Skip to content

My evil party. Wanna help me pick class?

Im currently running my solo Fighter/Cleric through BG1 on normal.
I just entered undercity so soon time for BG2!

What i cant figure out is what to play in my BG2 evil party on insane. Im out of ideas.
Hexxar and Dorn is a given for new content. Rest will be Koran, Vic and Edwin.

But... jesus i cant figure out what to play myself. Wanna try something new.
Any tips? There are several classes i still havent played in BG, despite tons of playthroughs.
Druid, Bard and Monk are the ones i mainly think of.
Ranger and Paladin i cant play as evil anyway. Kensai dualclass seems way to good...

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    The thing with Evil parties now is that you have all the bases covered. You have 2 great fighters (3 in ToB), one of whom (Korgan) makes an excellent tank. You have an amazing thief, cleric, and mage. This means you can be pretty much anything you want. What about a Bard? If you want to try a Kensai dual-class why don't you do Kensai>Druid, which is far more flavourful (IMO) than the traditional K>T or K>M. You can even fall to Evil in Hell and you'll still be fine in terms of your druidry powers.
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    Evil monk? Barb running around in human flesh+5?
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    Berserker/Druid!
  • ShireShire Member Posts: 58
    edited November 2013

The thing with Evil parties now is that you have all the bases covered. You have 2 great fighters (3 in ToB), one of whom (Korgan) makes an excellent tank. You have an amazing thief, cleric, and mage. This means you can be pretty much anything you want. What about a Bard? If you want to try a Kensai dual-class why don't you do Kensai>Druid, which is far more flavourful (IMO) than the traditional K>T or K>M. You can even fall to Evil in Hell and you'll still be fine in terms of your druidry powers.

Kensai/Druid sounds fun! When to dual a Kensai? Lvl 9?

EDIT: Berserker also sounds cool.
    Druid have a massive plateau in experience around levels 13-15 (14-15 taking a whopping 1.5 million XP D:). Druid 10 on the other hand takes something like 120k, which is under half what it takes to get to Kensai 9 in the first place! (250k). So yeah, Kensai 9 would be good :)
    Berserker/Druid is technically stronger, btw. I just like the flavour of K>D. :)
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Evil monk

Maybe an archer (you would just lose call shot, right?)

Or an evil bard

Those would compliment well
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    edited November 2013
    Not so evil but in vanilla i ran a shapeshifter/thief dual. Dunno if it still applies but with UAI you could get very intimidating AC and over 100 magic damage immunity.

Though now thinking of it i might have cheated...
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Blade. I'd want more than one arcane caster even if it's Edwin.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I'd definitely say some sort of bard. That is what I'm doing atm.
  • MalbanMalban Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2013
    I went with Jester for my evil party, it rounds out the other classes quite nicely. I prefer having at least two arcane casters and it removes the need for Hexxat to spend points on pickpocket.

While the above is true for most bards, I prefer the flavor of Jester for the evil party. There's something appealing about the mischievousness of the kit and the song is terribly fun (especially when you play it while invisible!).

It's not the most powergame-y of options, but I'm having a blast and it's quite viable especially considering how powerful the evil NPCs are.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Red Dragon Disciple.
    You'll be a very powerful and durable mage without needing scrolls.

Dorn for melee offence.
    Viconia for healing.
    Edwin for a mage.
    Montaron for a Thief. (Just kill off Xzar. They don't like each other anyway)
    Kagain for tanking.

In BG2 the party is similar: Dorn, Vic, Edwin but also Hexxat and Korgan which you switch for Sarevok in ToB. Or you can switch Dorn for Sarevok if you want to keep Korgan as a tank.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I'll toss in my vote for evil Jester >:D
  • TaevikTaevik Member Posts: 38
    Either a blade or a cleric/mage combination would be a good fit.

With a blade you get more arcane spells, and you can rig time stop traps in conjunction with oils of speed and offensive spin to take out most enemies in the game. Blade is a lot of fun.

Cleric/mage is also a lot of fun and it puts your character at least on par with Edwin and Viconia, if not outright better. You won't be screwed in a fight if either one of them dies for some reason, and you'll have two healers to fall back on in a fight instead of one. Plus, you will be very hard to bring down when you're using the right combination of cleric and wizard buffs.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I think all 3 bard kits easily fit into an evil party. Personally I'm using a blade and going to roll Varconia and DoV offhand. That's simply because A. scimitars are expensive at the start (I don't think you can afford one by itself) and B. Drizzt isn't worth the effort imo expended imo. Especially at earlier levels.
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    Archaos said:

Red Dragon Disciple.

Dorn for melee offence.
    Viconia for healing.
    Edwin for a mage.
    Kagain for tanking.

In BG2 the party is similar: Dorn, Vic, Edwin but also Hexxat and Korgan which you switch for Sarevok in ToB. Or you can switch Dorn for Sarevok if you want to keep Korgan as a tank.

Dragon Disciple is what I was also going to suggest!
    Archaos said:

Red Dragon Disciple.

Dorn for melee offence.
    Viconia for healing.
    Edwin for a mage.
    Kagain for tanking.

If you want the more powerful MAGE go with Edwin. If you want the more powerful CHARACTER then go with Xzar. There is absolutely no comparison.

Give Xzar one of the tomes of wisdom, and once you've reached level seven immdiately dual class him into a cleric. He will wind up being a Necromancer 7/ Cleric 8 (compared to Edwin who can only reach Conjurer 9). Xzar will have access to both the highest wizard AND cleric spells in the game.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    If this is BG2 were talking about then you don't get Xzar. Having two casters in a group is great even if you already have Edwin. And a player made sorcerer / red dragon disciple will be even better than Edwin, alternatively a blade can also complement Edwin as well.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Malban said:

I went with Jester for my evil party, it rounds out the other classes quite nicely. I prefer having at least two arcane casters and it removes the need for Hexxat to spend points on pickpocket.

While the above is true for most bards, I prefer the flavor of Jester for the evil party. There's something appealing about the mischievousness of the kit and the song is terribly fun (especially when you play it while invisible!).

It's not the most powergame-y of options, but I'm having a blast and it's quite viable especially considering how powerful the evil NPCs are.

I did the same, although I shadowkeepered my PC to chaotic evil.

edited November 2013
    Alot of great opinions guys, thanks!
    Im gonna try out a Bard, ive never even created one before so should be great fun to play something new! Now i just have to decide on kit. Good arguments for both Blade and Jester here.
    Seen nothing about Skald yet. :P
    Skald song seems pretty neat for a Insane party.
    Shire said:

Alot of great opinions guys, thanks!
    Im gonna try out a Bard, ive never even created one before so should be great fun to play something new! Now i just have to decide on kit. Good arguments for both Blade and Jester here.
    Seen nothing about Skald yet. :P
    Skald song seems pretty neat for a Insane paty.

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    My lone issue with Skald is that you spend the game "setting and forgetting" your main character to sing & do little else. Decent in battle, but a Blade does that better.
    Yes, been reading around a little and figured out that also.
    Im gonna go create a blade now, thanks again!
  • NachtiNachti Member Posts: 89
    You could also create a monk. Underrated class ever and fun to play in SoA and ToB.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    One more for a bard, possibly jester.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    jackjack said:

I'll toss in my vote for evil Jester >:D

Elan is not evil!
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    bah.... this thread is making my chronic restart syndrome begin to itch.....