Skip to content

Best Druid Kit/Dual Class/Multiclass for BG2EE?

jaldenjalden Member Posts: 44
For all you BG veterans...

What is the best way to play a Druid in BG2EE and why?
  1. Best Druid Kit/Dual Class/Multiclass for BG2EE?65 votes
    1. Avenger
      16.92%
    2. Druid
        1.54%
    3. Dual Class Fighter(including kits) to Druid
      46.15%
    4. Dual Class Druid(including kits) to Fighter
        4.62%
    5. Multiclass Druid/Fighter
      12.31%
    6. Shapeshifter
        9.23%
    7. Totemic Druid
        9.23%

Comments

• ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 876
    If you want simple power, a berserker dual-classed to a druid probably is the most powerful druid variant overall.

However, I personally like the Avenger the best (by far). The Avenger's mage spells really improve the character's casting options (especially for spell levels 1-2, but every spell level benefits). And the Avenger's unique shape-shift options also are effective, especially compared to those of the vanilla druid. The kit's drawbacks are minor.

The Totemic Druid strikes me as okay as well, though I've never played one for an extended period. (The character gives up the rather underwhelming standard shape-shifting ability in return for some very helpful summons.)

I would not take the vanilla druid with either the Avenger or Totemic Druid available.

Multi-class druid/fighters have the problem that it will take *forever* for the character to advance from level 14 to 15 as a druid. It's painful enough as a single-class druid; as a multi-class druid/fighter, it's intolerable.

In short, for power, berserker>druid dual-class is best; for flavour and variety, Avenger is best.
  • cervanntescervanntes Member Posts: 64
    It's hard to beat the Avenger as a single-class druid, and in general I prefer single-class priestly types. Otherwise I'd probably go with a fighter/druid multiclass or a fighter-type-to-druid dual class. I actually find druids quite fun regardless, but in terms of pure utility, it's hard to beat the avenger. The additional mage spells help round out their spell selection a bit, and the new shapeshifting forms are definitely a step up from the norm. The downside to Avengers just doesn't outweigh the benefits.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Since every Avenger thus far has made an explanatory post I feel obligated to as well! I think the Avenger is the most fun though I agree with @Thrasymachus that the F>D dual is more powerful. Basically everything he said, in fact.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    What @Thrasymachus said.
  • superliminaldudesuperliminaldude Member Posts: 27
    I'm having quite a bit of fun with a Kensai dual to druid. He dual wields scimitars and protects himself with barkskin and ironskins. It seems to work pretty well, not as OP as Kensai/Mage or thief, but it's a fun variation. I've never found much use for the druid kits, myself. The Avenger seems to be the best option, but shapeshifting becomes pretty useless mid-late game.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited November 2013
    Having most fun with Barb-Druids (Mod), but Avengers come as a close second.
    Why..? Barbarians have nice immunities while raging (works while shapeshifted, too), constant backstab immu + high hp and some other benefits.
  • NachtiNachti Member Posts: 89
    I like to play Fighter/Druid because you mix HLA Shapeshift with figther stats - Weapon Styles, Attacks per round, hitpoints.

Earth Elementar with 3 attacks or whirlwind is not that bad.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 876

I'm having quite a bit of fun with a Kensai dual to druid. He dual wields scimitars and protects himself with barkskin and ironskins. It seems to work pretty well, not as OP as Kensai/Mage or thief, but it's a fun variation. I've never found much use for the druid kits, myself. The Avenger seems to be the best option, but shapeshifting becomes pretty useless mid-late game.

Thematically, a kensai>druid strikes me as making a lot more sense than a berserker>druid.

As for shapeshifting becoming "pretty useless" late in the game, while that is true, I don't think that an ability that is quite useful for 2/3 or 3/4 of the game should be discounted. In any case, IMO the mage spells are what distinguish the Avenger from the other kits.
  • ManicMcChipmunkManicMcChipmunk Member Posts: 3
    Even tough it's not on the list I'd recommend playing a Ranger/Cleric. I just finished a run with it and it's awsome. It's basically a druid/cleric with a great melee possibilities.