Skip to content

Bards and HLA traps

2»

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited February 2013
    I suppose the more stringent restrictions on a Kensai's "focus" in PnP somewhat offset the oddity of such a singularily devoted class going over to something equally as intense as the study of magic... still, it doesn't sit well with a lot of people.

But always keep in mind that legitimate or not, there are many factors that enter the equation. The whole framework of the game defines the power of a class - strength can only be measured in relative terms. Personally, I don't find K->M to be THAT much more powerful than any other type of Fighter->Mage; they do more damage to be sure and Kai is a killer, but what really matters is the fact that the mage part basically makes you invulnerable to nearly everything, while at the same time you do not rely on it for your damage - and that's true for all Fighter->Mages, or Fighter/Mages for that matter, not just Kensais. 10 APR and an endgame weapon will easily do more damage than spells, and that's not even going into things like magic resistance and the likes. I'm not sure PnP allows for some of the ridiculous protective spells available in BG, like Stoneskin or Protection from Magic Weapons. True that this means Kensais effectively become all upside-no-downside, but the Kensai bonuses are't, imo, the actual problem of it all.

Blame the mages, as always! Everything's their fault every time, sort of a rule for fantasy RPGs...
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    In my BGT game, you had to check for set traps skills when using HLA traps. Although, at that point, most thieves will have enough points to max set traps skill to 100. But I remember failing when my thief's skill was low when laying HLA traps. (since I had a kit that omitted normal traps, I never put points there) Bards on the other hand, are given 100 set traps skill automaticaly. (I've checked with SK, it is there in thieving skills, just does not display on character sheet) You can argue it makes no sense, as bards never ever deal with traps in their career. Refinements mod gives bards unique and sound-song based new HLAs, which feel more appropriate and special IMHO
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Because mortal strength can only go so far, in a fantasy world. Once you start dealing with high ranking demons, older dragons, and the more powerful varieties of undead, magic becomes vitally important.

And then you get Beholders who just wreck everybody's world, magic or not.

(While it's Technically from 3.5 edition it still applies since it's based on the Anti-magic Field spell, whose function didn't change, to quote a certain dragon "Well your magic is certainly as powerful as I'd heard mage, but lets see what happens when we turn the magic OFF...ANTI-MAGIC FIELD!...You are now but a frail hairless ape, while I, am STILL a dragon..*squish*")

Even using magical weapons at all is simply a "mage's fault" since they had to craft them in the first place. Hell, in 2nd edition, crafting any magical items aside from potions is literally impossible without a mage, since all of them require either a 6th level mage spell or an 8th level mage, depending on the item.

• HenkeBHenkeB Member Posts: 97
    I actualy cant set traps with my Blade. I get the set snare fail every time i try to set the HLA traps. Anyone else have this problem?
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192

Because mortal strength can only go so far, in a fantasy world.

But why should it? If there's magic and monsters and gods all over the place, why must mortal warriors settle to hitting things really hard while wizards can rewrite reality in a whim? Why couldn't the warriors too do all kinds of ridiculous shit with their blades?

It's bloody fantasy!