Skip to content

Am I the only one who...

Changes existing NPCs to different classes for variety?

I use shadowkeeper, makes the game pretty fun. This most recent playthrough I changed Mazzy into an Archer, Minsc into a barb. I dont go too far as to switch stats or anything and try to keep it within some sort of theme (Mazzy as a ranger kinda makes sense, so does Minsc as a barb).

Anyways, wondering if anyone else does this? I contemplated switching Mazzy into a fighter/thief multi (cause I wanted a thief) and maaaaaaaybe Valygar into a cleric/ranger.

Changing my charname into a different class completely, often half way though a run, is whole 'nother can of worms. I just cant stop!

Comments

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Sounds pretty fun and if I get bored of the current NPCs I might try it. Does shadowkeeper handle all the kit bonuses and stuff or do you have to add em in manually?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I've never actually done it, but I plan in a future run to change Nalia into a Sorceress and Valygar into a Fighter/Thief (the latter mostly because if I turn Nalia into a Sorceress I will have no thief at all). Of course that will be my mythical 'Good' run, which draws ever further away as I make more and more Evil Charnames XD
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    I just turned Jaheira into a pure Druid. And Cernd often to an Avenger. Valygar has been an Archer as well. :-)
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 877
    I haven't done this yet, though I did move Anomen's two proficiency points in spears (which are useless to him) to flails.

If I ever include Cernd in a party I would change his kit (most likely to a Totemic druid), not only because the shapeshifter kit is horrible, but also because it seems completely at odds with his personality.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    I haven't not done it for years, it helps to keep the game fresh. In particular I frequently used the Level1NPCs mod, especially in BG1 since I find vanilla single classes a bit boring.

In my first/present playthrough of BG2EE I have Hexxat as a Shadowdancer (vanilla thieves are meh and I wanted to experience the SD in BG2) and Viconia as a F/C (can't really stand pure-class clerics, they're also meh).

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Usually they're too set in their roles in my mind for me to enjoy that, but in vanilla where Level1NPCs works I usually turn Minsc into a berserker. I also tend to use the BG Tweaks component that turns Montaron into an assassin.
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    Well I've turned Xan into a fighter/mage before in trilogy.... figured he's got a sword might as well use it. XD of course then I had to shadowkeep his sword from the xan npc mod for bg2 so he could use it since changing his class makes him unable to use it.
  • Zodiac_SheepZodiac_Sheep Member Posts: 6
    Minsc is always a Barbarian, Nalia is an Assassin (so she isn't totally outclassed by Imoen and pure-class thief), before Rasaad existed Mazzy was (sometimes) a Monk. I've changed other classes, too. Helps introduce some variety.
  • belascobelasco Member Posts: 18
    I'm trying not to do it this playthrough, but I've done it in the past. Minsc is always a barbarian, sometimes I change Imoen to a sorcerer as I feel it fits her heritage and personality better, sometimes Jahiera is a ranger, Keldorn a fighter/cleric, Anomen a cavalier, Mazzy a real paladin and I give Viconia a few levels in assassin before dualing her to cleric. I've considered wizard slayer or WS/thief for Valygar, and cleric/ranger for Aerie. I'd definitely change Sarevok to a blackguard if it wasn't redundant with Dorn.