Skip to content

Aerie can't write certern scrolls

VinnieLeeVinnieLee Member Posts: 15
I played the old BG2 years ago, I don't remember there is anything special about Aerie's mage skills, but I find that in my BGII:EE, Aerie can't write some scrolls, like Grease, Haste, etc. I open up a Haste scroll in Aerie's inventory, there is no "Write Magic" button. She's not wearing any armor or under any debuff, and Haste is not already in her spell book.

I know she believes in Gnome God, and Gnome Mage/Cleric is actually Illusionist/Cleric, but Illusionist's opposite school is Necromancy, Haste is Alteration...I might be wrong (VERY LIKELY).

Is it a bug?

EDIT:Thanks all your posts, turns out it's not an issue, I just ran out of spell slots.
Post edited by VinnieLee on

Comments

• nsrnsr Member Posts: 174
    You may already have too many spells of that level. You can either erase a spell or use a potion to raise intelligence
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    16 int only allows her to memorize 11 spells per level.
  • VinnieLeeVinnieLee Member Posts: 15
    nsr said:

You may already have too many spells of that level. You can either erase a spell or use a potion to raise intelligence

I thought about this, but shouldn't there be a pop up window says something like "You already reached the maximam amout of spells of that level" ? Because I didn't get that window or any warning, and I did get that in BG:EE. But thanks all the same, maybe that's the answer.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    No you should have a button. I do even though Aerie has max spells for the level of scroll I'm trying to learn.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Hmmm. For me the button disappeared if I had maximum spells for that level.
    Works fine for me.

• FrkunFrkun Member Posts: 52
    For me it happens the same with Neera. When I reached the maximun of spells the button dissapears. But even uglier, I cannot learn spells from level 9. I already tried with spell trap and time stop, though my level 9 book is empty.
    elminster said:

Works fine for me.

Help me, the almighty Elminster!
    I don't get the "Write Magic" button, as you said, the button should be there even I have max out my spells in that level. And all other Mage characters don't have this "problem".

I'll try erase some spells and try it again later.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited November 2013
    Frkun said:

But even uglier, I cannot learn spells from level 9. I already tried with spell trap and time stop, though my level 9 book is empty.

Neera doesn't have enough intelligence to scribe level 9 spells. Give her a potion of genius.
    Just tried erasing some spells from that level, and it works, the button is back.
    But in BG:EE, the "Write Magic" button is always there, and you get a pop-up window to tell you that you've run out of slots. Now in my BGII:EE the button just disappears after you reach max spell amount in that level... I miss that pop-up window, I think it's needed.
    I wonder is it an update thing?
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    VinnieLee said:

But in BG:EE, the "Write Magic" button is always there, and you get a pop-up window to tell you that you've run out of slots. Now in my BGII:EE the button just disappears after you reach max spell amount in that level... I miss that pop-up window, I think it's needed.

Open baldur.ini in notepad and add this line if it's not already there:

'Game Options', 'All Learn Spell Info', '1',
    Frkun said:

For me it happens the same with Neera. When I reached the maximun of spells the button dissapears. But even uglier, I cannot learn spells from level 9. I already tried with spell trap and time stop, though my level 9 book is empty.

You need to drink a potion of genius or a potion of mind focussing if you want her to learn level 9 spells.