Skip to content

Requesting changes to the attribute distribution system

bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
As the title suggests i do not feel ok when dices interfere with character development and i simply can't accept playing a lesser characater due to dices.

Wouldn't it be better to simply move closer to the 3rd AD&D rules regarding this aspect? after all it's still within the rules(or rather the next gen of rules),does anyone really think it's fun playing a character with less potential,spending hours rerolling or using the shadowkeeper to alter the rolls?

Besides the 3rd edition system it's much more realistic, extreme focus on improving a single ability(emphasis on extreme) has severe drawbacks to everything else. For example:you sure can engage in extensive weight training and find some time for your master if you're a driven individual but that's about all the time you have,and social interactions above the typical are simply not in schedule(aka high str/int,low wis,cha).In a similar fashion you can attempt to spend your time with a wide variety of activities that will give you a good sum of all stats but nothing extraordinary high.

To summarize: in this specific aspect the 3rd edition rules are simply an upgrade and since it's definately not a gamebreaking aspect why not burrow it?

PS:i was refering just to the numerical aspect of the attributes,the bonuses granted are another discusion,as is the progression with levels(if any).

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    People have requested this before, but I don't think its feasible to implement without changing a lot of other stuff around too.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited August 2012
    I guess if you don't want "lesser" characters, then 3E is actually the worse option. They do have different modifier ranges, but 5 minutes of dice rolling in BG will pretty securely get you a more powerful character than the the 3E approach allows for starting characters.

I wouldn't mind if there were alternate possibilities (such as Standard Array, whatever-you-wish-just-pick-it or a given number of points to distribute), but I think the dice rolling should be left in for nostalgic reasons. Come on, rolling the dice at character creation is half the fun of playing the Infinity Engine games, isn't it? :) And you could always go with the first roll, which is a nice option in my opinion.

Plus, there's always the contractual limitations. I don't think changing character creation is within Beamdog's rights, and most likely particularly not to the 3E rules, as they are neither the "original" BG rules nor the current D&D rules.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    by lesser characters i meant with inferior atributes than those of our companions,how would you feel if imoen your little sis had an average of 3 points above you?and i also stated that the 16+on most stats is unrealistic. 3rd edition fixes both issues.as for the rolling part 5 hrs maybe enough but 5 mins is just...not...anyways you want to keep both it's hardly a problem,but the current system is not satisfying for the reasons stated above.

to summarise i do want my character to be as good as possible and thus i'd feel much better with a limit of how high you can roll,not the only limit being how many times you can press reroll,and i doubt i'm the only one feeling this way.
  • HadarHadar Member Posts: 171
    But the protagonist, Imoen and Sarevok are Children of Bhall so they SHOULD have a lot of point attributes. ;)
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    I understand the discomfort but I dont see what is wrong with the dice rolling, I never spend more than 15mins on the dice rolling, you can easily complete the game with any sort of stats, if they are diabolically bad then reroll, but you will find its the party members and the equipment you use that does the hard work not the difference of 17 str and 18.
    I found NVW nights the worst for character creation, so much choice and with feats, man its a disease how long you can spend making a character haha, still a good game though.

I agree with The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance it should be kept for nostalgia and you can always make rules up, one roll, or three rolls and its quite fun on multiplayer if your comparing roles.

I know you said that you dont like playing a lesser character, it isnt the game engines fault, maybe you just need a little self control and try playing a character which isnt super awesome, by what im reading you want the system changed so your urge to be uber powerful is blocked off by rules. I am not having a dig ive just re-read that and it sounds nasty, but sometimes there things in games we simply cant help but do, I had to always be a druid or shapeshifter in NWN I just simply couldnt play it any other way haha.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I do like the self-balancing of 3rd edition rules, but that is a different game than BG for a lot of reasons:

1) Feats. These boost abilities in specific areas that BG doesn't have (with a few showing VERY late game). Without feats, limiting stats is almost punitive

2) Raising attributes with level-ups. This is a way to get out of the extra 'cost' of higher attributes as you level up. Doesn't work in BG as much, as you don't level as fast as you did in NwN type games.

I would like BG with 3rd edition rules, actually. However, it would take so many changes to the characters and the enemies that it's essentially a major re-write of the game. However, I maintain that all limitations (perceived or real) in using 2nd edition rules also apply to your opponents - limiting the enemy monsters and beings, accordingly. This keeps it fair, I think.

I do re-roll until I get really high stats, mostly as a matter of self-preservation. The wolves require me to have high DEX, CON and (if melee) STR just to live long enough to get to the inn. Maybe I'm not as good with the game as others in this regard.
  • evil_apeevil_ape Member Posts: 32
    @bill_zagoudis : There is something else to think about, dual classing needs at least 15 in the current class' favored attribute and 17 in the favored attribute of the class you wish to dual to (except druids, who have two favored). This would be quite painful to do with a set amount of stat points.

And, why make a change that affects all players when this is something you can do yourself. Chose a total of points you want to play with, then roll until you have at least that amount, redistribute your points and then click done, leaving extra points unspent. There is no reason to fix what's not broken.