Skip to content

What is the best OS for bgee and bg2ee?

I've been having some trouble with my bgee, and am appraching the point when I can no longer justify the effort to make it work. Problem explaned here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/25189/bgee-v1-2-0-works-fine-then-suddenly-starts-freezing-up#latest
I'm contemplating taking a shortcut and devoting a drive to the task.

In leu, what is the best operating system for running bgee and bg2ee, please?

Comments

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    I tagged a question about your mouse in your other thread, please check that out.

As to the best operating system. Not to be flip, but one that works would probably be the best. :)

I say that because I have 2 win 7 OS's running both of these games and not seeing any issues at all. I've happened to Beta Test the game on a 2 Windows 7 Laptops (One Mid/Low end, one Mid/High end), a Mac OS X Laptop, and a Win 7 Desktop...all of which runs the game without any difficulty. The game runs very well on both Windows 7 and Mac OS X. BG:EE Also runs (well is a matter of definition) on the iPad, well enough for me to beat it twice with only minor issues I expect 1.2 will more than fix.

My desktop is a rig similar to yours (Quad Core, 12G memory, Dual NVidia Cards in SLI, etc.) and I can't imagine doing ANYTHING within the game that would cause THAT to stutter.

I am playing with a Wireless Logitech Laser Mouse (one of the notebook models) on my Laptop without a problem.

Before you dump one OS for another, I would try replacing the mouse or re-installing your OS to see if the problem persists.

From a "best OS" perspective I'd say from the currently supported OS's, Win 7 is probably the most tested OS with Win 8 / 8.1 coming in shortly behind that and Mac OS X (various versions) coming in significantly behind that.
  • EmilAmundsenEmilAmundsen Member Posts: 12
    Thanks again for answeing Illydth, :)
    By "best" I do indeed mean "one that works", so your suggestion is spot on.

My thinking is, with only bgee having an issue on my rig it would be preferable to install a paralell win7 or "best os" on a different drive. This because doing that takes 2 hours instead of 2 days, and the issue may yet prove to be hardware with os-reinstall doing nothing.. :)
    Another big candidate are the net.framework 4.5 files in concert with my ATI-boards, making a new install potentially useless untill the files are updated by provider.

Based on your suggestion I may try it with a fresh install of win7. Thanks :)
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/410544

Again "consolidating" threads here.

Will Comment on this in the other thread.