Skip to content

Cleric/Mage

JaggedJagged Member Posts: 105
I'm planning on starting a cleric/mage multi and running through the trilogy with all the new npcs.

My main question is which deity do you think a cleric/mage would worship? I know Mystra is an obvious choice and I guess I could make a gnome who worships baervar like aerie but I would love to hear some other options.

Also, what are some of your thoughts on this multi?

Thanks!!

Comments

• TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    I usually go with Oghma, myself. Makes sense, Candlekeep and all, but it's really just an easy answer to a hard question.

I like cleric/mages, their interaction with sequencers and contingencies combined with their typically strong lore score a decent character makes. If you find yourself hurting on the ability score front, don't feel too bad about sacrificing wisdom (to an extent), there's 5 increases for it throughout the series, and by the end of the day you usually spend all your mage spells before you've exhausted your cleric ones. Food for Illithids I mean thought.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    They're good fun! I just entered ToB with mine. It's a bit disappointing that I still haven't accessed level 8-9 mage spells by the end of SoA, but I make do with a massive spell selection. My PC is almost impossible to kill save for getting terrible rolls against surprise instant-death spells, and can work extremely well as both a support caster and offensive cannon simultaneously.

I've currently got him set up with the Robe of Vecna, Crom Faeyr, and several other powerful items. Crom Faeyr plus support magic from both schools of magic makes him a legitimate melee threat, and Robe of Vecna allows for fast-casting both cleric and mage spells.

Anyway, that's all I've got. I don't know enough about Forgotton Realms mythology to suggest a diety for you, unfortunately.
  • magpiemagpie Member Posts: 79
    I am playing one through BG1:EE right now (and planning to complete the trilogy). A gnome Cleric/Illusionist, to be precise, and so far I love it. So many spells, so many options. I'm playing more as support at the moment, and my C/I excels in that so far. Both clerics and mages have nice control and buff spells, and you have so many spell slots to put them into!

But I'm most looking forward to the point where the contingencies and sequencers start coming in, so I can finally play around with cleric spells with those.

With regards to the deity, I think Oghma makes sense too, considering your upbringing in Candlekeep.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Depends on alignment, and possibly race. Gond is good for gnomes, humans, and half-elves. Azuth is the god of wizards, Deneir is a servant god of Oghma and covers wards and runes and such, Cyric has an illusion portfolio if you're going Evil gnome, and Kossuth if you like fire-based magic.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2013
    If you go the elf route maybe Erevan Ilesere? Just being a very adventurous character.
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    edited November 2013
    Dat Azuth ending... /shudder

Also, there's Leira, the goddess of deception that Cyric defeated for the illusion portfolio. There's intrigue there from a character in Baldur's Gate who says she didn't die. It's a ticklish thought.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    technically can worship anyone as long as the demeanor fits the bill. Selune and Ilmater are good ones if you roll a good character.
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    Yeah, all my characters worship Selune, since they're all either neutral good, chaotic good, or chaotic neutral. I'd say as long as the god is within 1 step of your alignment and is fitting with your race, any would work.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    @Madhax
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Deities
    Everything you ever needed to know about the multiple pantheon's of the Forgotten Realms.