Skip to content

A Gimp Run: an idea for a BGEE+BG2EE no-reload solo playthrough

The main idea is to challenge myself by playing weak/inconvenient classes or kits without multi- or dual-classing options.

Currently, my gimp list includes:

- Wizard Slayer (any race except Human allowed): No doubts here. This kit has very severe limitations with no redeeming qualities. As a sidenote, I would have allowed Wizard Slayers to use Paladin-only items to be reasonably appealing and somewhat efficient.

- Beastmaster (any race except Human allowed): After the Fairy Dragon got nerfed in BGEE, there is little doubt this guy should be on the list. The limitations are way too severe for miniscule benefits he gains. Again, as a sidenote, I would have allowed Beastmasters to specialize in spears and axes to make them viable.

- Shadowdancer (any race except Human allowed): This... triumph of design even surpasses other OH classes. Don't get me started. As it stands, it's a very safe thief effectively lacking two things that make thieves appealing in the first place (traps & backstabs). Starting with level 23, he gets three unique HLAs, one of which is probably actually powerful. But that's one hell of a long way to level 23. Still, not sure Shadowdancer must be on the list. Opinions?

- Sun Soul Monk. Well, this guy can use Rasaad's equipment (if his stats qualify), but in BG2EE, he is going to have a very hard time (as if Monks were easy in the first place!) without Quivering Palm. Dark Moon Monk actually seems the strongest of the three Monk options with his decent spell selection plus Quivering Palm, while a pureclass Monk at least gets his Quivering Palm.

I don't think any of the Bard kits qualifies (Bards are too good to be on the list), even if Skald and Jester aren't all that hot. The same is true regarding Priest of Helm, Totemic Druid, some mage kits, etc. All those are gimps only within their own class.

Comments

• TisamonTisamon Member Posts: 209
    edited November 2013
    No comments/opinions on gimp list? Come on, guys. Should a Shadowdancer (single-classed) and a Sun Soul Monk be on the list? I admit I have little experience with Monks (relatively, that is). I've played some Shadowdancer/Fighter, and though it was hardly a gimped character due to its fighter levels, I can tell you Shadowstep was almost never of any substantial use. It does break combat scripts for one round (i. e., Davaeorn and Coast Way Elminster are trying to beat you up with their staves), and it's occasionally moderately useful for getting away from a trapped room after triggering a trap (e. g., a central tent in Bandit's Camp), but... meh.
  • BusticationBustication Member Posts: 49
    Shadowdancers certainly aren't weak. Inconvenient is debatable. By BG1 endgame, their backstab is worth it and made for the easiest defeat of Sarevok I've ever played. The coolest thing about them is that they have the a legitimate version of the ultimate cheese tactics as a class feature; they're born kiters. Then there's the exploit of hiding, selecting a weapon (thus leaving shadows), waiting out the hide delay, attacking once, and immediately hiding again. This makes them effectively untouchable by most enemies before ToB. I'm convinced they'd make great solo characters, and they can work even better in a group.

Honestly, though, these classes really aren't so bad. A bit more challenging than others, perhaps, but none (no, not even wizard slayer) make the game an overwhelming challenge. Additional restrictions are needed. Maybe a solo challenge and/or item and proficiency restrictions?

Also, the word "gimp" has an unfortunate history as a nasty aspersion and really hasn't been properly reclaimed yet.
  • TisamonTisamon Member Posts: 209
    @Bustication

>Maybe a solo challenge and/or item and proficiency restrictions?

Well, you know, given the fact the title explicitly says: "An idea for a BGEE+BG2EE no-reload solo playthrough"...
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited November 2013
    just don't max stats
    take minsc for example he is not powerhouse but he has really cool stats for berserking ranger high str mid dex and conc
    go insane difficulty

it will be challanging