Skip to content

Should I use save data from BG to BG2?

How much exactly would that change the game, story, dialogues, characters etc if I loaded save data from BG:EE to BG:EE2?. I was thinking of trying with a different class this time, or just start fresh.

Also, there's a chance I made some bad decisions about how my main and NPCs are leveled up, will this badly influence game play in EE2, making it maybe too hard to finish?

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Somebody else asked a very similar question in this thread.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23117/differences-between-importing-character-from-bg1-to-bg2-and-creating-a-new-character-in-bg2#latest

The stats of ur NPC allies do not carry over into BG 2. In fact, the game kinda assumes you travelled with a specific 'canon party' in BG 1 regardless of who you actually had in ur party, but it isn't too important in the grand scheme of things. You will need to find new companions in BG 2, some are old friends from BG 1, some are brand new, but regardless they will all be more interesting and interactive than in BG 1.

As for 'bad decisions' for the protagonist. I am not sure 'how bad', but you should be fine regardless. If you powergame and make min/max optimal choices, ur Charname will be more powerful for sure. For example because I am in the middle of my first full blind playthrough, I had no idea what weapons my Charname would end up using in BG 2, and I've ended up wasting valuable proficiency points on Scimitars instead of focusing on Katanas, so he is a bit weaker than what he could potentially have been.

However, given that you have up to 5 allies at any given time, ur Charname doesn't really need to be anything special to beat the game, and in my example, my Charname is still arguably the most powerful member of the team. He just isn't 'godly' as he might have been if I gave him perfect stats (which I think is cheesy) and optimised proficiencies and itemisation.