Skip to content

bg2ee wont start - steam edition

Hi,

yep, this is going to be another one of those "game wont start" threads. Im saying that because I have read all the others I could find and neither of the posted suggestions helped.

When I say "wont start" I mean I try to execute the baldur.exe and the process shows up for a split second in the task manager, then disappears and thats about it - no error message, no nothing.

Things Ive tried, that didnt help:

- 32bit graphics - its 2013...
- DEP - I have added an exception for bg2ee within the EMET settings
- Compatibility mode (Vista SP1/2)
- openAL - is installed, steam version comes with it, but it was installed anyhow
- run as Administrator
- ran it from a command line to see possible output - theres none

Apparantly the game crashes so very early, that it doesnt even create the game folder within Documents, so theres no Baldur.ini nor a crash folder.

Heres the kicker: bg1ee works flawlessly on this system.

Is there anything I missed?

Comments

• johndoe12345johndoe12345 Member Posts: 4
    Whoops forgot to mention:

this is a windows 7 x64 pro desktop pc, AMD cpu and ATI gpu (radeon 6850)
  • cactuscoolcactuscool Member Posts: 2
    I'm not familiar with EMET and this might be a silly question, but did you add a DEP exception for "Baldur.exe"?

I have BG and BG2 on Steam. The executable for BG1 is BGEE.exe, but for BG2 it is Baldur.exe.
    yes, baldur.exe. EMET is basically an improvement over the original windows DEP which combines DEP, ASLR, Heap spraying and other exploit mitigation tricks. As such it actually replaces windows' own DEP settings. However I dont think thats particularily relevant since I have set EMET to disable all of its perks for said Baldur.exe
    I have identified the steam integration/DRM to be at fault! I have put a cracked baldur.exe (which removes any and all steam calls) into my steamapps\common\bg2ee (shortened that last bit) folder and now it starts up just fine. The next steam update for bg2ee will most likely replace that exe, but thats not necessarily a bad thing, because said patch may just fix the bug in the first place. But for now I shall continue using the cracked exe on top of my legitimate steam purchase.