Skip to content

Modify Epilogues?

Hello all, I'm hoping somebody is able to help out here. I just started a game (couldn't find my original CDs, so I bought the EE) and I immediately remembered how depressing some of the Epilogues are. I've hated BW's penchant for having nearly no happy/satisfying epilogues to games they're involved with for some time now and I'm really hoping there's a way to rewrite these. I know certain mods that include new characters include custom epilogues and that it was possible in BG2, so I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction. I apologize if this has been covered before, but I searched through the forums and didn't find anything relevant.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• KilmantorKilmantor Member Posts: 34
    Isn't it a little strange if you read epilogues at the end that you already know because you've written them yourself?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Well, if you know the epilogues already then it arguably doesn't really matter.

I assume the epilogues are a specific string reference that you could probably edit if you knew what they were.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    They are. Essentially you need an editor like Near Infinity that allows you to edit dialog.tlk. You then do a search for the epilogue you want to alter (like typing in a sentence from it), select it and change it to what you would prefer.
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    Having an alternate epilogue would probably slightly depress me, like when you close a children's book after reading it to a young 'un and you silently yearn tell them "-and the animals discovered that all the peace and happiness couldn't fill their bellies; so the strong and agile culled the weak and the slow. The penguins... they were the first to die!"

I respect the attempt, though, good luck getting it to how you want it.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    In all fairness, most of the BG endings are like your example actually being the ending. So this is more like instead of reading it to the child you hurriedly close the book and tell them something else happened instead.
    Vargnatt
  • wanderfalke66wanderfalke66 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks folks, I'll take a look and see what I find.

This is partly a middle finger to BW and their lack of satisfying or sensible endings (ME being a prime example), and it's a reward to see a decent "future" for the characters I spent time developing. Besides, after a decade of playing through every single storyline and ending seeing something different at the end is a welcome change from the same depressing (to me) endings. I can leave my toons to go off and live satisfying lives and then go play D2 for a total lack of character development :p (as much as I do love that game).

• trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @wanderfalke66 and if you can, don't forget to share your modification as a mod. i'm sure there will be plenty of people wanting to see ending that doesn't lead to ruin as usual (especially evil characters).
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    FWIW, Edwin Romance has a free-standing alternate Viconia epilogue.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Wisp said:

FWIW, Edwin Romance has a free-standing alternate Viconia epilogue.

Indeed. It's an altered "good Viconia" ending and it's a lot nicer than the default one imo.