Skip to content

Dagger of the Magi

MikaelMikael Member Posts: 33
Hello :)

Can anyone please tell me how to edit my dagger (the one that you get from the mage stronghold) to give it the abilities of the staff of the magi? I just don't like the look of the new staff and I prefer holding a dagger anyway.

Thanks!

Comments

• TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    I want gauntlets myself, I prefer the weaponless look. Doesn't sound as easy to do, though.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    It's fairly easy to do with Near Infinity, which can be found via this forum: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1978/near-infinity.

Just play around with it a little, as long as you save the *.itm files in your override folder you can't go wrong: deleting the *.itm from the override folder will revert the item back to the original in the game.
    edited December 2013
    That should work. Yell at me if you want it different.

Left it as a +1 dagger but striking as +5. I fixed something I noticed in the fireball/lightning combo, wasn't casting instantly for whatever reason on the staff. Also changed the description on the dagger to that of the staff, as, if you're anything like me, you need to read up on it from time to time to re-aquaint yourself with just what the hell it does. It may act drained if you have it already, just rest to get the abilities back. I also left out the status icon on the portraits, because the clutter maddens me, though, I should have at least put prot. from evil, again, shout if you want it different. By rights I should make it a two-handed item, for balancing, but honestly it's no more broken than the staff is.

Drop it in your override to install. I don't think something as small as this needs a Weidu install? Backup your own dagg19.itm just in case.

edit: Also, because you actually inquired how to do it instead of requesting an item being thrown at your face, I used DLTCEP, opened up two instances of the program, opened up the dagger and the staff and started editing the dagger manually. If I was to do it again, I probably would just change the staff to match the dagger, and then save it as the dagger, seems much easier than fiddling with all the extended header special effect-type stuff that I did instead, less chances of making mistakes, too.
    Post edited by Tsyrith on
  • MikaelMikael Member Posts: 33
    @Tsyrith Thanks man! But I do have some problems with it. The item description is invalid :/

And I tried to use DLTCEP but I get some errors and I'm not quite sure which items to open, where to save and stuff like that. I'd appreciate some info on that :)
    edited December 2013
    What was I thinking, of course the descriptions would be invalid, your Dialog.tlk would be different to mine. Doi!

Apologies for this, but I've gone on a bit of a screencap paint-editing spree, and it seemed easier. This is by no means an official and correct way to set up DLTCEP, the only thing that really stumped me was the language in the Weidu options.
    I've thought of a few other things you'd have to edit on the dagger I sent as well. Obviously the name and description strings, there are also a few items in the equipping effects called "protection: from display certain string", you'd need to modify them to point them to the right part of the Dialog.tlk. Also, in the first header there's an effect called Text: Display String that'll need to be directed to the right place, same with the tooltips of headers 2 and 3.

Either modify those few strref's, or get your feet wet and have a go at changing the staff (no really, if you're going to do it, modify the staff into a dagger, a lot less work to do that way) and save it as dagg19.

After you've set DLTCEP up, it should be fairly easy to find things, as you can search by name, but if you're really stumped, the staff is STAF11, the dagger obviously DAGG19. You save your edited items in the override directory to codify the changes.

If you've gotten to that point successfully, congratulations, you'd join a few amongst the many who have suffered under my direction. If there's any further questions you think I can answer, shoot us a message so people don't have to suffer crummy paint edits.
    Post edited by Tsyrith on
    @Tsyrith Ok, I got stuck at phase 5. What weidu do I need? http://weidu.org/main.html#weidu Do I need to install this in the game folder?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Mikael said:

@Tsyrith Ok, I got stuck at phase 5. What weidu do I need? http://weidu.org/main.html#weidu Do I need to install this in the game folder?

Assuming that you are using Windows get this

http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/WeiDU-Windows-236.zip

unzip and move just the file weidu.exe (you don't need the other files) in the game folder, i.e. the folder containing the file chitin.key.
    edited December 2013
    EVRIKA! Thanks @Erg and @Tsyrith

Now one more thing. How do I load an item and makeit a file like the one Tsyrith made. Because so far I only managed to edit the ingame one...altough, not exactly like I wanted.

Edit: I think I figured it out. Before it didn't work to use "save item as" because it told me it is read only or something. But now it works, I guess that's how is done, right?
    Post edited by Mikael on
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    @Mikael

I'm glad that it worked :)

In case others are experiencing the same problem, it can be solved unchecking "Read only" under the menu "Settings" as in the image below: