Skip to content

[BG:EE] Journal. One big bug

Urd1enUrd1en Member Posts: 84
Guys,

Smth. terrible happens with journal... it's almost one big bug.

EXPECTED:
Completed quest entries are moved to "Done" section.

ACTUAL:
Many of journal quest entries are NOT updated on quest completion.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    For good or ill, it isn't a single bug with the Journal per-se, but rather lots of little bugs with the journal being updated. I won't promise that we'll get them all in the next update, but there certainly will be a lot fewer problems.
  • Urd1enUrd1en Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    Cerevant said:

For good or ill, it isn't a single bug with the Journal per-se, but rather lots of little bugs with the journal being updated.

Maybe it is a one bug with "done flag" processing for a quest entry instance?

edited May 2013
    No, to preserve compatibility with the existing content code, the new journal system has a very manual process. There is an action to post a journal entry into one of the three sections (quest, quest done, and info), and an action to erase a journal entry (regardless of where it is posted). The rest is done by hand on a quest by quest basis. When a quest finishes, it isn't enough to just post a quest done entry - the code has to erase all the related quest entries. There's a feature request to make this a bit more elegant, but it isn't on the short-term roadmap.

The only thing that is really new is that we have some code/data that groups quest entries under collapsable headings. That requires some additional hand work to group the entries, and if the journal entry isn't in a grouping, it doesn't get posted (unless it is an info entry).

On top of the other things I'm working on, I'm whacking these journal bugs as quickly as time permits. We do care. We are working on it.
    Cerevant said:

We do care. We are working on it.

Thanks a lot for the answer @Cerevant
    Good luck ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Samus - thanks, that will be a help!
    edited May 2013
    Cerevant said:

@Samus - thanks, that will be a help!

one more from me

• RB178RB178 Member Posts: 25
    I'm having issues with comments on quests that are put into the journal after the quest is already completed. Ie, pick up melicamp the chicken first, then talk to the kissiq and a separate journal entry is added. Another example, if you get into the goblin caves of firewine bridge through the halfling camp and finish the spirits quest, you get to speak to Poe afterwards. Then you get a journal entry again about these spirits again.
    A seeers vision is another item that will not disappear from the quests.
    Finally, if you finish the thieves quests in BG before the narlen's heist, this quest cannot be completed. This means that the quest entry cannot be cleared from the journal.

I suggest a manual deletion option as a quick fix for these issues. Otherwise I would suggest a completion flag on all the related journal entries, regardless whether they are in the actual journal already (if at all possible).