Skip to content

What are the disadvantages to buying this on Steam?

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but when I bought BG:EE through Beamdog I had a lot of trouble getting it to actually work. I wanna buy BG2:EE and I was thinking about using Steam this time, but I remember how during the "legal issues" era the Steam version couldn't get patched at all. Is there any reasonable guarantee that that isn't likely to happen again? Does Steam always get patches after Beamdog does? What about mods, if people make them for BG2 will I be able to use them with the Steam version?

Comments

• ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    I think the main drawback is just it takes longer to patch. Once the patch is released it then goes through the Steam process. Don't know exactly but might take a few days to a week longer to receive the patch.

During the legal issues no version was patched and the sale of the game through Beamdog website was halted (but not Steam).

As for mods I don't know sorry. I'd imagine most would still work, it's probably just a bit more mucking around because of how folders etc. are setup on your PC through Steam. Does it mention workshop integration?
  • keirankeiran Member Posts: 32
    I believe that the biggest disadvantage is that when you buy on steam less money goes to people who made BG2EE possible. So I really recommend to buy it here :)