Skip to content

Fonts Distorted on laptop running 8.1

Running Baldur's Gate EE on Toshiba I5 laptop with Windows 8.1. I previously ran the game before the 1.2 patch in Windows 8.0. My issue is this. The game runs, but all the fonts are distorted. I can't read anything. I tried lowering the resolution from 1366x768 in the laptop to 1024x768, but the fonts are still distorted. The graphics options in the game do not allow me to fiddle with the resolution. I dropped the resolution down to 640x480 in compatibility window and I could read the fonts, but barely.

I am running 8.1,as I said and am using Nvidia driver 327.02. The laptop has a GeForce 330M video card. Thanks.

Comments

• SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    Have you tried ticking off "Disable screen scaling on high dpi settings"? I'm pretty sure that was what did it for me.
  • PippaPPippaP Member Posts: 13
    Yes, I did. I also tried the reduced color mode(16-bit color) and just about every possible combination of compatibility mode I could think of. There was a message that flashed across my screen as the 1.2 download patch completed; it was something about the installer...but it disappeared and I couldn't read it.It's too bad that the text is just little dots on my screen. Can't play it that way. I am a bit disappointed. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    I remember someone mentionning a setting in a graphic driver which caused it to try to "smooth" the texts and made them really difficult to read. It may worth trying disabling some filtering.
    Unfortunately I can't find the link.
  • PippaPPippaP Member Posts: 13
    Thanks....I fiddled some more. Went back to native resolution, set it up to play in windowed mode. I can stretch the window to almost full screen. The only issue is the letters "Q" and "J" don't show up. My quit menu is "uit"and Jahiera might be 'aheira", but the game is very playable otherwise.

I hate this kind of stuff when these kind of problems appear.They just shouldn't and doesn't make me want to buy BG2.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    And to clarify @PippaP this was NOT happening Pre-1.2? Did you have any compatibility options set on the game pre 1.2 (Disable Desktop Composition, etc.)?

I have a monitor that runs at 1366x768, I'll try to connect up to it and re-produce soon.

Just out of curiosity, in windowed mode when you drag open the game you say you can get almost full screen a couple of questions:

* Does the text distort at certain sizes and become clear at others?
    * If you were to have to guess at what the "resolution" of the game window was (how many pixels by how many pixels) what would you say gives you the best resolution?

Generic Question: NVidia just released a new version of their drivers a few days ago...any changes with the new version? Or is there a reason you can't go to the new version? (I ask that because one of my systems here starts misbehaving in windows under any driver past 320.whatever). I also notice that you seem to have upgraded Win 8 to Win 8.1 somewhere between your pre 1.2 play and your post 1.2 play. Did you get a chance to play Post 1.2 and Pre Win 8.1? Or Post Win 8.1 and pre 1.2?

If so did you see issues?