Skip to content

Need Some Suggestions for EXP/Gear (Stuck in Chapter 2)

I'm definitely doing this to myself, but here's the situation. I'm playing on Insane and only using male characters for their specific quests, most of SCS installed.

I'm in Chapter 2 right now, in the slums having done the Slavers quests in the Slums. CHARNAME is Fighter/Illusionist (EEKeepered to equal a 92 roll imported from BG1 since I wanted to play the class without another run through BG1 first) dual wielding Stone Fire and Sword of Flame (early in the game still). Party is CHARNAME, Jaheira, Nalia, Viconia. The problem is that when I leave the slums because Nalia is angry about not going to D'Arnise Keep fast enough, I'm getting waylaid by a random encounter with 2 mages, bandits, and 10 orogs... Mages are bad enough with SCS, but on insane, Nalia and Viconia are getting chunked in 2 hits from the orogs who run faster than them... Nalia survives a bit longer with stoneskin and then mirror images (if I can get them up in time) but Viconia simply gets chunked as soon as the encounter starts because the orogs are literally on top of me. I'm wondering if there is anything I can get without leaving the slums that will help?

I haven't tried trying to go get Hexxat first, I'm just a bit hesitant that another detour will make Nalia leave. I'm almost thinking it might actually be easier to do the fight with CHARNAME solo at this point, but I'm not sure how I can do that without getting the others chunked first... I figure I can probably web x2 and pump cloudkill/fireball...

I do find it just a bit ridiculous to run into a random encounter this early in the game with ~20 enemies in it that all hit so hard though.

I know I can probably get through a lot easier if I just dropped the difficulty to core rules or removed the random encounter buff in SCS but that just feels like cheating...

Comments

• SpiffyMcBangSpiffyMcBang Member Posts: 160
    edited December 2013
    Since you know the random encounter is coming, have you considered hasting the group just prior to leaving the area? I never tried escaping a random encounter in BG2, so I don't know if that's possible the way it is in BG1, but even if not that would give you a chance to set up without being outrun and kite as necessary. Hit as many people as possible with Chaotic Commands as well to protect against the mage debuffs. I'm not familiar with SCS, but if I was playing on insane that's probably where I would start strategically.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I was playing this at ~ 1AM last night before going to bed for work so I haven't tried that many permutations yet, but I guess since I'm in the slums I can metagame a bit to try to have the perfect spells memorized before moving (I can rest at the Copper Coronet)...

The problem is I can't prebuff for this fight because I'm getting waylaid after 4 hours of travel so the only things that stay on me are stone/iron skin. Also its early enough in the game that only my CHARNAME has chaos, so I guess when I get home I'll try having skins prebuffed and having Nalia web while CHARNAME double chaos right on top of my party. This also seems like a good way to get my own team CCed though...

It was just a bit frustrating that Viconia was getting chunked before I could even get one spell off from her...
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Chaos is party friendly by the way.
    stygga said:

Chaos is party friendly by the way.

Hmmm...

The things you don't remember in 8-9 years away from this game...
  • emjayemjay Member Posts: 84
    Try and find some high level spell scroll that will tip the balance in your favour perhaps. A thought, are orogs vulnerable to cloudkill like umber hulks?
    I think orogs are vulnerable to cloudkill so thats something else I can try, the biggest frustration actually is that with the gear I have right now, only CHARNAME and Jahiera can take any hits at all (I don't have anything to lower Nalia's AC to a point where they ever miss, and Viconia doesn't have a str item yet to let her equip plate).

I'm 90% sure I can win the encounter with just CHARNAME and Jahiera, I just don't know of a way to get the other two out of the way without them being chunked, even dead is fine as I can then raise them (well I'm cheating a bit because Harper's Call is bugged so I just console rez while keeping a slot occupied with Harper's Call).

I'm going to try instantly sanctuary on Viconia and Minor Globe of Invulnerability on Nalia and having them GTFO, maybe that will turn the tide...
    Where is this encounter taking place? I was under the impression it was one of the random city fights. I hardly remember any random outdoor fights. If you were moving from district to district in the city the travel time would be zero.

But, if it is an outdoor fight, that means you can travel safely within the city. Try going to the Adventurer's Mart and see if you can buy a Contingency scroll. Cast it on Nalia with Haste upon seeing an enemy, then travel to wherever you're going. (I'm assuming she's not high enough level to use Contingency yet.) You might also have to find some potions of clarity to avoid chaos effects, since Chaotic Commands wouldn't be an option, but at least you'd be fast enough to get away from the orogs.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Drop nalia and wait some more level before doing her quest.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Invisibility Sphere 10'. At the start of the game I was getting ambushed every time I traveled so I started casting it before every zone change. It lets you get the jump on any encounter or run away if it's too much. You can walk out of sight range and then drop a bunch of webs and cloudkills. It turns impossible fights into simple ones. Invisibility is amazing.
    This is taking place outside while traveling to D'Arnise keep.

I'll figure out a way I guess, it will probably just take a few tries.

You don't realize how much you miss the male characters until you try a run without them, Viconia and Nalia are so squishy on insane difficulty haha, they die in like 2 hits.

Does anyone have a list of the quests that must be started/completed by the end of Chapter 3 or they will be gone by Chapter 6? I think I will try to keep to only doing those for the most part so that I can avoid overleveling myself as compared to Imoen when I get her.

Also is there a point in keeping both Imoen and Nalia? I was thinking of keeping Hexxat and Neera and dropping Nalia.
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    I have not played with SCS but in this situation I always use horror from baal powers or if the fight is too difficult then running away with jaheria invisible dust lasts 24 hours you use it before embarking on way
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    edited December 2013
    Well you could always lower the difficulty for this one encounter then raise it back. Up to you though. I only suggested it because of the whole Nalia might leave if you do another quest.

As for the Nalia vs Imoen debate I don't use them the same way at all. Nalia is to me a mage who can use a bow when she runs out of spells. Imoen I use as both a mage and thief, sometimes I even actually use her backstab since she can magically enhance her strength and cast improved invisibility on herself. Imoen has more thief levels while Nalia can gain more mage levels, I've had them both before in the same party and never had a problem with it. But this is just my personal opinion so yeah.
    Well I'm not doing a no reload challenge so I'm going to try to go do hexxat's quest to get the real one and maybe grab a daystar, see if I get jumped if I don't leave the city... Be a while before I get to play tonight...

Any opinions on whether it's worth it to pay off the cowled wizards with basically the first 5k I made? It's pretty annoying not being able to cast arcane with a party full of arcane casters.

As for Nalia being more of a Mage than Imoen I thought they cap out at the same Mage level... The difference between 4 and 7 is pretty inconsequential when you have millions of exp. I guess Nalia would be higher level when you get her back though if you keep her with you throughout Chapter 2-3.

Maybe I'll just have to improved invis everyone and hope SCS prebuffed mages don't screw me over when I try that.
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    What's the exp cap? XD I have no idea now and its bugging me.

What's the exp cap? XD I have no idea now and its bugging me.

I'm pretty sure it's like 8 million in TOB.
    kryptix said:

Well I'm not doing a no reload challenge so I'm going to try to go do hexxat's quest to get the real one and maybe grab a daystar, see if I get jumped if I don't leave the city... Be a while before I get to play tonight...

Any opinions on whether it's worth it to pay off the cowled wizards with basically the first 5k I made? It's pretty annoying not being able to cast arcane with a party full of arcane casters.

As for Nalia being more of a Mage than Imoen I thought they cap out at the same Mage level... The difference between 4 and 7 is pretty inconsequential when you have millions of exp. I guess Nalia would be higher level when you get her back though if you keep her with you throughout Chapter 2-3.

Maybe I'll just have to improved invis everyone and hope SCS prebuffed mages don't screw me over when I try that.

Did you try Invis Sphere? I honestly don't understand how you're having such a hard time with the encounter. Failing that give everyone invis potions and chug em as soon as the encounter starts. You can pay off the wizards if you want but there are some places you can cast even with the mod. I think the Copper Coronet is one.
    nano said:

Did you try Invis Sphere? I honestly don't understand how you're having such a hard time with the encounter. Failing that give everyone invis potions and chug em as soon as the encounter starts. You can pay off the wizards if you want but there are some places you can cast even with the mod. I think the Copper Coronet is one.

I'll have to do some more testing where I can cast then, I know I can in the sewers at least I'm pretty sure.

I think it's not so much that I'm finding the encounter impossible but rather that without prebuffs, in the five or six tries I had time for last night viconia perma died in all but one and the other one Nalia did. I actually killed everything a couple of times so I'm tempted to say I'd be able to do it with just one or two spells from Nalia as long as I can keep them from getting chunked.

I guess I'd almost be fine if I just modded the game to avoid perma death.

That said, if I have hexxat in my party, will that keep me from using the last rotating slot to do any of the "good" people's quests?
    Well I didn't try to leave Athkatla tonight, actually went and got myself Daystar with a very low level party but I had to cheese it extremely due to SCS (can't leave the Lich's room once your in it and the lich's AI is much better). I'm not sure if anyone else has done this before but I basically got everyone on my team who could cast a raise dead spell and a ton of health potions etc that I've stolen/saved. I ran in my thief hasted and unlocked the chest, this triggered the lich to burn up a ton of contingencies and spells. I waited ~5 minutes for a bunch to wear off and for the gated summons to despawn while I resed Hexxat back in the inn. Ran her in naked again after healing up then grabbed the sword and dropped it by the door before dying. Rinse repeat with basically 4 clerics/Jahiera ressing each other and scrolls after they ran out. After about 30 minutes of this and several reloads when a few of my guys got chunked, the only things still running around in the room were the lich and a few massively high level skeleton warriors that would not despawn. I then breached the lich, came in with CHARNAME hasted with a +3 axe and daystar, used the sunray, and blew up everything in the room in about 2 turns... SO, if your very persistent, you can beat the SCS upgraded lich guarding Daystar with no one higher than level 11!

I don't think I'd recommend my strategy though, its probably much more efficient to put up spell immunities, actually have things like ruby ray and take down the lich's protections before cratering him with melf's + fighters. (I don't have the melf's nerf installed from SCS because I feel like going out of my way to get +4 weapons early to deal with the upgraded enemies also destroys the flow of the game).

That said, things like timestop actually hurt the lich against what I was doing because it emptied out his spell book that much faster. He also never used wish to rest, but I guess implementing wish resting for liches would basically make the fights never ending...
    Liches cast Wish with this mod? Geez. Although, if it works the same way for NPCs as it does for you, and the positive effects are random, he may have simply not gotten the option for resting.
    Well glad to say that I got through the random encounter OK after I stopped being greedy in terms of my consumables, I just gave everyone invis potions, reset away from them, buffed up and blasted them all with a combo of insect swarm, cloudkill and web from off the screen, things died with a very satisfactory crunch. Then breach + dispell on the mages and a couple of hits from daystar and they died.

One issue I definitely have with this game on insane is how squishy your guys are... Enemies that I can one hit kill can do the same to me, so without mage buffs up, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to survive. Its actually making Jahiera way superior to Viconia right now because Viconia just has to sit in a sanctuary and hope it doesn't get taken down because with the mod, every rogue has 2-3 invis potions and they just chain backstab her... (well usually she dies to just one).

I haven't played a rogue in a while but Hexxat is pretty awesome, almost makes me want to EE Keeper her to an assassin, but I'll try to hold off on that :) I'll have to find an RP reason to justify my CG CHARNAME making the human flesh this time around for her haha. Maybe being corrupted by her lover? Or since the humans are already dead, why would I look out for dragon kind? Especially since the silver dragon somewhat tricks me telling me I can't leave without helping her get her eggs...

Do you guys think I should go for level 1 of watcher's keep or planar sphere next?
    See, invis is awesome :)

It also lasts 12 hours (or is it 24?) so it's one of those prebuffs like stoneskin that you can have up any time. Except for those antimagic rooms in Watcher's Keep :(

SCS Liches do cast Wish but they use a modified version. They don't get all the same choices players do, only a set of 4 or so. I know there's Time Stop, mass Breach, mass Improved Haste, and one more that I can't remember atm.

To be fair I don't think DavidW intended SCS to be played on insane so some of the damage might be a little crazy. Though people do it anyways, of course :)
  • ThraxxThraxx Member Posts: 67
    edited December 2013
    Use Emotion spell, or glitterdust with your charname. That's pretty much just free stompfest over those orogs.

Viconia and plate.. just use strength buff from either her or the mages. Equip the plate, there you go. even after rest, it stays on, you just can't take it of, you won't beable to reequip it without the buff,

Quests. I can recommend doing all of the dialog quests in the GY, and returning the bear. Clear out some tombs. Remember to get Namara! The silence spell is so freaking gewd.
    Bridge district, there is one activated from GY district and the tanner. those are easy to do and will gain you loads of exp.
    Did you do the circuss tent in the promenade?
    Trademeet is also realy easy to do, I would do that after the keep.
    edited December 2013
    kryptix said:

Well I didn't try to leave Athkatla tonight, actually went and got myself Daystar with a very low level party but I had to cheese it extremely due to SCS (can't leave the Lich's room once your in it and the lich's AI is much better). I'm not sure if anyone else has done this before but I basically got everyone on my team who could cast a raise dead spell and a ton of health potions etc that I've stolen/saved. I ran in my thief hasted and unlocked the chest, this triggered the lich to burn up a ton of contingencies and spells. I waited ~5 minutes for a bunch to wear off and for the gated summons to despawn while I resed Hexxat back in the inn. Ran her in naked again after healing up then grabbed the sword and dropped it by the door before dying. Rinse repeat with basically 4 clerics/Jahiera ressing each other and scrolls after they ran out. After about 30 minutes of this and several reloads when a few of my guys got chunked, the only things still running around in the room were the lich and a few massively high level skeleton warriors that would not despawn. I then breached the lich, came in with CHARNAME hasted with a +3 axe and daystar, used the sunray, and blew up everything in the room in about 2 turns... SO, if your very persistent, you can beat the SCS upgraded lich guarding Daystar with no one higher than level 11!

I just ran in there with my solo Inquisitor & azuredge. Insta remove all buffs, and then insta gib him.
    Liches are so easy with Inquisitors ^^
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    Thraxx said:

I just ran in there with my solo Inquisitor & azuredge. Insta remove all buffs, and then insta gib him. Liches are so easy with Inquisitors ^^

I think you misspelled "everything"
    Thraxx said:

I just ran in there with my solo Inquisitor & azuredge. Insta remove all buffs, and then insta gib him.

I haven't tried a lich with an inquisitor and SCS, but it feels like this might not work because it would probably trigger their rebuff contingency, but I remember I used to always just have Keldorn go to town on them with Carsomyr + Daystar + Mace of Disruption...

Does anyone know if MOD actually has to connect to do the instant death or if it can trigger from hitting a stoneskin or PfMW?
    Tenrecc said:

Thraxx said:

I just ran in there with my solo Inquisitor & azuredge. Insta remove all buffs, and then insta gib him. Liches are so easy with Inquisitors ^^

I think you misspelled "everything"
    Lucky for me, this is just a random forum on the interwebs :D.
    I'm sorry if, I offended you with my bad spelling and grammar. Maybe, just maybe, one day you will find it in your heart to forgive me.
    kryptix said:

Thraxx said:

I haven't tried a lich with an inquisitor and SCS, but it feels like this might not work because it would probably trigger their rebuff contingency, but I remember I used to always just have Keldorn go to town on them with Carsomyr + Daystar + Mace of Disruption...

Does anyone know if MOD actually has to connect to do the instant death or if it can trigger from hitting a stoneskin or PfMW?
    You can just remove it again. Their dispel has like no casttime.

edited December 2013
    kryptix said:

Thraxx said:

I think effects will trigger if you hit a stoneskin. It only blocks the physical damage. PfMW and other forms of "weapon ineffective" make your attacks whiff completely so no effects will trigger against that.
    nano said:

kryptix said:

Thraxx said:

I think effects will trigger if you hit a stoneskin. It only blocks the physical damage. PfMW and other forms of "weapon ineffective" make your attacks whiff completely so no effects will trigger against that.
    Thanks, that's good to know, now I just need to go pick up MOD, I remember you can still complete the quest even if you give the fake ore to the artist right.