Skip to content

Anomen's Weapon Proficiences when starting a new game in ToB

YozZzZzYozZzZz Member Posts: 22
edited November 2013 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
Bug: When you start a new game in ToB and you summon Anomen in the Pocket Plane, he is being specialized (**) in Spears?!

Expected Behavior: Anomen should have all of his proficiency points spent in weapons or styles, that he can use.

Another Minor Bug: Upon making a new character and choosing Assassin kit for Thief, it is said that you can only reach x7 backstab later in BG2...

Expected Behavior: There shouldn't be such text for the game you're actually playing.
Post edited by YozZzZz on

Comments

• KriegerKrieger Member Posts: 40
    It's not just ToB. For me he had two stars in Spears at the start of SoA as well.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    This is the result of the fact that Anomen is dualclass. He started as fighter, had proficiencies in spear and then he has become priest. He has regained his proficiencies but now because he is priest he can´t use spears.
  • YozZzZzYozZzZz Member Posts: 22
    But in vanilla BG2 he didn't had such proficiencies and it really doesn't make sense to add them in the Enhanced Version... Plus he's proficient in sword and shield style - why would he choose spear as a fighter?
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    I know that he had these proficiencies in my (non EE) modded games. I think that it is part of Unfinished Business or Fixpack. So it was probably implemented.
    YozZzZz said:

Plus he's proficient in sword and shield style - why would he choose spear as a fighter?

He is NPC so he is non subject to the rules of powerplaying. Some people prefer handling superficially more types of weapons than reaching mastery in one specific type of weapon. Or he could learn sword and shield style after he has choosen to be cleric. Plus in one dialog with Yoshimo he speaks specifically that he killed wyvern (or something similar) with spear when he was knight (= fighter).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    It was part of the fix pack to correct the fact that at level 7/8 he should have 10 total proficiency points. Anomen does actually mention how he used a spear during a tournament against some creature, so I think thats where the inspiration comes from.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    elminster said:

It was part of the fix pack to correct the fact that at level 7/8 he should have 10 total proficiency points. Anomen does actually mention how he used a spear during a tournament against some creature, so I think thats where the inspiration comes from.

Is there any chance that that proficiency system will be changed for dual/multi class characters? (I havent tested it for some time, so sorry if it's already happened).
    What I mean is that multiclass fighters should be able to go beyond two points.
    And dualclass characters shouldn't lose points if they put points twice on the same weapon. (for example put one on staff as a thief, then as a mage, ending up with only one point.)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Anomen with proficience in spears is roleplay protection. If you romance him in one of his stories he will speak how he killed a Wyrven with an spear and saved a bunch of young squires during an campaign.
  • Plus, Anomen served for a time as a squire himself, so his proficiency in spears is likely a holdover from that period.
  • Cartman2020Cartman2020 Member Posts: 19
    It's realistic that he could learn to use spear before he became a cleric, but on the other hand: why can't he use it now? Does he have some anti-non-blunt weapons vows? In D&D 3rd edition everyone can use every weapon, you just have penalties if you don't specialize in it. Even an untrained person should know how to use a long sword to hit stunned or sleeping enemy.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited November 2013

It's realistic that he could learn to use spear before he became a cleric, but on the other hand: why can't he use it now? Does he have some anti-non-blunt weapons vows? In D&D 3rd edition everyone can use every weapon, you just have penalties if you don't specialize in it. Even an untrained person should know how to use a long sword to hit stunned or sleeping enemy.

Quote from the AD&D second edition player's handbook: "Clerics are sturdy soldiers, although their selection of weapons is limited. They can wear any type of armor and use any shield. Standard clerics, being reluctant to shed blood or spread violence, are allowed to use only blunt, bludgeoning weapons."
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    Because mashing someone with a giant balls of spikes is less violent than a quick, clean, throat cut.

AD&D, everybody.
  • Cartman2020Cartman2020 Member Posts: 19
    Yeah, I get it, but it's still a bit weird, especially for evil clerics. I bet they don't give a damn. But I understand that AD&D had it's limitations, so I'm OK with that, but it's kind of lame when someone tries to make it more realistic by adding something that is kinda pointless. There are some unrealistic things in cRPGs that make life easier (one size fits all armors etc) and I don't think we should change that to add "realism'. Ogres or giants could drop armors that would be too big to use by any NPC, but what's the point?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Giving Anomen proficiency in spear was done on purpose to show that he's dumb (words not mine) :D

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=5455&view=findpost&p=51680

Yeah, I get it, but it's still a bit weird, especially for evil clerics. I bet they don't give a damn. But I understand that AD&D had it's limitations, so I'm OK with that, but it's kind of lame when someone tries to make it more realistic by adding something that is kinda pointless. There are some unrealistic things in cRPGs that make life easier (one size fits all armors etc) and I don't think we should change that to add "realism'. Ogres or giants could drop armors that would be too big to use by any NPC, but what's the point?

My point exactly.
    There's one more thing then - why doesn't Yeslick have a proficiency point in axes for the same "roleplaying" reasons? He mentions axes in his soundset...
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    He mentions Clangeddin's axe. Clangeddin is a dwarven deity who favours an axe as his weapon of choice.

But Yeslick isn't a dual-classed cleric that used to be a warrior, in which case it would make sense for him to have used an axe in the past. He's a dwarven fighting priest, who has grown up training with the weapons he uses today. The original Bioware devs decided to constrain even dwarven clerics from using axes, and so poor Yeslick has never truly had a chance to come to terms with his cultural heritage.