powerful I don't really see it as any more inherently powerful than a lot of other DC options.
    I'm inclined to agree. Dualing to a kit should be there by default though, it makes a lot of sense.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    @notbatman

It is on paper, but how do you manage to kill anything with the class's abysmal thac0? What use is a backstab when the character misses 50% of the time? :/

I swear, there's nothing more frustrating than missing 2-3 backstabs in a row with your SD while Minsc/Korgan/Dorn/Sarevok are busy cleaving through a mountain of bloody gibs. I know thieves aren't supposed to be killing machines like fighters, but still, what's the point of hiding and backstabbing it you have to pray to Tymora to connect a hit!

Am I doing something wrong? Maybe there's some trick or something I'm missing? :/
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Mmm, just imagine ranger>cleric of lathander.. or fighter>wild mage. I guess that's why they disabled dualing into a kit, as there's no point in being a single class then.
    I mean part of the issue is that in technical PnP terms duelling into a kit is supposed to be something that you RP'd over the length of an adventure. In BG terms, it only *really* makes sense if you gained kits at the culmination of a specific questline where you trained in them, rather than selecting them at character creation. Starting with a kit (in BGEE) implies that were trained growing up, whereas presumably selecting one in BG2 (as in the original) implied retroactively that you had trained as such during the events of BG1 (thus in a sense, picking a kit in BG2 rather than BG1 makes more 'sense').

Ideally, you'd gain kits like the stronghold quest lines, where taking one would lock you out of another (since you can only have a single kit active at any time). Single or Dual-Classed characters would thus be able to perform a series of quests in order to acquire their kit in their active class (since gaining a kit in an inactive class makes little sense). Obviously this functionality isn't in the game, so the system is at it is, and any dualling-into-kit shenanigans have to be RP'd by the player. I tend to take party members who might teach me some approximation of the abilities the kit possesses, for example and RP as Charname learning on the road.