Skip to content

Rolling a dwarf

Hello everybody!

I'm contemplating on rolling a dwarf, since my rerollitis has gotten the better of me lately and seems to hinder my advancement with the game. So I thought of doing something radically different: rolling a shorty, which I've never done before. And while everyone seems to agree that shorties are awesome, you hardly see people talking about playing one as a PC. Also every single one of the dwarf portraits screams awesome, so that's a big plus.

I've already narrowed down the class choices. I'm not looking for a powergaming discussion about which of these classes is the most powerful, since I think all 3 of them are quite potent. It's just about which one YOU experienced/think to be the most fun. I'm aiming for some kind of neutral alignment so I won't be limited in party composition. Stats are not that hard to get (18/?? STR, 17 DEX, 19 CON) except for the F/C who's also going to want some WIS - 16 at least? I'm aiming for a good roll but not a 90+ one if it takes too long.

DD: While I'm interested in this one, I'm not sure if it's going to be satisfying to play over an extended period of time. Of course it's going to pack a punch and is able to take a beating, but is there more to it? Seems like a solid choice from a gameplay perspective, but a bit one dimensional. Proficiencies for this class are also set in stone (axes/hammers and two weapon style - missing anything?).

F/C: Obviously the cleric part is going to complement the fighter very well. Divine spellcasting has a lot of uses and gives the character another gameplay mechanic to fiddle around with. I'm not quite sure on the weapon proficiencies, but I guess it's also going to be two weapon style?

F/T: This one also seems very entertaining to play. I like it when the PC has a lot of utility/gameplay options. With this one the PC will be able to take care of locks/traps and backstab while still being able to put up a fight. I also think that setting traps is great fun. Speaking proficiencies, I'm not quite sure. I know that longswords are a solid choice, but I'm not digging them on a dwarf (while it's not going to be a hardcore RP run, there are still some things which would strike me kind of odd). So it's probably going to be shortswords for backstabbing and something more... raw for the offhand. I'm thinking clubs (which could also be used for mainhand blunt backstabbing). Maybe even axes or hammers because I think they're awesome. Also, I REALLY like crossbows, but I'm not sure if they are worth squeezing in, since you can't weapon switch from two weapon style (but you can with a two handed weapon? Oh the reasoning...).

Well, this became even more long-winded than I thought. Thanks for reading!

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited November 2013
    I love my Dwarven F/C. Stonebeard is his name. He dual wields flails and hammers.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    A dwarven Fighter/Thief sounds good fun to me. For lower levels you may want single weapon style instead of two weapon style. Not only do you get an AC bonus, you also retain the ability to switch in and out of ranged weapons on the fly AND your critical hit chance is doubled (great for backstabs).

Shortsword and Dagger maybe? Or are you thinking of a larger weapon in the offhand?

Obviously F/C is a powerhouse. You know that though.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    @retrosic: I think that F/C dwarf is one of the best combo ever (in my opinion) as it's made for hammers, and you could find some good hammers in BG saga.

Crom Faeyr for all, but I would make a dwarf F/C just for that beautiful dwarf-only throwing hammer... u,u

btw, no need of dual wielding CHARNAME, go weapon+shield, there are plenty of dual wielding NPC in the game.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    I couldn't resist

The one time i rolled a dwarf I made a bounty hunter. All points into set traps, used Imoen as a back-up thief for find traps till level 4, then dualed her to mage. by that point all your thieves skills should be well developed. from a RP point of view a gruff dwarf LN bounty hunter is very satisfying
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    @mjs
    Moradin's Beard, you beat me to it.

IRT Thread
    My current Fighter/Cleric is using hammers/flails + a shield and he's a monster. Just acquired the Flail of the Ages and he is beating the snot out of beholders and the like singlehandedly. For runners, he's got the Dwarven Thrower. For Ogres and the like, the Hammer of Thunderbolts (soon to be tricked out).
    Draw upon Holy Might boosts all his physical stats into the twenties, and that's just the start of his list of hardcore buffs.
    If you want a monster that monsters have nightmares about, go with Fighter/Cleric.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    mjs said:

I couldn't resist

The one time i rolled a dwarf I made a bounty hunter. All points into set traps, used Imoen as a back-up thief for find traps till level 4, then dualed her to mage. by that point all your thieves skills should be well developed. from a RP point of view a gruff dwarf LN bounty hunter is very satisfying

I was imagining how to make this joke and then you already did it way better ^^
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    If only Fighter/Cleric/Thief was a thing... Dwarf as one of those would be pretty great.

But at any rate Fighter/Cleric is a rather solid option since it does give you DUHM
    even after Irenicus steals your soul

Fighter + DUHM = A new color on the walls depending on the color of the insides of whatever else was in the room besides the fighter...
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    DD or F/C

With DD I'd go with shield instead of dual wielding. It's not the optimal option, but concept-wise dual wielding with a DD just seems wrong.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    A gnomish F/T would be slightly better mechanically - although the ability to reach 20 CON for that instant regen when travelling is awesome.