Skip to content

Any better 2H weapon than Carsomyr?

My Cav + Aerie duo are "running riots". Soon gonna go spellhold. Kangaxx got humiliated by Carsomyr.
Im just planning ahead abit, i got another prof point at lvl 15 and have no idea where to put it...
Got ** in 2H swords, 2H style, Axes and Staffs. Staffs is nice for golems and also curious to try Ram.

Im sure i will be perfecly fine by just running Carsomyr the whole game, but is there a weapon that often are more useful in TOB? Ravager?

Comments

• tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    For a paladin its the best imo. Some stuff u can use other stuff on but carsomyr takes the cake
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    Well you can upgrade it to +6 in Throne of Bhaal.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Well, there's Staff of the Magi, but not for Cavaliers.
    Staff of the Ram, again not really for Cavaliers, it's all about the backstab.
    And there's the Impaler, which deals 14-19 damage, which is actually better damage than Carsomyr against non-evil, and great average damage per hit. But that's sort of conditional, and you may as well stick with the two handed swords.

In ToB, there's Gram, which against non-mages probably has the edge over Carsomyr in terms of offensive output, but you'd want to keep the Holy Avenger on a slot for mages.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2013
    Strictly from a damage standpoint (and not including the others that have been mentioned) maybe the Dragon's Breath (just because of all the elemental damage). Except of course against evil creatures. Overall, probably wouldn't be worth the switch.
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    you should try Ravager + 6-> 10% chance of instatnt kill is very nice with 10 hits per raund from high level skill nicere ;)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    The short answer is, not really. The strength of Carsomyr doesn't lie in its damage, but the dispel capabilities it grants. In the late game that's just a too versatile effect to be outdone by damage alone, and tends to end up trivializing many encounters.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Ravager + 6 with Grand-mastery on a fighter trumps it, IMO. The dispel features are nice, but not as reliable as Breach, True Sight, or other spells with protection removal. Carsomyr is an *EXTREMELY* overrated weapon, and many people use it alongside an *EXTREMELY* overrated class *cough*Inquisitor*cough*
  • Once you're tossing around greater whirlwinds and running with improved haste active, the damage differences between Carsomyr and other endgame two-handed weapons becomes rather moot. I'd still be inclined to use Carsomyr for the consistent stripping of buffs and the MR it provides, but I could see an argument for Ravager (based on the chance to decapitate) or Ixil's Spike (if Aerie likes to throw around save debuffs).
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    Bastard Sword for Purifier?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

Carsomyr is an *EXTREMELY* overrated weapon, and many people use it alongside an *EXTREMELY* overrated class *cough*Inquisitor*cough*

I wouldn't call Carsomyr overrated - considering how early it's available, how it can trivialize several fights meant to be very challenging and how late you get weapons that are even somewhat comparable to it, the high regard it's held in seems warranted. Obviously it's not like you need it to be able to survive the game or anything, but it tends to stand out, even more so in early/mid-SoA.

Its power probably stands out more when using SCS though, as vanilla mages are sloppy enough that a somewhat experienced player doesn't have to be as careful with what he does.
  • KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2013

Ravager + 6 with Grand-mastery on a fighter trumps it, IMO. The dispel features are nice, but not as reliable as Breach, True Sight, or other spells with protection removal. Carsomyr is an *EXTREMELY* overrated weapon, and many people use it alongside an *EXTREMELY* overrated class *cough*Inquisitor*cough*

Part of the Inquisitors appeal is that it frees you up to use something other than Carsomyr. I'll agree that it's kind of silly to put the two together. I won't agree that Carsomyr is over rated (good damage, good on hit effect, good daily use effect, magic protection)...its only problem is that it's so good and so accessible that it makes the game boring if you use it.
    @Shire I can't think of anything more useful, but you could always use your points to try fun things (like dual wielding axes in your case).
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    edited December 2013
    I would suggest putting points in 2 weapon figthing and go for another class of good single handed weapons, e.g. flails for FoA and Defender if Easthaven, Hammers for Crom or Axes like Unyielding. That way you have more flexibility and can akso use a shield in specific situations. Take the long view, in ToB you will get a ton more profs.
  • ShireShire Member Posts: 58
    Thanks for all the input guys.
    I decided that my next 4 points will be 2weapon fighting and hammers.
    Dualwield Unyielding and Crom/Runehammer could be interesting to try!
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    While Carsomyr does trivialise certain encounters with dispel on hit, my gripe is that when you would really like it to work it doesn't e.g. a lich with PfMW. There's a few weapons mentioned here that all have their pluses. In the end all my characters dual wield anyway.
  • ShireShire Member Posts: 58
    Far far away in the galaxy i will use my last 2 points in Halberds.
    I remember when i gave Ravager to Sarevok, that was kinda pathetic...
  • ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    edited December 2013
    Dark Justice +5; zweihander that looks like longsword, fixed that in Near Infinity and added it via EE Keeper. I'd say that it beats Carsomyr in some fights. Hadn't found it ingame so far, but I haven't reached Underdark yet. So maybe it is there or it will be added in some future patches, idk.