Skip to content

JP McDaniel: aka itmeJP and the creator of Starcraft 2's State of the Game is doing a BGEE letsplay

I don't know how many people on this forum are into Starcraft 2, especially the esports scene, but JP was big in the community and at one point was working for MLG. He's the host of the former podcast State of the Game about Starcraft 2.

I'm bringing him up here because he's never played Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate 2 before and right now he's doing a playthrough of BGEE on his youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE2RcPggOXw

It's really amusing watching someone fresh to the game play through it. Thought I'd give it a shout out here in case anyone is interested.

Also I didn't know what the proper subforum for this one was, so I thought I'd put it here in general for now.

Comments

• AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Thanks for sharing :)
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    "no no no no no no no no no no no no

these portraits suck"
  • magpiemagpie Member Posts: 79
    Will he succeed in his quest to find his character sheet? Will he carry around the broken warhammer for the rest of the game, desperate to repair it? And most importantly, will he eventually find out how to quicksave, instead of manually saving over autosaves? Stand by for episode 3!
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    This was hilarious. I hope he picks up Monti and Xzar =D
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited December 2013
    Oh dear, his character creation... Watching someone not min max in BG feels so weird...
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    edited December 2013
    Madhax said:

He didn't, his half orc's charisma is balls dipped in vinegar(6), and is making in-character decisions likely to expend the small reaction currency he's got, like with Xar and Monty.

His playing of my beloved game brings to mind a homeless man pleasuring himself in a church. I like how his viewers are like "backseat gaming much?" when people tell him how to play the game on a basic level.

Other than that, I've long enjoyed his D&D and Warhammer40k stuff, so I'll keep silent as he continually clicks enemies muttering "jesus, these rolls!" with a 1 APR cleric. Allowances must be made for the very first attempt on the very first game, but by Jove it won't stop me from facepalming the entire time.

Despite all my complaining though, he's not doing too bad for his first try.
    Tsyrith said:

Madhax said:

He didn't, his half orc's charisma is balls dipped in vinegar(6), and is making in-character decisions likely to expend the small reaction currency he's got, like with Xar and Monty.

His playing of my beloved game brings to mind a homeless man pleasuring himself in a church. I like how his viewers are like "backseat gaming much?" when people tell him how to play the game on a basic level.

Other than that, I've long enjoyed his D&D and Warhammer40k stuff, so I'll keep silent as he continually clicks enemies muttering "jesus, these rolls!" with a 1 APR priest. Allowances must be made for the very first attempt on the very first game, but by Jove it won't stop me from facepalming the entire time.

Despite all my complaining though, he's not doing too bad for his first try.
    The face-palming is what I'm enjoying, actually. It's refreshing.

I know he didn't take Monti and Xzar, but seeing as how
    he died
    at the end of the second episode, I'm hoping
    he'll recruit them upon reloading
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Ya the facepalming is great as is the odd lack of min maxing. I think he took like a roll off 77. Unfortunately I have to wait on watching episode 2 till after work
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    If it brings some exposure to the game, I'm all for it. More exposure = more sales.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    I ran right into the game without a tutorial. :O
    This video is awesome.

"Bi***es love books" was a great line.
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    Wow... never in my mind did it occur to kill those cows. Poor cows.
  • EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70
    edited December 2013
    I just love the way his interaction with the UI shows how much gaming has changed, for instance the first time he opens the map in Candlekeep!

Thanks for sharing!
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182

Wow... never in my mind did it occur to kill those cows. Poor cows.

3 xp, ahead of the curve!

Very funny to watch someone discover the game, reminds me when I tried to get my friends into it except here I can't tell him how wrong he is.
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    I had never thought to farm xp from those cows. I'm totally going to level up my character on the respawning cows in the future!
    marceror said:

I had never thought to farm xp from those cows. I'm totally going to level up my character on the respawning cows in the future!

We are learning the game in a whole new way!

I also love how he constantly yells at his charname to shut up. He does a decent job of staying in character and roleplays well....for a StarCraft player.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Actually, I don't think the cows respawn... He just didn't have a weapon equipped so he only knocked it out and it woke up after an attempt to rest
    Did I hear him mention that he's a DM?

Surprising and amusing to watch a DM wander about with seemingly no concept for how proficiencies work. At least he backed out of making his PC dual-wield.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    It was really fun to watch, thanks for sharing it !
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    Kaltzor said:

Actually, I don't think the cows respawn... He just didn't have a weapon equipped so he only knocked it out and it woke up after an attempt to rest

Damn, dash a guy's hopes to the wind why don't you!
  • MeepichiMeepichi Member Posts: 40
    The only thing I don't like about JP, at least with his D&D series on youtube, is he can't seem to speak a sentence without throwing in a f bomb or two. I know by todays standards that probably not too far out of the norm(sadly), but for me it gets annoying after awhile.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Meepichi What, there's probably one or two a video.
  • MeepichiMeepichi Member Posts: 40
    edited December 2013

@Meepichi What, there's probably one or two a video.

im talking about his Rollplay D&D series. I've only watched two of his Baldur's Gate videos so far and he wasn't too bad in those. Oh and I'm exaggerating a bit of course, but he does occasionally go on a f bomb rampage heh.
  • RyuukaRyuuka Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2013
    Madhax said:

Did I hear him mention that he's a DM?

Surprising and amusing to watch a DM wander about with seemingly no concept for how proficiencies work. At least he backed out of making his PC dual-wield.

He is but he just started to DM. He's part of three (soon to be four) live D&D shows that he streams on twitch and then later uploads to youtube. They are Rollplay D&D, Rollplay Dark Heresey (Warhammer 40k), Rollplay Ehbon (This one he's DMing, he's learning while playing) and then the new one I have no idea what it is yet, Rollplay R&D.

I really like JP and the gang he plays D&D with, I'm even subbed to him at twitch. Lot's of fun to see him play my favorite game :)

I'm a bit surprised that he's equipping wrong weapons etc though. I guess he isn't too familiar with them since he has only played clerics and wizards in D&D.

EDIT: The DM of Rollplay D&D is also doing a playtrough, his name is Neal Erickson and goes by the name koibu0 on youtube. He's been playing D&D 2ED for years and is very knowledgeable about the rules and also a great DM imo. He's a lot further a long though. He roleplays a bit but min-maxes a lot more than JP :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Koibu0
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    JP is awesome and SotG was the best thing ever in SC2 :) Watch him!
  • MathiasMathias Member Posts: 21
    so glad he has moved to BG now that SC2 is dead...... OOOOOOO, i went there
  • RyuukaRyuuka Member Posts: 20
    Mathias said:

so glad he has moved to BG now that SC2 is dead...... OOOOOOO, i went there

I wouldn't say dead, maybe dying. He kinda got out a long time ago though. He hasn't played the game in a year or two and state of the game is kinda a once in a blue moon project.

• QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    i had a chuckle watching these thanks for bringing them to my attention.

I still like SC2 but it takes so much of a time investment to maintain competitiveness.

It kind of ends up feeling more like work than fun.

Also i have a hard time drinking and playing sc2 at the same time, unlike BG, so that' s a bit of a drag.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Off topic: I would say that SC2 isn't dead or dying, but rather than it had built up a significant bubble that it couldn't sustain. In the last year we're getting closer to what can be sustained, but I'd like to see a bit better implementation of WCS by Blizzard.

Should I be posting the rest of his episodes as they come up here, or do you think its enough that I link to the first one? Looking for thoughts from the forum!
  • EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70

Should I be posting the rest of his episodes as they come up here, or do you think its enough that I link to the first one? Looking for thoughts from the forum!

I think people who are interested in seeing all the episodes will subscribe to them on YouTube (or at least I did). If you keep following it I would suggest updating once he reaches notable landmarks, maybe once a week or so?

I just watched part 4 and it was fun that he was aware of this thread (or are there others about his stream here?). I agree with him that the idea is that he is doing it for the first time and I hope he doesn't check FAQs and guides and stuff. The random encounter-incident was hilarious and so was his first meeting with Tarnesh!