Skip to content

JP McDaniel: aka itmeJP and the creator of Starcraft 2's State of the Game is doing a BGEE letsplay

2»

Comments

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I left a comment on one of his videos with a link to this thread @Eleutheros just so that he'd know. The fact that we got a shoutout gives me a little happiness though ^^
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    I hope he doesn't read up on FAQ's either. I also hope he didn't mistake my lambaste as the general attitude of the forum, as doing so would be unkind to those who do Good Works for the new peoples. Ah-me, what's it called again when you can't demonstrate a patience you've been afforded? Hypocrisy? No, probably just plain ol' grouchy.
    It wasn't even just that he got waylayed. He probably could have taken most of them (the 1-2 mob ones) but instead he got the full bandit surround =/
    Tsyrith said:

I hope he doesn't read up on FAQ's either. I also hope he didn't mistake my lambaste as the general attitude of the forum, as doing so would be unkind to those who do Good Works for the new peoples. Ah-me, what's it called again when you can't demonstrate a patience you've been afforded? Hypocrisy? No, probably just plain ol' grouchy.

I agree with you, but honestly I'm almost willing to take bets on how long he manages to go before he needs an FAQ. I know he knows about this thread but I don't think he's reading it. I don't know, its refreshing to see and just overall very amusing. I'm really enjoying it.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited December 2013

It wasn't even just that he got waylayed. He probably could have taken most of them (the 1-2 mob ones) but instead he got the full bandit surround =/

Maybe, but I didn't think a waylay was even possible moving between those 2 areas... Never seen it happen...
    I saw it happen a lot in the original, it definitely feels that waylays in general have been toned down in BGEE.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Fun to watch - rreeaaaly wish he'd given the manual a quick scan beforehand though.
  • EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70

...honestly I'm almost willing to take bets on how long he manages to go before he needs an FAQ. I know he knows about this thread but I don't think he's reading it. I don't know, its refreshing to see and just overall very amusing. I'm really enjoying it.

I thought his comments after meeting Tarnesh, about old and new games, revealed a good attitude. Hopefully he will continue to be motivated enough to buckle down and learn from his mistakes.

I'm probably going to spend a lot more time watching this than I should!

Am enjoying seeing all the low charisma+reputation brushoffs from various NPCs.
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for posting, really fun to see... a bit reminiscent of my first character, who was a "I don't understand stats, I guess these are good" paladin who died to the first thing she encountered (single gibberling...)

I thought his comments after meeting Tarnesh, about old and new games, revealed a good attitude. Hopefully he will continue to be motivated enough to buckle down and learn from his mistakes.

Agree. You've got to have that spirit to play the game. It's also one of the reasons I love it so much... when you're new you run into people who just instakills you over and over (All bounty hunters, random big monsters, random groups of bandits, not to mention goddamn ankhegs and sirens and stuff...)

Judging by how long time he takes for everything, and how bad he and his party is (comparing to one who has played for years, I mean), it'll take him a LOOOONG time to finish the game. Will be interesting to see him go up against Davaeorn, Cloudwulfe, the group under Candlekeep... and of cource the big guy himself. Gonna be rough. Really rough. :D

edit: And Slythe and Krystin honey. Never forget about them. :D
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I haven't finished episode 2 yet. It really does remind me of my first time playing bg2 many years ago.
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    Agreed, as a player I believe the exact moment I knew I was going to love BG was standing beside Phlydia after doing a complete circuit of Candlekeep, talking to each tutorialsage and completing the quests. I knew there was so much more to learn.

It didn't take me long to abuse the game though, I quickly believed that the best and most proper way to play the game was to reimport my character and kill Firebead a bunch. He never did meet any "decent folk".
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    @Tsyrith You know, I have never killed Firebead. I have though, broken the locked chest in the noble's room upstairs, killed the guard and stole his plate mail for early decent armor.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Kaltzor said:

Oh dear, his character creation... Watching someone not min max in BG feels so weird...

You'd cringe at my "Main" Charname. I think he is like a 72. His highest stat is 17 (prior to finding the Tome of INT) and he goes to bed at night with something like 80% of his spells un-cast most evenings.

Where are my updates?!
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632

Kaltzor said:

Oh dear, his character creation... Watching someone not min max in BG feels so weird...

You'd cringe at my "Main" Charname. I think he is like a 72. His highest stat is 17 (prior to finding the Tome of INT) and he goes to bed at night with something like 80% of his spells un-cast most evenings.

That would be like... supernaturally bad, considering the minimum is 75 :) I guess he got the bits of Bhaal that no one else wanted.
    So I was on twitch last night and found this guys twitch stream. He was actually twitching a game of D&D via webcam with 4 or 5 others + a DM. I feel like he should know a bit more about min maxing....
    @CoryNewb

I can see where you're coming from, I haven't watched his other D&D content, if it's 3rd or 4th edition, stats changed a lot. AD&D is quite a different ballpark compared to 3e, 3.5 or 4th, at least in terms of how I view stats. They are a lot more straight forward there.
  • RyuukaRyuuka Member Posts: 20

@CoryNewb

I can see where you're coming from, I haven't watched his other D&D content, if it's 3rd or 4th edition, stats changed a lot. AD&D is quite a different ballpark compared to 3e, 3.5 or 4th, at least in terms of how I view stats. They are a lot more straight forward there.

They play a modified verision of AD&D 2ed. They don't min max a lot though. They focus a lot more on roleplaying and when they began their campaign, non of the players had played D&D before. I don't think he realised he could keep on rolling for as long as he'd like. In their PnP group I think they only get one reroll or something and that's if they roll very bad. :)

I like how Xzar seems to kill the most things in his playthrough... and with Melee attacks.

@CoryNewb

@dragonspear & @ryuuka

That clears it up a bit. My first thought was that maybe he should know more, but if its his first time playing BG, I imagine its his first infinity engine game as well, and I have more understanding for his knowledge. I also thought it was weird how excited he was for 1xp and 5-10 gold pieces, but it must just be me blocking out how noob we all once were...
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    I like watching his stream, he puts together super high quality intros and other cool stuff for his live D&D campaigns.

edited December 2013
    So part 5 is up - the amount of auto-pauses enabled though is a bit jarring. There are so many pauses going on he is constantly giving different orders to his party and wondering why nothing is really happening (such as wondering why a potion hasn't been used when pretty much all of the time since has been spent paused for various reasons).
    Post edited by moody_mage on
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited December 2013
    LOL I started to watch this. This is sick:P
    Had to take a break when he created biography:) Man, this is fun:P How many of you did think that 78 is awesome roll?:P`

EDIT: Oh, boy did he just killed the cows? This is gonna be fu****g awesome:)

EDIT 2: Did you guys wanted to scream "Hey, zoom out for the love of god" too?:P
    I want to yell so many things at him, watching a first timer play and discover the game is quite... interesting.