Skip to content

Well, looks like I'm done for awhile :(

VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
edited November 2013 in Not An Issue
I attempted to press the = key (I have it assigned to select my whole party), I missed and hit another key and suddenly the entire game screen went black (just the game, not the UI, I can still see my characters on the right side, the bottom bar and the left bar), but for whatever reason the world and people in the game are jet black. I can still hear things going on and what not, characters talking, etc.

I load up another game, everything is pure black. Obviously I accidentally hit some key that is supposed to change something graphically that isn't compatible with my setup or some such. Whenever I hit all the keys in that area though nothing happens, so it doesn't appear to be a toggle.

Seems to be an issue of substantial size to me. Any help?
Post edited by LiamEsler on

Comments

• JitterBugJitterBug Member Posts: 37
    Can you reload an earlier save? Do you think ctlr was pressed at the time?
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    edited November 2013
    Exiting the game completely and reloading fixed the issue, but still worth pointing out I think. Quite a list of bugs built up so far :)

@JitterBug Control certainly wasn't pressed, and as I stated loading any other game resulted in the same black game screen, very unusual, but still worth pointing out. Wish I knew exactly what key I pressed though.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Maybe try renaming your Baldur.ini file (should be in Documents\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\) to something else (like Baldur1). Upon starting up the game a new Baldur.ini will be generated, reverting the game back to its default settings. No idea if this will help but it won't hurt anything either. If it doesn't help just delete the new Baldur.ini and change the name back for the previous one.
    @TJ_Hooker
    Thanks for the suggestion, probably would work too, though reloading the game completely and relaunching it seemed to fix it. Thanks again :)
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Please write what you did (which keys caused this blackout), if you could reproduce it.
    @Avenger_teambg
    I will attempt to replicate when I find a moment and will certainly let you know what I did if I figure it out. Thanks :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Any idea what shenanigans you got up to? :p
    elminster said:

Any idea what shenanigans you got up to? :p

Sadly when I get home from work I'm so eager to play what couple of hours I can, I usually forget to try to replicate! Maybe I'll buckle down and try tonight :)
    Well so far I haven't been able to replicate, I guess I'll just keep tabs on it and if it happens again I'll try to post more meaningful information. Must be a very isolated/uncommon issue o.o
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    This also happened to me ... but I absolutely don't know how it happened.
    Reloading wasn't working, I had to quit completely and restart the application.
    Well I am glad I'm not the only one! But like you, I have no idea what I did--was in Waukeen's Promenade near the weapons vender outside of Adventure Mart, reached for '=' after selling some goods, and boom, black screen.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    edited November 2013
    Do you have cheats enabled? IIRC there's a cheat button that causes a fade out (and one that fades back in), intended to be used for cutscene testing.

I'll go see if I can track down which button it might be.

* So ctrl+2 should fade the screen out, and ctrl+3 should bring it back. Give these a try if you're facing this issue.
    Certainly worth looking into, I shall when I get home (if I remember to) :)
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    If it was a gradual fading out, then it was very likely the ctrl keys mentioned above.
    For me it was an instant change to black. Could still hear all of the ambient sounds, people talking, etc. Just couldn't see anything (other than the interface).