Skip to content

Fighter/Cleric Weapons

Hello, I'm curious what would be better for a fighter/cleric build weapon/skill wise. I'm sure I read earlier today that staves are the best choice, because there are not enough maces or something? I'd have kinda liked to use mace/shield, unless there is a really cool stave somewhere?

*also, stat wise when rolling up can you get higher than 50 points to spend? I've never seen higher than that.

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Not knowing what new stuff has been added it's hard to say. However in the previous version the best weapon was Warhammer as there is an awesome one which is available early on.

Points, I've personally rolled a combined total of 98 points. Not sure how you are calculating your 50 points though as a total of 75 is the minimum.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    In the original BG, Warhammers were a great, and probably best, choice. Now? I dunno~ We'll see! =3
  • shinkickershinkicker Member Posts: 6
    Warhammers huh? Mmm

I meant 50 points to spend, not including the base stuff, sorry for the confusion there.
    I still don't get it. Are you setting everything to 3 and then having 50 left points to spend? Even then it doesn't work out as different classes have different minimums :D

Set every stat to 10 and then see how many points you have left over. If you have a stat which has to be higher then 10 then make a note of it.

My record is being able to set every stat to 16 (98 points).
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    iv seen few rolls over 100total stats but only few on my few hundred playthroughs.
    edited November 2012
    Ahh, yeah, different base stats. Oh well, stat roll is 18/66 str, 18 dex, 18 Con, 10 Int, 18 wis, 5 Cha. Total of 87, so not the best rolls apparently, but that was the highest I seemed to be able to get after a couple hrs, so maybe my luck just blows. But that is perfectly playable, I haven't ballsed it up?
    Post edited by shinkicker on
    I dont remember if charisma had something to do with turn undead but other than that that roll looks good enough.
    And about the weapon i read somewhere that there could be some mace somewhere that could be decent but not spoiling what and where.
    Charisma having any affect on Turn Undead is a 3rd Edition feature. All BG cares about is the level of the cleric.
    then it might have been iwd2 i was thinking of. or nothing :D
    edited December 2012
    Ah, good good, panicked there for a bit when you said charisma would be needed for Turn Undead, heh.

I managed to get, The Stupifier +1 from... somewhere... during my misadventures traveling down to Naskel.. or maybe even before I got to Beregost, I can't remember since I went a-wandering much to Jahira's whining. Not a bad little mace.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    Hammer and shield is fine, with a sling for back up (Never.EVER..under any circumstance, no matter how drunk/stoned/whatever you are at the time, put points in sword and shield style...it's a MASSIVE waste of points. The Ashadeena is still one of the best weapons in the game, especially for a F/C, considering that you can get it IMMEDIATELY after the prelude.

As for stats, the usual, max str (extra strength roll doesn't matter so much, as you'll be able to buff to 19 at level 3+, and ANY extra strength is a massive step over plain 18), dex, con, 11+ int, as much wisdom as you can spare (not hugely required the ridiculous natural spells per day clerics get, but it does help a little), whatever is left in charisma.

Yeah, turning only uses your level vs their level, and if you're two or more times their HD, they explode (or get controlled if you're evil)

My recommendation would be for ** warhammer, **slings, then the next two points you get ** two weapon style in preparation for the sequel, though by the time you hit level cap, you'll be quite beefy and could probably just go for dual-wielding as a primary weapon style at that point (the sling mostly helps out while the party is still squishy, or for enemies you'd rather not melee).
  • Wolfie83Wolfie83 Member Posts: 3
    Warhammer in BG1 rules for clerics, and flails/maces/warhammers are all good picks for BG2
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited January 2013
    Personally I'm a fan of ** in warhammers to start and ** in dual wield. Later points go into maces, dual wield and flails in no particular order. For a fighter cleric I'd pass on slings and focus on melee, as they make mean tanks due to all the self-buffing they can produce.

There is a very good warhammer available early on. There's a good but unexceptional flail for sale once you get to the city of Baldur's Gate. Maces are an interesting one - there's a +1 mace with a great on-hit ability available very early on and with no combat, and is being touted as the best weapon ingame by some. However, there isn't a +2 mace until very late in the game.

If you're planning on taking this character through to BG2 then flails are a good pick. There's good variety and effectiveness in using flails, maces and warhammers, and you'll likely have enough proficiency points to do all 3 (in BG2).
  • NervaNerva Member Posts: 133
    I stumbled across this thread and had to mention the character stats I rolled up for a Cleric/Ranger in 1998:
    STR: 18/00
    DEX: 18
    CON: 18
    INT: 10
    WIS: 18
    CHA: 9

The total of 91 isn't all that amazing by itself, but combining it with 100% exceptional strength was like winning the lotto. I was never quite certain how I should split the remaining points between INT and CHA. In hindsight I should have thought of the fact a Manual of Gainful Exercise would bump STR to 19 regardless of whether it started at 18/02 or 18/00.