Skip to content

Multi-player compatibility error? 3 players causes an "Application not responding" error

ZalsonZalson Member Posts: 103
My buddies and I were trying a 3-player game last night via the Beamdog.net servers1, when lo and behold, we kept on having something break.

My buddy2 was trying to host the game (steam version) and my other buddy3 and I were trying to join. M uses Windows and T and I both use Mac (the beamdog version).

M would launch the game and I would join. When T would attempt to join, BG:EE would crap out: application would stop responding and – for that reason – T would have to reboot (because for whatever reason, beamdog’s version overrides the CMD+Tab command from Macs).

We swapped roles after a few more reboots and crashes; I would join our quest last. Unfortunately, I had the same problem as T: T and M would confirm that they had joined the lobby (M still hosting) and I would find the game and attempt to join.

I’d select the appropriate game session, login with the password, and end having the application stop responding at the “Joining Selected Session … This may take a few minutes…” screen. I could move my cursor but the application not responding, which, combined with the inability of Baldur’s Gate to accept the CMD+Tab command, forced me to reboot.

We tried in windowed mode, because that, frankly, made killing the application process easier. But we could never get the game to run with M as host.

When we switched to T as host, we were able to run the game just fine.

Anyway, let me know what additional information I can send along to help resolve this issue.

--
FN: 1. Beamdog.net is more convenient than TCP/IP interface, because, let’s face it:
1. Having to update your ini file each time you switch games is a little bit of bummer.
2. I can’t find the join game option on TCP/IP anymore.
But I digress.

FN 2. Known as M
FN 3. Known as T

Comments

• LiberelliLiberelli Member Posts: 170
    I've been having a very similar issue of late. Last week i was able to host and connect to multiple ppl, up to 4-5 with no issues (both hosting and connecting). The last few days however i cant seem to connect to anyone if there are already two people in, or more. I can also no longer host for more than one person...
    I've no idea what changed, since nothing changed on my end, but it's getting frustrating and i'd like to know what caused this.

Everything is in order to be able to setup or connect as per many guides on this forum, so i'm at a loss.

If anyone has any clue where i'm going wrong, please let me know, for after a year i would very much like to play mp again properly :)
  • DorffasaurusDorffasaurus Member Posts: 1
    Im having the same issue however were all on the steam version and no combination of hosting/joining order has fixed it and the 3 of us can still not play together.
  • BishdarielBishdariel Member Posts: 5
    We had a similar issue:

1 Steam user (Win7)
    2 Beamdog user (Win7 and Mac)

We tried Beamdognet and TCP/IP Protocol and Hamachi in every variation.
    We were only able to start a MP game where everyone could join as long as the Beamdog/Win7 user host the game via Beamdognet. All other possibilities haven´t worked for us.
  • DeioDeio Member Posts: 23
    edited November 2013
    I've come to think of the matchmaking as a true D&D system...
    Gotta roll that D20 and see if you get lucky enough to connect :P
    £Also gotta have high saves vs disconnections
  • ZalsonZalson Member Posts: 103
    An update: this issue looks like it is some kind of compatibility issue between Baldur's Gate and the Steam Overlay. When my buddy turned off his Steam overlay, he saw marked improvement.

We'll try a test game with him host and two joiners via not Steam to see if that's what's up.
    Steam has nothing to do with it on my end, it happens on the regular bd version regardless.
  • Also having this issue. Two people can log on just fine. That third guy's game will freeze when logging on and not be able to join.