Skip to content

Multiplayer - Beamdog.net Protocol Questions

amxmodx1980amxmodx1980 Member Posts: 3
edited November 2013 in Multiplayer
Hi all. I am planning to buy this game as there is STEAM AUTUMN SALE going on. So yea I am pretty (totally) new to this game. I have seen my relative played this game when I was young, and it looks pretty fun, especially dungeons :)

I have some questions regarding Multiplayer on Baldur's Gate.

With regards to multiplayer via Beamdog.net, How does it work? Do we (clients) host the game or the beamdog servers will host for us?

How easy was it to start a multiplayer game via Beamdog.net? Even with routers and firewalls?
Do we need to portforward / configure firewall / use hamachi etc? (Hopefully I do not have to do all these)

While the game is in progress, can other players join an on-going progress games?

If possible can anyone willing to post some screenshots of the multiplayer UI on the game menu?
(List of Rooms, Create Game, Lobby etc)

Talking about mods that I heard from these forums, can I play multiplayer without mods? Especially if I host the game to public, Cause I don't wish to accidentally download some kind of malware etc. (Fresh copy of the game)

Pausing the game during combat in multiplayer to issue combat orders - Is this possible? If yes, generally how does this work?

Is it true that almost all games listed in Beamdog.net are password protected? and why?

Post edited by amxmodx1980 on

Comments

• GumbaGumba Member Posts: 3
    All excellent questions.

> Do we (clients) host the game

This. One person starts a new multiplayer game and becomes the server; players can then join through the matchmaking screen. It looks like BG:EE will become unresponsive if the server ports aren't actually open.

> can I play multiplayer without mods

Yes. What mods you do or don't have installed is completely up to you. MP will run the game that you have on your machine, since you're the server / host.

> Pausing the game during combat

Yes. The host always has those permissions, and can assign them to other players. Permissions don't persist through save games. Be sure to re-assign them every time your players join. There's a "don't spam Pause" functionality built in, where it'll tell you "you paused a lot already, wait" and makes you wait a second. Since combat can be quite hectic at times, I haven't yet seen whether this can become a problem. At lower levels certainly it hasn't been.

> While the game is in progress, can other players join an on-going progress games

Not sure. I think that's possible, but they wouldn't have any characters assigned. Really not sure how that's handled.

> How easy was it to start a multiplayer game via Beamdog.net? Even with routers and firewalls?
    > Do we need to portforward / configure firewall

Your mileage will vary widely. I've heard some people say "it just worked", which suggests that BG:EE 1.2 uses UPnP. If your router is UPnP-capable (most consumer routers are), turn that on, and BG:EE should request ports, and it should "just work". Ditto for your software firewall.

However, in my case, I am running a commercial-grade router without UPnP (Fortigate device), so I ended up having to forward a whole bunch of ports. And Norton, my AV and host firewall, did not realize I was trying to play a game, so for the duration of my games right now, I turn Norton's firewall off. Surely there must be another way - I'll figure that out eventually.

• amxmodx1980amxmodx1980 Member Posts: 3
    Hi there. Thanks for the answer.

One more thing, are almost all the games listed are password protected? and if that happens, i was wondering why?

If possible can anyone willing to post some screenshots of the multiplayer UI on the game menu?
    (List of Rooms, Create Game, Lobby etc)

Thanks
  • GumbaGumba Member Posts: 3
    > One more thing, are almost all the games listed are password protected

You decide whether to set a password. I do, for example, because I play with a friend and don't want to advertise my game as available to everyone.
  • amxmodx1980amxmodx1980 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2013
    Just bought the game today - Almost all the games in Beamdog.net are password protected...
    I don't understand why they do not want to make it public. =.=

Btw, in the event that i do need to open up the ports in the firewall / router, what are the ports needed for hosting the game via beamdog.net protocol?
  • LiberelliLiberelli Member Posts: 170
    The port forwarding shouldnt be nessecary anymore since the matchmaking (could be wrong on that, but i think i read that on the forum somewhere).

I wish there were more open games around but it is quite strenuous getting a random game going. So ppl tend to set up games and invite others in advance, like here on the forum, and they put a pw on. Might have to do something similar for consistent games.

And ppl can always join your game while you're actually playing, it will take you back to the arbitration screen (where ppl create or edit their character).
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106
    In my experience, the port forwarding is still necessary, but only if you want to host, and if your modem doesn't support UPnP (Universal Plug & Play).

I sit behind such a modem (installed by Telenet, my ISP) and could only host games after forwarding the following ports:

2300 to 2400