Skip to content

GUI overview of mods

RB178RB178 Member Posts: 25
With these new enhanced bgee versions, it is great to see the amount of mods that are available and working in harmony together. I've got most of the installed and it all works great. Untill.... a glitch turns up or a new patch comes out and you have to reinstall all of them. Or until you want to get rid of one function inside one of the mods (because of a glitch or something) and you cannot remember which one it was. It's becoming a bit complicated to keep track of it all.

It should not be difficult for a programmer to make a gui for mods. Would this be an idea?
In my opinion it should have the following features:
Overview of available compatible mods with the possibility to instantly download and install them (instead of a post in this newsgroup)
Readme info for each mod
Possibility to easily view all the installed and/or active mods
Possibility to toggle all the different options for the mods
Possibility to easily uninstall a mod
Keeping track of all the changed files by each mod, which also would indicate the compatibility between mods (ie two mods needing the same file in the override folder means only one of the two can be installed or something like that)

This way it could provide with a possibility for dlc as well.

Anyone think this would be a good idea? Maybe the creators would be interested in making this weidu gui?

Cheers!

Comments

• AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    I always find it funny when a non-programmer says something shouldn't be difficult to program...

Well, you're partly right of course. Basic features aren't necessarily difficult, but it just takes a lot of work. Like, a *lot* of work. And you're not even being paid for giving up your spare time working on something that is essentially a luxury, not a necessity.
    Advanced features like tracking compatibility is actually pretty hard to implement...

That said, there's already a GUI tool: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/44567-big-world-setup-beta-testing/ although I don't particularly like it myself.
  • RB178RB178 Member Posts: 25
    Well, after 23 years in IT, I pretty much understand what is hard and what is not. I am aware it takes some effort, but looking at the mods that people have come up with, that is serious work (applauding as I am writing, although it makes typing a bit hard). Therefore I say it should not be hard -compared to all the other stuff that people have come up with-. I am not a programmer myself, but I could probably come up with something workable with some basic scripting. It would take me ages though since I would have to re-invent the wheel over and over again. Since most of the mod installs are identically scripted, it should not be too hard for a programmer to build something. There are so many brilliant people involved here, that there might be someone getting entheausiastic about this.

Cheers!
  • RB178RB178 Member Posts: 25

That said, there's already a GUI tool: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/44567-big-world-setup-beta-testing/ although I don't particularly like it myself.

Checked it out and it looks like it's on the right track... :)