Skip to content

Would this party be OK?

What do you think about this party? Is it to squishy, too many casters, would it become too difficult to play? It is for BG2:EE

Sorcerer (ME - imported from BG1)
Korgan - tank
Minsc - dps, second tank
Viconia - healer
Jan - not sure how will play him, decided to go with him, because he's supposedly funny and a thief. The problem is his mage part, since I already have 3 casters.
Neera - for romance - mage

If this party isn't any good, I could go with a fighter or something else, instead of a sorcerer (if so, what do you suggest). In both cases, how should I level up Jan? Also, how is Korgan (Berserker) as a tank?

Any advice is helpful, thanks

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Looks good. Magic dominates battles in BG 2. This is a pretty powerful party in a powergaming sense.

• Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    Having three mages will be a help, not a hindrance. Your only issue will be watching reputation. Too high, you'll anger Korgan and Viconia. Too low, you'll anger Minsc. Since your party is mostly neutral/evil, you might consider Dorn in place of Minsc.
  • AdiaAdia Member Posts: 6
    It is a solid party - Korgan is an absolute tank, and with Minsc they should demolish pretty much anything. Viconia is the best cleric in the game, so she's a definite plus.

Jan - despite his annoyances - is a good thief and can do everything but backstab IIRC. I tend to use him to cast invisibility and then set a bunch of traps. I wouldn't worry that he is also a mage - as I said, it means he can cast spells like invisibility, and some other protection spells, as he is rather squishy. And, having the option to have another mage is always useful.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Really, the game can be completed by any combination of NPC's and any protagonist. Some will be more difficult than others, but take the NPC's that interest you the most. If something really doesn't work, you'll be able to tell.
  • SaebaSaeba Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for replying everyone.

In case I decide to go with a fighter, what weapons do you suggest I use? Melee, ranged.. are 2H weapons any good in BG2?

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Melee is probably your best bet. If you want to use 2H weapons keep in mind the best one is paladin-only. Or you can dual wield in which case any weapon is fine as long as you don't specialize in the same thing as your other fighters.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    2H weapons are very good, in fact, you'll have several fairly quickly in BG2 and probably not enough companions who can use them. Ranged weapons are okay for the first part of BG2, but you'll find that it's hard to get the +3 you need to hit certain monsters by halfway through Chapter 2. Everyone needs back-up melee weapons and by late game you'll be using melee and spells pretty much all the time.

I would recommend having two solid ranged attackers who can swap to melee with either 2H weapon or single weapon style and one weapon. More than two ranged-focused attackers will start to slow you down as the game progresses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2013
    nano said:

Melee is probably your best bet. If you want to use 2H weapons keep in mind the best one is paladin-only. Or you can dual wield in which case any weapon is fine as long as you don't specialize in the same thing as your other fighters.

No spoiler, but there is now a very, very powerful evil 2H sword floating around. It comes later in the game than Carsomyr, but Dorn is quite nice with it.

@Saeba I just finished my first BG2EE playthough, and I used a pure-class sorcerer imported from BGEE. I had a lot of fun with it. At times the 'limited' spell selection kind of got to me, but I realized I never use 80-90% of the spells anyway. But since your proposed group has another full mage and a multiclass mage, you'll be able to handle any situation well.